Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Days

I have been asked many times in the past, and again more recently, to do a post on what my day (routine) looks like. Honestly, each day is different...but I will *try* and give a basic idea of what our days look like!

I am up around 5am each day. It's the natural time my body wakes. I haven't used an alarm since high school. Since our computer is in our bedroom, I check my emails, weather and such...then head downstairs. First, in go my contacts as I am not a huge fan of having to wear my glasses. Then I get some breakfast, usually a bowl of cereal or toasted homemade bread, and sit at the dining room table with my Bible.

I pack Chris's lunch and make his coffee, every morning. Around 7, the children are up and ready to start their days! While they feed Cash and Ruthie (our dogs), I get their breakfast. While they eat, I jump in the shower and get dressed for the day.

On this particular day, I had some eggs to wash and also got some laundry started, first thing. Those are things I do, usually, at different times of the day...it just varies! :)

While laundry washes, I do the breakfast dishes while the children get dressed and then go out and feed Baby Stu the lamb and the chickens. Some days, if it is nice, I will notice the children are slow to coming in. Sometimes they try to get in a little bike riding or playing before they have to start thier schooling! ;)

When I went out to hang out some laundry....

...I found the children stacking wood! :)



When I finished hanging out the wash, I told them we needed to go in and get our schoolwork started. They protested and really wanted to stay out and stack wood. I assured them we would come back out, later, to work on it. So in we went and started schooling....

Most days before schooling, we go around and do a quick pick up of anything laying around...such as blankets that need folded and put away, the random book or toy that needs put away etc. When I walk somewhere...if there is something on the floor, for example a piece of paper that needs picked up and thrown away, I will grab it. If it is something one of the children need to put away... I call it to their attention. This way...there aren't things laying around, creating mess.

After schooling comes lunch. After lunch, sometimes we have more schooling to finish, other times the children get finished in the morning. (It all depends on the amount of work they have for that day as well as their focus and resolve to finish.)

The afternoon consists of playing outdoors and in, reading and sometimes, a movie for the littles. This is when I will get bread dough rising (sometimes I do this in the morning, though), do housework (and more laundry, if needed) and knit. Sometimes I will read a bit, if I have time. I will also get dinner started, towards the end of the afternoon.

Constantly, through the day ~ if the children leave anything on the floor, I have them pick it up and put it away. I will also pick up throughout the day, as well. I try to keep the thought in mind that *if I walk by it and it needs done, do it*. Some areas get disorganized at times, such as the kitchen island or my desk in the schoolroom. When I notice that, I start decluttering and organizing. :)

Chris had to work late, on this day, so I worked on some things at my desk and the children came in and started coloring! :) And later, we sat in the living room together and I read another chapter of Little House in the Big Woods to them.

Usually around 6pm is supper. Then I do the supper dishes and we spend time as a family or are outside doing things. Last evening, the children (mostly Madelyn) and I worked on stacking wood.

Then, as the day draws to a close...little ones and big ones, alike, begin yawning. The children get baths and brush their teeth. Most times, Chris tucks them in, but other times I do. I will check the computer, often times, right before bed...then cuddle in with a good book. It's not long before I am asleep! Chris is more of the night owl and I am the early bird! :)

As I said at the beginning, the days each hold treasures (and trials) of their own. No two days are alike. Some days the children and I run errands. Some days I am busy receipting taxes in the afternoon (some months are busier than others). Some days there are squabbles between the littles and other days go a little easier. It all just depends!

I hope I have answered the questions I have been asked and given a little look into my days. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them...although my days are just normal and not overly exciting, probably, to most. They are full and joyful, to me, though!

Also, I believe Jill asked me about the recipe for the granola...I just started to make my own. I put in around 8 cups of oats, and just sprinkle in chopped pecans, sunflower seeds and sliced almonds. Then in a seperate bowl I mix together about 1/2 c. canola oil, 2 tsp. vanilla, and a cup or two of honey or maple syrup. Then I pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture and stir it all together. Sometimes I add more honey or maple syrup if it looks too dry. I spread it out on baking sheets and then bake it for 20 minutes at 350*....stirring it about halfway through. I may add some brown sugar to the next batch, just to try, as well!

We have a wedding to attend today! Chris's cousin is getting married! It's wonderful and an absolute beautiful day for it! It's so weird to think she (Chris's cousin) was just a little older than Madelyn when Chris and I were married! How the time seems to fly by in the breeze, doesn't it?

Also...if you know Jewels, Rosie and Abbie(Aslaug)...you will know that Abbie is getting married today, as well! Her and James, Jewels' son, will be joined together as one, on this very beautiful October day! I pray it is as beautiful there as it is *here* today!!! :) Love is in the air!!! I am overjoyed for everyone...and secretly wishing I could marry my sweet beloved again, as well. ;)

Well, as I sit here, time is a-wastin'. I have bread to make and things to do before getting ready for the wedding which is this afternoon! I hope you have a lovely weekend! Thanks for visitin'!

Warmly,
Katy :)

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

11 comments:

  1. Uh oh, I think one of the reasons Chris was late yesterday was because of my car! But I am so thankful it is fixed! I haven't had much time to read your blog lately, but today I got the chance. I think a routine is so important, but I am bad at keeping to a routine. I am working now, so it is even more important to keep to a routine, so I'm working on it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a typically day around our homestead, although we don't have the schooling time anymore we do have animals and daily chores related to that.

    Love your pictures, feel like home :o) I'm especially partial to the lamps lit on the table, so peaceful and relaxing, thank you for sharing.

    Blessings for your time spent at the special wedding and for the remainder of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your day reminded me of when I homeschooled my children. Even though they are grown and school days are over, my day still looks a lot like yours. Simple rhythem of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics as always Katy, and you have some hard working wood stackers there:)Enjoy the wedding and your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we need to get back on a decent schedule...

    I also am thinking of Abbie and James wedding today...Jewels' family is sweet and precious. I think Abbie fits right in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow....I am feeling guilty, you are one busy woman. And I admire you very much, sounds like your raising a wonderful family. I am a stay at home Grammy, to 5 grands, and let me tell you I am tired come 5:00...smiles, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your granola recipe! :-)
    Have a lovely day!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a reminder that I need a routine in my day! Having two little ones, a two year old and an eight month old, it sure would help things! I like your motto of "If it needs done, do it". I think that will help me from letting things get too messy. I love the pictures you post! Hope you had a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your sharing and the
    Photos, enjoy reading the posts

    Blessings to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Katy,
    Loved reading about your day. Yesterday I wasn't feeling well, so I stayed home from church and rested. I got to catch up on your blog and read some of the archives. So much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for taking time to write about a day in your life. It’s always fun taking a peek at the lives of others; picking up hints and tips along the way.

    Truly one of the best parts of home school is spending our day surrounded with our kids! You cannot learn everyday living in a classroom, hands-on is so much better.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy