Tuesday, September 30, 2008

While we try to teach our children all about life...

...Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Isn't that quote so true? For my kids....life is all about snacktime! We have snack times at 10am and 2pm. I made times because I figured we would be more structured that way and I wouldn't get asked 15 million times a day when snack time was. Well....we are sticking to the times...but I still get asked often, when snack time is! Does anyone else have this happen daily???


As part of our schooling (or just whenever we feel like it) we play Brain Quest! My kids just love it! All it is, is questions for kids with answers! So I ask the questions and they try to answer them. The one we have now is geared towards Madelyn's age...but Xavier (who is 5) still tries to answer them too..and sometimes he gets them right!


The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst lovely things. ~Plato

Life is about enjoying God's Creation! Oh...and how my children love to play outside. Our neighbors (whose children have graduated and gone off to college) have a basketball/tennis court built right beside our back yard. They are some of the best neighbors ever.....they let us use it whenever we want...actually encourage anyone in the neighborhood to use it (and in the summer, their pool) any time! It is so kind of them! The kids just love riding their bikes around on it and playing ball!

I truly miss looking forward to snacktime and playing outside. I think my kids have the right idea! :o)

It is paradoxical that many eduactors and parents still differentiate between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital connection between them. ~ Leo F. Buscaglia


10 comments:

  1. Oh how I know about snacktime! My boys are all about that time of day!

    Keep sharing the quotes...I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same exact snack times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first quote is oh, so true!! Kids have a way of showing us what truly is important in life. :) I think a few times I have shared things that my kids have told me. Like I didn't think I was spending enough time with Shane and he told me I really do and he loves me and I'm the best Mom in the world. Or Jer thinks the kids think our house is too small or something but they fight over who can live in the trailer when they're older. I mean they think we're going to build up back and leave the trailer here so they can live here when they're older! LOL Those times I realize that my children are loved and they are happy and that's all that matters :)

    Have a great day!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen!! Loved your posts--I'm playing catch-up. I'm so glad you fall festival was a success. It sure looked fun--I just love fall. Have a great day. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I love the quotes. And snack time... it's such a good thing that I still give myself snacks as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you for homeschooling your kids and for doing it with such great conscience. You really explore the options and use all the opportunities....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post Katy! I can see how much your childern are loved and cared for:)What a blessing to have such wonderful neighbors:)Hope you have a wonderful evening!!!Love and blessings,toni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well all summer that's what I dealt with. I would hear 'I'm hungry" every half hour. I realized that they said that when they were bored. They still do. I will feed them dinner. Within a half hour they are asking for food. I know they aren't hungry. Being overweight runs in my family on my side, so I hate to just give in. Snack time is a great idea. That way, they know when they will get it and how to predict that. Maybe there can be consequences for asking? In my case it's very hard, because my 7 y.o. son is autistic. He asks me 50 times about everything. I'm not sure how to break him of this. I guess it's just the autistic way. but it's still very frustrating. If you figure it out, let me know lol. I could use some energy in those terms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know.. I haven't even *ever* thought about a set snacktime..

    My daughter only sometimes 'gets hungry' and will ask for a piece of candy or a cookie.. so I'd just give it to her.. once, maybe twice a day..

    But I think your idea is very neat! (and structured!) I'm gonna go with you! hehe..

    greetings from the netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter and I would agree with you ..... learning should be play and play is always learning!

    Nice to know you are an early bird, too! The day just isn't long enough on the mornings I sleep in.

    :-) Rosie

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy