Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Then followed that beautiful season....Summer...

 ...Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscape
Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
It's hot here. I think it's hot *everywhere*! I suppose this is to be expected of the summer (although, without *wishing* time away, I am definitely looking forward to fall!). Today, I have some summer-time photos to share!

In the kitchen...



Some knitting projects...


The basket of much-used doilies, table runners etc...


 Laundry, always gracing my clotheslines on nice days...


Chris, after work most days, is busy on the garage roof. He is attaching steel sheets to it, to protect the wood beams that are being wettened in the rain due to a leaky roof. He is working hard and doing a great job. He is about halfway done! :)


 Hot summer days end up with evenings spent in the neighbor's pool. There goes Xavier-the-Fish!


 Dinner, one evening...angel hair spaghetti (our favorite) with my homemade canned sauce and wheat bread (my wheat bread loaves collapsed while baking...I never have much luck with wheat flour!)...


X, outside, getting water for the chickens...



 On hot days, we keep the curtains down...it helps keep some of the sun out! They look pretty when the fan is blowing a bit of a breeze and they *dance*...


For supper, tonight, I made Sausage Gravy and Biscuits. Although, I used homemade buttermilk biscuits (rather than from a can) and fresh, loose sausage. It turned out really delicious and quickly became a family favorite!



The table, set for supper...


Today was grocery day...so, after doing some menu planning and grocery list making, off we headed, this morning! I must admit, I think I lingered a bit, in the grocery store, as the temperature in there was just perfect! Hanging laundry out, today, was a draining chore...as water dripped from every pore in  my body! **My water bottle is my best friend during the summer days!** In order to be out of the heat for a bit, I spent time in my bedroom (which we do have AC going in) and changed the bedding as well as cleaned out the linen closet (it needed a good tidying). The children enjoyed some swimming today...which helped them cool down immensely! What have you been doing to beat-the-heat? :) 

I hope you are enjoying your days...each one. I'm so glad you stopped by...please do say *hello*. It's always great to hear from you! 
Warmly,
Katy

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1 Peter 1:2b

20 comments:

  1. you should really try my wheat bread recipe! it's so good!

    xavier is brave... i wouldn't even do that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those biscuits and gravy look so yummy!!!I've either been in the pool or inside with the AC on, as I'm getting older the heat just makes me sick:( stay cool and thanks for sharing the wonderful pics:) Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, I love your simple homey posts. May I suggest a wonderful bread recipe (includes videos)? I have been baking whole wheat bread for many years, but this recipe tops them all. It produces lovely, soft and tender bread using 100% whole wheat flour.

    http://everydayfoodstorage.net/wonders-of-bread

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Katy, loving your pictures, my fellows love biscuits & gravy! The summer is very draining for us all, but like you, I try to savor the moments. These days fly too quickly by. Enjoying reading your blog, blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are enjoying the pool! The kids must love it! I know I love ours! LOL! You have many things to keep you busy....that's the way summer goes..I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The biscuits and gravy look delicious! We lived for many years without central air conditioning in the house, but now I'm grateful to have it. I keep it set fairly high at 78 but it sure beats 90 something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pool looks wonderful. No a/c here but I so wish for it. I sayed in the truck a bit longer today just to be in a/c. To bad gas cost to much for this. I baked cupcakes & decrared them. My icing roses melted into blobs. Fall will arrive before we know it. Your bread always looks good. I really like your table. The bench placed on one side is so pretty. Always looks homey & welcoming each time I visit. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  9. the pictures are wonderful thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you have a/c in your bedroom! It is so hot here!

    We love biscuits and gravy - yours looks really good!

    Glad you have access to a pool too, fun for the kids.

    Blessings
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister in law and great niece are headed over from Bedford today. Swimming this afternoon and then a cold supper. It is to get up to 98 today! Thankful for cold wet areas to swim! And trees for shade! We are seriously praying for rain. Have a blessed day, Katy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katy,
    here in The Netherlands it's much colder. It is not as warm as it's supposed to be at this time of year. We've had a lot of rain too.
    Your gravy looks very delicious and so do the biscuits. I will have to try that sometime. We don't know that here. Do you eat it with veggies ?
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Katy, I do love coming to your site, you post from the heart, and I love it! Now... I am hungry too, the biscuits and gravy look amazing! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's terribly hot here and we've been working on our pool house project. We are usually drenched by the time we come in. Thank the Lord we have a/c for when we work inside though!

    Your gravy and biscuits looked wonderful! I like that kind of supper!

    I do enjoy the simple daily life posts too, Katy!

    Have a great summer day! :)
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely post...the heat here is terrible...I sat on my porch this morning and watch leaves fall from the trees...poor things they are dieing of thirst....I for one with very much welcome Autumn...for sure and for certain :)
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  16. My wheat bread always seems heavy I just don't understand it....swimming is keeping our kiddos cool too and I am also ready for fall weather. Fall is my favorite time of the year! Have a great week! Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super hot here too! Mostly keeping us indoors, library visits, etc.
    Love the first picture of your house and the sunshine. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just thinking about you Katy . . . and remembered you were supposed to have your wisdom teeth extracted.

    Hope all is well! (:

    Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to have the same trouble with my fresh ground whole wheat bread not rising. I couldn’t understand why until I talked to a friend who is an expert on grains; she recommended adding vital wheat gluten, 2 heaping tablespoons to a single loaf recipe or 4 heaping tablespoons to a double loaf recipe.
    My local Wal-Mart sells vital wheat gluten in a small box for under 2-dollars. It really made a difference.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy