Friday, October 22, 2010

Window Star Tutorial

I was asked if I would do a tutorial on making window stars! If you go HERE you can find out how to make window stars that are a little more basic (but still beautiful). The tutorial I am going to do today is of a star pictured above. It's fun, the things you can come up with, trying different folds!

First, you will want to have 8 sheets of kite paper (I am using purple and white, this time). I get my kite paper from HERE. **Always remember, the neater you are with your folding, the better the star will turn out!**

You will want to fold and cut each paper in half...


Fold each half, in half *long ways*, again. Then fold each corner in towards the middle...making a point at either end...


Now, one of the the point ends, you want to fold them into the middle again...


Do the same with the other pointy end so you end up with something that looks like this...(continue this with all the kite paper halves until you have 16 of these.)


On one side, using a glue stick, place glue from the bottom till about halfway up...

Then place another one of the diamonds on top of the first, right on the glue. Line up the side of the top one with the middle of the bottom one...

And continue this pattern (you may also glue down all the folds at the tops of the diamonds...but I don't)...

Finally, you should end up with something that looks like this...


I did this all last night but here is a picture of the brown star, that I took during daylight! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I don't usually answer in the comments, but I will try to this time so that if anyone else has the same question, they will be able to see the answers there. :)

Hope this is as much fun for you as it is for me! I find it very calming to do all the folds! ;)
Thank you for visiting!

Kindly,
Katy :)


The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

18 comments:

  1. you have more patience than me! at least at the moment! you should make me some brown and white stars for the nursery windows! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katy,

    This is almost like Origami! My son made me a flower using pretty much the same technique.

    Yours look lovely...I think I will ask him to make me one for my kitchen window :)

    Thank you Katie, for visiting the cottage. It was a pleasure to meet you.

    In His Grace,

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie! i'll have to try these with my girls.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katie!

    Now to get some kite paper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, what is the dimension of the rectangle you created after cutting the full sheet in half? I want to try this star, but my kite paper is from a different supplier and it looks like it's a different size than your piece you started with.

    Thanks and God bless!

    ~Kelly in MN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,

    They are 16cm x 8cm when cut in half! :)

    I hope that helps! Where do you get your kite paper from? Maybe it has better prices? :)

    Have a great weekend!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the information & you tutorial. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To answer your question Katy, a couple years back I purchased a window star making kit from Hearthsong.

    http://www.hearthsong.com/

    If I recall correctly it was $12.95for the book of 29 star patterns and a tube of kite paper in 10 assorted colors. The book is called Window Stars by Thomas Berger. The kite paper sheets measure 19 3/4" x 14". Last year I ordered two more tubes and I think they were $4.95 each. Spendy, I know. But they're just so beautiful and I love doing them up and giving them as gifts, on top of cookie plates we deliver to the neighbors, trinkets for the nieces/nephews when they visit, etc. Anyway, I didn't do my homework when I had to order more paper to try to find it cheaper somewhere else.

    I poked around on the Hearthsong site tonight to try to confirm the prices I've given you here, but it looks as though they don't carry the kit or the refill paper rolls any longer. Bummer! So I will need to use your link when I run out of paper next time.

    And I see you had white paper. That was not one of the colors in my batches I've purchased from Hearthsong in the past.

    Do you have a star pattern book you work from? If so, will you share the title and author?

    Lastly, an idea I wanted to share with you...I save all my scraps when I'm cutting out my different sized squares for window stars. From the scraps I'll make teeny tiny window stars. Are they adorable! I'll use like 2" squares for folding into each of the points. It's tricky, tiny work, but they turn out so nice. Perfect for sticking inside a greeting card you pop in the mail. A present inside the card without the extra postage. Gotta love that! So many folks have been blessed by the stars I've sent inside their cards. Fun!

    Happy star making, friend!

    Kelly in MN

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to mention that there are only 10 sheets in each tube of paper from the Hearthsong company.

    ~Kelly in MN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that information Kelly. :)

    I do not use any sort of book. I just started by seeing a basic star tutorial on a blog and then I just kept folding to make other stars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for this tutorial, Katy! I look forward to making stars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy, I LOVE your blog! I've enjoyed catching up on it, as I haven't been on the computer as much since our move to San Francisco. But things are getting back to normal now, even though we'll be moving again in June. The kids and I have started making window stars too, only we used tissue paper (my daughter Ann, keeps calling it toilet paper!). I wonder if it's much different from kite paper? I loved how they looked in your windows, so now, my windows look like yours ;) We are not yet masters on your newer techniques, but we're working on it.
    I am homeschooling Ann- Kindergarten and Hannah- Pre-School and Mary (18 mos) just joins in. We are fortunate to send David (6th) and Elijah (3rd) to an excellent private christian school. I am still holding out to homeschool them next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are soooo beautiful Katy! Thank you so much for sharing...I used to go to our local basket shop for a 'relaxing' project but she's closed up shop. :( This might just be what I'm looking for...I'm going have to give these a try once the weather turns cold.
    Thanks again!
    Jenny aka Backwoods Mama at themagicfarmhouse dot wordpress dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful project! We have some huge windows in our kitchen that look a little desolate in the winter after the Christmas decorations come down. These will be perfect to brighten them (and my kitchen) up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you very, very much for sharing!
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are lovely, thank you for sharing. They take me right back to my childhood.
    I have linked to your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy