Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Digging for *Treasure*

You may be curious as to what kind of *treasure* we were digging up. Well, I must tell you, it is some of the best treasure that one could find! Potatoes! :) The potatoes from our garden were ready to dig up. We were all anxious to see how many we would end up with!

We got there a little before my father-in-love and mother-in-love did...so the boys got the bikes and got some riding in before it was time to work.

My children love to ride bikes sooo much, they don't care what color they are...the boys will even ride pink bikes, if that's what is available to them! ;)

Once Chris got there, after work, and his parents, as well...we got to digging. Pa (Chris's dad) used the tractor to do the greatest amount of digging. The children were thrilled with the amount of worms that came to the surface!

I brought a basket with me, thinking the crates would get too heavy to move around a lot...and sure enough, the basket came in handy! We'd fill it up, the children would dump it in the crates and back we would go to filling it up! :)

Compared to years past, we harvested a good amount of potatoes! We have some red and white potatoes!

Slowly filling up the crates...

Xavier and his clever thinking, started carrying loads of potatoes in the bottom of his shirt! ;)

It was quite the hunt and so fun when the ground was pushed away and we could see lots of potatoes sticking out, this way and that!

We also went down and picked our *popcorn*! :) Now we'll let everything dry out a bit before taking the potatoes to the cellar and putting the popcorn into containers.

While we were picking the ears of popcorn, the clouds started rolling in and we started to feel some sprinkles...

It also started to lightning and we decided it was a good time to take in our bounty and head home! (That's the back of the family meat market, below).

After getting home, we all enjoyed some quiet time, reading. It made my heart fill to overflowing as I watched Chris light the oil lamps and sit down and have Xavier read to him. A boy needs his daddy. :)

So the garden is done for another year. We are so thankful for the things the Lord blessed us with. Everything is now, mostly canned or frozen and ready for the winter months! :) Nothing better than the taste of "fresh" food in the winter! Don't you think?

Warmly,
Katy

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

10 comments:

  1. Seeing the littles having fun gathering the potatoes reminds me of the fun I had as a kid. I remember my Pap digging the potatoes & following behind the plow picking up as many as I could carry. This was fun for me & fun for Gram & Pap to watch. As I can tell it was fun for you to watch the littles gather the treasure. How did the potatoes do that were just covered with straw? Blessings to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katy, I'm sorry it's been so long since I visited, but I wanted to drop by and say Hi!

    Your photos of your family are just too precious. We have our seven acres now, but the boys (four of them) are almost all grown up now. I would have loved doing what you do when they were younger. You photos and stories are so inspiring.

    Perhaps this next year I can get in another garden. :o)

    I want to visit more often just to say "Thanks". I never realized until today how many visitors I get from your blogging neighborhood. What a blessing! Thank you so very much for putting me on your sidebar.

    You are a sweetie! Your blog is a breath of fresh air..and honestly, we are so similar that I feel like I'm visiting a neighbor.

    Have a blessed day,
    Donna @ Comin' Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, gotta love a homegrown potato! We didn't get too many this year but they sure were tasty!!! Love the pic with the lamplight and I see Miss Ruthie there listening too;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s always so fun gathering from the garden. Last year we planted popcorn for the first time. We got a late start planting so our cobs were small but they still produced a lot of kernels and the popcorn was so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those potatoes look delicious ...even with all the dirt! They will be great during the upcoming weeks of colder weather. Our neighbor brought us a bushel last week. Oh, they are so tasty. Thank God for the good earth!

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been awhile, I just was stopping in to catch up on all that is going on with you! The kids are getting sooooo big. Great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy, I almost forgot to tell you that your post brought back vivid memories of my Paw-paw hollering directions for exactly 'how' to dig potatoes from his bedroom window. He was supervising me. I was supposedly 'babysitting' him as he was bedridden. Instead, he had me out digging potatoes in his garden. I was 16 at the time. I must say that I treasure those memories.

    Thanks,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you guys did great! I am with you: NOTHING beats homegrown veggies in the wintertime! Your family is so blessed to have all of that! =-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a wonderful feeling!!
    We just love digging for treasure too:)
    Although, we have electricity now we are also lighting our lamp on our table each evening. It is so peaceful.
    Blessings,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  10. We also dug our "treasurers" over the weekend.........all 29 bushel of them! I have never been so tired, but are rejoicing that I can make great meals for my family with our treasurers. I love to see the potatoes roll out of the ground. It gives hubby and I great satisfaction!

    Let us know how your popcorn did. We have never grew that. I bet it's alot of fun to make.

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy