Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The days have gone by much too fast...

My Madelyn is ten years old today! I can't quite grasp where all the years have gone! I remember being pregnant with her...from the beginning of terrible all-day sickness (my body doesn't understand the term "morning" sickness)...to the exciting end when Chris and I realized that soon, on that Friday the 13th, our child would be in our arms! She was met with much joy and excitement from everyone in our families, as she was the *first* grandchild and niece on both sides! I think she was born with the ability to draw people in. She is so easy to love. I am so incredibly thankful for her.


She has been growing, day-by-day, into a beautiful young lady. Sometimes, I find it hard to believe that God gifted Madelyn to *me*. What an honor it is to be her mother! She is beautifully unique. She's *that girl* with the crazy curls and the smile that lights up a room!


I type through tears...reflecting feelings of both happiness and sadness. We have beautiful memories and I look forward to the days to come. I feel overwhelmingly blessed to have had these past ten years with my girl...but then moments of doubt creep in. Could I have been a better mother? What things could I have done differently? As my firstborn, she gave me the title of *mother*...as I learned, daily, about how to be selfless and responsible for this new life! I feel I wasn't as selfless as I should have been (oh, how age and hindsight can bring so much wisdom to our minds, yes?). But, as my mom says, I need to come to a peace about it and move forward. As mothers, though, do we *ever* feel we are good enough as a parent? I just want Madelyn (and all of my children) to know how very much I *love* them...


Today has started slow and simple...cheesy scrambled eggs for breakfast and lots of loving birthday wishes through phone calls and cards. I have sung (numerous times) to Madelyn...different birthday songs and sayings. We'll be having lunch with Grammie today...and have some plans with Aunt Nen and Eloise for tomorrow! We still have VBS this week...so we can't do anything *tonight*...but I am hoping this weekend, we can have a picnic at the pavillion and thank God for the ten beautiful years of Madelyn's life He has given!

 







 I know that God *has* and *will* use Madelyn to touch the lives of others for His glory. I love that He loves her and that the feeling is mutual. 


"Your life is a gift from the Creator. Your gift back to the Creator is what you do with your life."
~Billy Mills

Enjoy the day! 
Warmly,
Katy
"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late." ~Marie Beyon Ray

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday dear sweet Madelyn...May God continue to bless you with many many more wonderful years, and may he continue to speak to your heart as you grow into a beautiful young lady. Katy you are doing a wonderful job on raising and loving your children. I know I am basis this off of your blog but in your words and in your posts you can tell you have a great and awesome love for your family and may God continue to show you the ways of him. Thank you so much for your inspiration to me and many others out here in the blogging world.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, lovely and kind 10 year old girl you have, Katy! By reading your posts so long, I believe you are a wonderful mother, but all of us mothers wonder if we were good or not. My babies are 33 and 31. They grow up fast, so enjoy then. Happy 10th birthday to Madelyn!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. happpppppy birthday sweet maddykins! we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to a beautiful young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, you have the sweetest post ever! Madelyn is a beautiful young lady and I'm sure if she is anything like her mother is beautiful on the inside as well!

    The love of your family shines through your post, from reading it appears you have done a wonderful job of being a mother.

    Happy birthday Madelyn!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy,

    Such beautiful words written to and about your daughter. I pray the Lord's Blessings upon her and you as her mom. She and the rest of your family are truly Blessed and one day they will rise up and call you Blessed.

    God Bless,

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your dear, sweet girl! She sure is growing into a beautiful young lady:) I think we all as parents sometimes wonder if we are good enough for our kids, but my thoughts are if we weren't, we wouldn't wonder;) Enjoy her special day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaawww . . . (: (: (:

    Happy Birthday Madelyn!!

    Beautiful girl - - Beautiful blessing!

    I think you're doing a fabulous job with your babies Katy! (:

    Have a great day!

    Louisville, KY (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, sweet Madelyn. I know you are a wonderful daughter and sister. Hope this day is fabulous!

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Sweet Little Lady
    Madelyn my favorite photo of you
    is the one of your wearing the
    Hat ... Love it...
    have a very special day...
    Blessings and Hugs...
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Madelyn!

    May God continue to shed His grace on you....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl. Isn't it wonderful that a blog post allows you to document the years of her life with photographs in chronological order - it is like watching a flower come into blossom as each petal unfolds. I just realized that is an apt description considering the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are wonderfully gifted at making me cry. I guess it's because I have a daughter almost the same age and relate fully to what you have written.

    You daughter is a lovely princess. Not one of us feels we have been a perfect mother. I love my children more than life itself and yet we all have regrets and things we would change.

    Time has taught me not to parent according to other peoples expectations.

    sad and happy to imagine what life will look like in another short ten years huh?

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy