Friday, September 26, 2008

Imagination!






"TV. If kids are entertained by two letters, imagine the fun they'll have with twenty six. Open your child's imagination. Open a book. Play a game." ~ anonymous







Am I totally against TV? No. Do I think a life is much happier lived without it? YES! There are so many ways for your kids to experience life. Playing, learning, discovering, imagining! I, in absolutley no way, intend to sound self righteous at all....just want to encourage anyone who reads this....if you have a habit of having the TV on (even as background noise)...turn it off...the whole day till your hubby needs to relax when he gets home. Sure, your kids may whine and complain that they are bored...but they will definitely find things to do. Or you can make up games for them. Make things, laugh, explore, experience God's creation! Sometimes I think about how much time is really wasted in front of the TV...and it really does seem just like a waste.

Again....this is not me sitting in judgement or saying TV is totally horrible or anything. I just know, from my experience...life is so much more fun and fulfilling when we keep the TV off. :o)

My jewelry party went well last night! I still have it open..I am going to ask a few more people...but so far, I have earned $88 in free jewelry! Isn't that exciting? I never expected that. I have a few things picked out that I like...and also some gifts for people picked out! I think everyone had a great time....(i hope!) we all ate and talked and laughed and laughed! It was a lot of fun! Rondell from Tomatoe Creek Prims had asked what all I served for food....
Beer Bread (although, I used soda in it), cut into bite size cubes
Homemade Choc. Chip Cookies
Fruit (supplied by my mom!)
Veggie Tray (supplied by my mom!)

AND....I had these graham cinnamon twist things from Tastefully Simple. Oh my goodness...they were horrid! I mean, seriously HORRID! I tried one..and was gagging...ROFL. My sister thought I was just being dramatic so she tried one and started gagging too!!! LOL It was weird...I LIKE a TON of tastefully simple stuff.....but not those Twisty Graham things....they smell and taste like feet. LOL So...don't ever get those....seriously!!! The Almond Pound Cake is awesome though!!!

Anyhoo.....tomorrow is the Fall Festival! I am so excited! It is a lot of work...and tomorrow evening...we will all be totally beat...but it is a lot of fun too! I can't wait to share it all with you! xoxo

10 comments:

  1. What cute pics of the kids being so busy and having lots of fun! We gave up TV completely 9 years ago...woo hoo! What a blessing!

    love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have provoked thought in me again, Miss Katy... AND you made me laugh - out loud! Feet! HAHA! I guess I won't be trying those!

    I am SO guilty of background TV noise! It's just a bad habit anymore and I have tried to get my husband to agree to give up the tv AND computer for a month, or even a week to see how it goes, but it never goes well. Maybe I'll see if I can run it by him one more time. *sigh...

    Your home looks so quiet and peaceful - even with your kiddos! I wish I could just sit on your front step and enjoy the lack of busy town life. Ahh.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easier these days to turn off the tv because nothing worth watching is on. We watch very little and I love the peace. Glad your party went well. Have so much fun at your fall festival...and a great weekend. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you entertain your children or do they entertain themselves? If the TV is off, I get the "I'm bored" nonsense! I do let my boys watch TV, they have learnt alot from shows like Magic Schoolbus...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh some of my very FAVORITE pics of your kiddo's!!! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post! I loved all the pictures of your kiddos playing and having a good time. Have fun at the festival tomorrow!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Katy for posting about the food you served for the jewelry party, mine isn't until January and the reason for that is I get 100 extra pts which counts for free jewelery.

    When my kids were little, like yours they watched Sesame Street, Electric Co. and others on PBS, with what's on TV now I doubt I'd let them watch TV it is all so terrible and negative, I salute you for giving this a try:)
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  8. The TV is often on in our house but it's background noise, to be honest. I will hear the same commercial 15 times and then finally SEE it and start laughing because I missed what went on! LOL

    I'm almost always doing something else while watching TV in the evenings. My kids are the same way. They're almost always drawing or playing something...last night Shane set up a "store" in his bedroom. None of us are a slave to the TV, that's for sure. I have shows I like to watch but if I miss it, it's not the end of the world, that's for sure! :) A little TV isn't bad and some of the shows really do teach you things (Shane LOVES Animal Planet!) but I do think some people need a limit or they get sucked in and sit there all day or maybe even for days! LOL

    Thanks for sharing all the cute pictures of your kids :)

    I'm happy that your party went well last night. I don't think I have ever tried anything from Tastefully Simple. I'm just not a party person at all. My friend sells Body Shop stuff and I never been to a party or bought a stitch of anything! LOL I'm a meanie :)

    Have a great weekend!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those photos speak a million words! How very precious!

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are just the CUTEST pictures ever! :)

    I'll tell you.. I more or less do hate the TV ;) We have none, by the way.. Chiara has about 10 (carefully chosen!) DVD-s which she watches on the computer.... that should be enough, *lol* Now she has this craze to watch her movies in portuguese or spanish.. don't ask me why?!

    greetings from the netherlands!

    p.s. I'm going to record how many times you say 'pooped' on this blog! *LOL*!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy