Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Mother's Love


A mother's love is something
that no one can explain--
It is made of deep devotion
and of sacrifice and pain. 
It is endless and unselfish
and enduring, come what may,
For nothing can destroy it 
or take that love away.
It is patient and forgiving
when all others are forsaking,
And it never fails or falters
even though the heart is breaking.
It believes beyond believing
when the world around condemns,
And it glows with all the beauty
of the rarest, brightest gems.
It is far beyond defining, 
it defies all explanation,
And it still remains a secret
like the mysteries of creation--
A many-splendored miracle
man cannot understand
And another wonderous evidence
of God's tender, guiding hand.
~Helen Steiner Rice

Mothers, we have been truly gifted with the privilege of caring for, training up and loving our beautiful children. It is by-far one of the *most* difficult jobs ever established. God made *you* a mother. This means He gives you the strength, patience and wisdom to teach your children as they grow. It's not always easy....more often than not it's *hard* work! Knowing that your example will be the most constant influence in your children's lives is a lot of responsibility. Notice I said "example" and not "words". The words we speak are also of great importance...but our daily example of how we live is what our children will notice first! Do our actions match the words we speak? Are we saying one thing but doing another? 

We will never achieve perfection, as mothers (or as women on this side of heaven, for that matter!). We all have a different idea of perfection anyway. Some believe it consists of the perfectly-ordered home with perfectly-behaved children. Some think perfection happens only when "the children are happy"...allowing the child to do and behave however it wants. Others have their own ideas, as well...but the truth is our homes will never be *perfectly* orderly, our children will never behave perfectly and will not always be happy. Life has it's ups and downs...a journey we trod...with one main goal in mind...to raise our children to love Jesus Christ with all their hearts, minds, and souls. Of course, this is a decision only they can make for themselves, but the only way they will learn to love Him in childhood is to see their mother love Him. 

We show our love for our children by loving God, for He *is* love! We show our love for Him by spending time with Him daily in His Word and in prayer. Living selflessly and lovingly to those around us, following in Jesus' example, shows our children how to treat others. Showing forgiveness, as Jesus did for us, teaches them how to also forgive. Loving and respecting your husband teaches young girls the way they are to treat their husbands later in life and the young boys how they should expect a wife to treat them someday! Showing your trust and faith in the Creator will give your children security and instill a trust in them of God, as well, as they see Him care for your family through the years. 

**Constant worrying, worn on your face and shown through your actions can crumble the confidence your children have in God. When you feel the pressures bearing down on you or the trials of life tearing your heart and mind to pieces, remember, just as you wrap your arms wholly around your child reminding them of your unfailing love ~ the One Who loves you *most* is doing the same to you...enveloping you in His love, reminding you how much He loves you (for you are *His* child). He wants you to find rest in Him. True peace can only be obtained when we place all our cares upon Him. He can handle them *all*...we can't.  

Being consistent with discipline (out of love, not anger) is very important. This will teach them proper ways to behave and react to situations (to be inconsistent with our discipline, out of laziness, confuses our children). Discipline can be one of the toughest jobs, in my opinion, but also one of the most important. God disciplines those He loves...we should do the same. God *also* encourages and uplifts us, through His Word. Just as we need to feel encouraged and accepted, our children do as well. There should be a beautiful balance. 

I, like you, deal daily with squabbles between children and times of disobedience. Mix in with that the daily tasks of a busy wife....dishes, laundry, sweeping floors, meal preparations, tidying, and more...and it can be quite a struggle. Our children are only young once...so handling situations that need your attention with them is more important than finishing the dishes. Of course, that doesn't mean letting your chores get out of hand and completely neglected. But, if you are sweeping the floors, and you hear a squabble that needs attending to, set the broom or sweeper aside and handle it. The floors can wait while you teach your children. They (the floors) aren't going anywhere. 

I am *far-from-perfect*...messing up and asking God to forgive me, often. I am learning daily...and suppose I will continue to as the years go by, Lord willing. I am already so grateful for how far God has brought me over the past ten years of motherhood. I often wish I could go back and redo everything correctly....but since I can't, I can only move forward, trying to do things *right* in the present. 

Have you ever visited Above Rubies? I know I have written about it before (about Nancy's beautiful video)....it is a wonderful place of encouragement for wives, mothers and homemakers! I hope you'll take a moment to stop by there, if time allows. These articles are especially uplifting! 

I hope you have found encouragement here. I hope you will, along with me, while praying for your children and your journey of motherhood....remember those women who have not been able to have children. So many have hearts yearning to be a mother. My heart cries for them. I share with them, a bit, in grief as I desire more children...but don't know that I ever will have more. I do realize that I have been abundantly blessed with the treasures I have been given and live with a thankful heart, every moment. Pray for them as if it were *you*...fervently that they will be able to understand God's will for their lives and be content (whether with or without children). The ache may never go away...but there *can* be a peace. 

I'm glad you stopped by today...I pray I shared as God would have me to. 
If you want to...always know you can email me. I love talking to you! 
Warmly,
Katy

A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home


"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late." ~Marie Beyon Ray

7 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post, so true, every aspect of being a Mom is so great, but also so difficult sometimes. After all these years, my son is 18 now, looking back, one of the most difficult things was just letting him be who he was, and not who I wanted him to be. I would not trade my job of being a SAHM for anything, it is a blessing no price could pay. Enjoy visiting with you, I'm still learning too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post today! As a Mom of grown boys, I can say Amen to that. Looking back, I see where I could have done better but you know, I did the best with the knowledge I had at the time. My children's dad died in an accident when they were young and it just reinforces the fact that families are important, a man AND a woman together working to raise children. It was God's plan in the beginning and it still works. Make it a good day, Carline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts today. I feel God is wanting to overhaul families and marriages in this season. I have seen many things around me to believe that He has just a better plan for all of us than we see today and I'm grateful to be on the receiving end of His blessings and teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy,

    You have such a dear heart. Your children are blessed to have you for a mother!

    It is such a blessing and a challenge to disciple these little ones that God gives to us. Praying for wisdom and encouragement for us all!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post Katy, Your blog is always so inspiring and motivating to me. Thank you for all of your words of wisdom and your beautiful writting. You have a gift for expressing your thoughts and feelings that is very helpful to people especially to me. I know I am MANY MANY years older than you yet I learn so much from you. Thanks again
    Blessings,Joann

    ReplyDelete
  6. The post is very true. Our children will grow so fast what an honored role we Momma's play.

    Very true about speaking one thing and living another. My husband always says, More is taught than caught. This convicts me.I long to have my children see a pure hert.

    The photo of you lovin' on your baby is so precious. What a treasure this will be as she grows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katy,
    Thank you so much for all of your wonderful posts lately. It is such a pleasure to read your writings and I have to say, I love the music you pick out. It is beautiful, just like your blog.
    God Bless,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy