Monday, July 4, 2011

Haying


Last week, a few of us went out to help my mom get bales of hay for her horses. We don't make our own hay...but we have a family friend who does.




We use my dad's flatbed. My mom was there, along with Chris, both my boys, a worker of my dad's and me (denim skirt, croc flip-flops and all!).

Xavier...

Jaxson and X...


After our friend baled a bit, we followed behind and picked them up...


Chris and X stacked them on the flatbed...


I drove the flatbed for a while...then mom drove while I threw hay. Yes, indeed, I got teased as I was out there in a skirt and flip-flops...but I am determined that anything someone can do in pants, I can do in a skirt! My flip-flops are very strong (not flimsy ones), so they did just wonderful in the fields!

It was hot, itchy and exhausting...but it feels good to *work* (and burn calories).
After loading it...we took it out to mom's and helped her unload (I think it was 93 bales or so!).


X and Sadie, the dog. She belongs to our family friend! :)


Later that evening, our friends who Chris has been trying to help with their home's electric problems, treated us to some supper at their house. It was very kind of them and we had a nice time (except that Chris had to go on a tow call almost as soon as we got there....when my dad isn't able to do the towing for some reason, Chris is the *on-call* guy...which is fine, but it always seems he and dad get calls right when they are sitting down to eat!). On Fridays, in the summer, my dad does the towing at a local race track. Xavier got to take a turn and go with him. Most Friday evenings, then, Chris is "on-call".

Madelyn, little mother that she is, enjoyed pushing our friends' two-year-old son in his little car...


Jaxson had fun with the sidewalk chalk!


I love to watch little ones write their name!


A couple yards over, there was an amazing flock of geese waddling about! It was beautiful...definitely something I didn't capture too well on my camera! I had to zoom in, as I didn't want to get too close and scare them away. When I zoom too much, sometimes the picture gets a bit fuzzy.



A silly Jaxson...


I have many more photos and adventures to share, in the coming days. But, alas, my clan (after busy Independence Day activities: parade, picnic and swimming) is rumbly in their tumblies and ready for supper! I'm not sure if we will watch any fireworks or not tonight. It may be that we are all so tuckered out, from this long holiday weekend, that we all crawl to our beds and fall asleep as our heads touch the pillows! :)

I hope you have enjoyed your weekend! I look forward to sharing some of mine, with you, sometime soon (Lord willing)! 

Warmly,
Katy 




"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late." ~Marie Beyon Ray

4 comments:

  1. Katy,

    The Amish gals around here help with the haying in their dresses! It can be done!

    Happy Independence Day!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. you live in such a lovely area..

    ReplyDelete
  3. No fireworks for us tonight. We saw some last night and like you we are all tired tonight. A fun filled weekend will do that do you!

    Enjoyed your pictures of haying. I love the smell of freshly cut hay.

    Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do everything I do, in a dress or skirt! :)
    I'm guessing that chucking 93 bales of hay was pretty tiring!

    We were invited by some friends to come over tonight for a grill out and fireworks, we had a great time but I am ready for my comfy bed!

    Glad you and your family had a wonderful Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy