Friday, July 22, 2011

"My blanket....

...I can't be without it!" 
~Linus van Pelt (from Peanuts)


Jaxson is five and still has a blanky....and I have no intentions of breaking him from it (at least, not yet). He has loved his blanky for some time now. He sleeps with it and carries it around. (Although, it is kept at home...it isn't something he takes places with him).

The beautiful blanket you see in these pictures is *not* Jax's original. His first blanky was basically in shreds....he had loved it fiercely and, over time, it began falling apart, bit-by-bit. My mom offered to take his old one away and to make him a new one...but he still *wanted* his old one. It was his security...he loved to smell it and hug it. It's been washed numerous times...but still has a *smell* to it he so loves. In the spirit of compromise, my mom took his blanky and sewed it into a new one!

 Between these layers of "buggy blanket" (as it has VW bugs on it...a Jaxson favorite)...is his old, much-loved, much-hugged blanky. My mom was careful to sew it in there. She sewed it at my sister's house...while I snuggled Eloise (lucky me!). Before sewing it up to finish, my mom showed Jaxson the edge...so he could see that the old blanky was, indeed, in the middle of the freshly-sewn blanky! This reassured him that it wasn't a *new* blanky...but just a transformation of the *old* one! :)


Jaxson just loves it. Since coming home (from Devon's) yesterday...he hasn't parted with it. He woke this morning, wiping sleep from his eyes as he plodded into the living room, blanky in hand. He climbed up in the chair and dozed back into dream-land, covered with his blanky, despite the fact that it was over 80* in here! If you are reading this, Mom, thanks so much! It's just great! :) 

It's hot here...92* outside...and inside, the house is sizzling at 88*! We have the fans going, which helps....and we may retreat to my bedroom at some point (where there is a little a/c). Because of the heat (and my horrible tendency to get terrible heat-headaches), we are taking it easy today...light cleaning, knitting, reading, watching movies and such. I hope you're finding ways to beat this heat! 

Kindly,
Katy



Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 
1 Peter 1:2b

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he loves it. Those special things need to be preserved and allowed... he isn't immobilized if he's without it - he just loves it!

    Encasing his old blanket was time well spent. ANd now it has extra love added to it... from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful blankie! My son had his that I made before he was born until he was 6, I had to re-sew it many, MANY times, LOL! Hope the headaches stay away, my best friend gets Migraines triggered by the heat, no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! The smile on his face says it all!
    ~Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful. My daughter has a blankie too. Neat idea to sew the old into the new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful grandma to make his old blanky into a new one! My oldest son, who is now six, used to carry around his cozy (blanket) with him everywhere and inherited the name Linus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Special Grandma and special blanky!

    Sweet! Several of my kids had special blankies...they loved them until they literally fell apart.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so sweet! I would let him have it as long as he wanted!

    Take care and try to stay cool....It's 95 degrees here today, but the heat index is 105! It is terribly hot!

    Have a great weekend, Katy!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww that is precious!
    How sweet of your Momma to do that for him... and what a keepsake it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son is 7 and still has a blanky. It also is his second one. The first one was in shreds and we kept throwing away pieces. We had to find one that had the same feel to it. He only uses it for bed now. Although when he was smaller the blanky went everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy, I feel for you. We do not have AC either, just fans. It is 85 in the house, at 8 am. I can't wait until tomorrow. We are to get rain! I've lived in PA almost all my life. I do not remember it being this hot and muggy for this long at a time. (Yep, you know we'll be complaining about the cold in about 4 months. haha)

    I love the blanket idea! A special son you have there.

    Your sister in Him,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww, Katy! The idea your mom came up with is AWESOME and it gives me an idea of what to do with my own 'grammy" blanket, which is a quilt my grandmother made for me years and years ago. I still have it, but alas, there are tatters and tears. When I read what your mom did, it made me almost want to cry for joy that the Lord would give me an idea of what I could do with that dear old quilt of mine. I can't bear to part with it, mostly because Grandma Wilson made it especially for me! (Yeah, I'm sentimental!)

    Love your posts, by the way....even if I don't comment too often! I do read them.....and want to encourage you to keep on being exactly who God created you to be! Your heart for Him is evident, sweet friend! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet that his blanket was used! Megan has a bunny blanket that she loves and sleeps with. I understand how important they can be!

    We are suppose to cool off Monday with a high of only 89*! Hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Katy, My friend told me about your blog today, as I have a blog called www.country-blossoms.blogspot.com - I too am a Christian, although I am much older than you (I am 56) so my daughters are grown, and I now have grandchildren to love as well. I just love your blog, and the music (how do you do that??). I live in South Australia. My friend is not a Christian, but because she talked about your blog, I am hoping that much of your faith & sharing has touched her heart. I have been praying for her for a long time. I have become a Follower of your blog, and will come back to visit lots more. Hugs n Blessings from Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats so sweet..nothing wrong with loving your blankie..
    speaking of blankies, did you ever post a pic of your sister blankie that you were making? i must of missed it then..i cant remember..

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea for her to put his old blankey in there and make sure he saw it! My little boy has a blankey too that he loves to bits. So this was particularly heartwarming for me... :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy