Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day,
To-morrow will be dying."
~ Robert Herrick

In a conversation with my sister, we each acknowledged and commented on the fact that the time is truly flying by...nary a moment to catch our breath, it seems. The bittersweet days of watching our children grow seem to fly by all-too-quickly. I treasure the amount of time I get to spend with them while getting to be a stay-at-home mama...as well as the privilege of being their *teacher* through home education. But sometimes, I feel as though it is not enough. I am thankful for my memories and also the gift of pictures to remember times past...but I realize that I am truly forgetting so much. I wish I could take every moment and put it in it's own bottle and *keep* it...safe from the abyss where forgotten memories plunge (never to be heard from again).


"The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family." 
~Thomas Jefferson

It all makes me want to laugh....and yet cry. I'm so happy for the moments I have lived (even the difficult ones, as I have learned so much from them)....but I am sad that they are gone, never to come again. I know this is how God made things and He *always* knows best....for, we would never be able to make *new* memories if we were only re-living the same ones, over and over. I suppose, spending time over-fixated on the past is not beneficial for living right *now*! As my Madelyn nears the age of double-digits (goodness, I remember when I was celebrating being a double-digit age for the first time!), as her birthday approaches, I am just mixed with a flurry of emotions...it's truly difficult to explain.

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day."
~Alexander Woollcott

Some days, it's difficult to enjoy every moment. There are times when the children bicker or I struggle with a headache. Moments of selfishness and wrong priority focus can steal the treasures in life. Then, later, I feel disappointed with myself for wasting precious time. As a human (and a Christian) I expect times of difficulty and pain, turmoil and frustration. It's our focus that is important...the proper perspective. We need to be content and thankful for what we are given...each moment we have...and keep an eye on the goal...an eternal life with God. When we put things in that perspective, the cares and trials of this world seem insignificant, don't they?

Reading in the book of Ruth, in my bible, has reminded me of all this. Naomi lost her husband, then both her sons died. She was left with, in her eyes, nothing. But God had a plan...He always knows the greater plan, doesn't He? I, in my simple mind, question and disagree with how things may be going in my life...but nothing happens randomly...for His plan is greater than any plan we have in mind! Through Naomi's daughter-in-law, Ruth, and their kinsman redeemer, came Obed...who then begot Jesse, the father of King David! Then, down through the lineage, we know that this was the line of Jesus! While Naomi was struggling through the loss of her husband, and then both her sons....through her pain, she certainly couldn't foresee that she would be in the lineage of the Messiah! But, again, God had a plan. How good He is and how often I seem to forget during my daily struggles.

Our days *are* important...not because we are special...but because our God is special and loves us...how blessed we are to be His children. He knit each of us together in our mother's womb because He has a plan for our lives. We don't see it (and even when we *think* we see it, we end up somewhere we didn't expect!). It is all for His glory! Trust Him for He knows what is best!

Last evening, we went out to water the garden....it took a bit of time. In our worrying about the plants' thirst, we forgot our own and with the heat adding to it all, I came home with a whopper of a headache. So, Chris and the children got me some water and kindly tucked me into bed. Thankfully, I awoke this morning feeling *much* better! I am so grateful too, for today is grocery day...I have menus to plan, grocery lists to make and a fridge to clean out! :)

Before I go...

We attended more than one picnic during the holiday weekend. Below are some moments captured on film to serve as memories in the coming years! (Chris and the children were looking at some blog books of mine, from years past, and it's fun to *remember*!)...

Jaxson is on the top of that dirt pile...


Filling our bellies...




My Chris is on the right there, and that's Papa Bull in the red and a second cousin beside him! (Papa Bull got his name because that is how Madelyn pronounced Grandpa Bill when she was little...the name has stuck!)...


Chris and Xavier...


Playing horseshoes...


And finally, just because this one is so funny...


Have a great day...for it *is* a day that the Lord has made! 
Warmly,
Katy

Edited to add: I just read THIS post by sweet Ann...it is speaking exactly what my heart is lately! :)

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late." ~Marie Beyon Ray

8 comments:

  1. Katy -

    You are being an intentional Mother and wife. You do things on purpose! This is so rare. I honor your for your choices. Don't long for the days past - enjoy the memories, as they are the things that bond you together - but look to the days ahead with joy!

    Blessings!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I love the book of Ruth, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes get a little teary when I think of my sweet girl growing up. She just had her fifth birthday and I can't believe how fast it has gone! The great thing is that each year brings more and more joy to my heart.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you read my recent post 'Don't Miss the Moments?' We are thinking the same kind of thoughts. I was compelled to write it after seeing so many people tell a young mother she should take up a job she had been offered after she asked for advice on Facebook. They were all saying 'Oh don't miss this opportunity, it might not come again!' And this was a mainly Christian community! I felt like the lone voice crying out in the wilderness.
    I just love that quote by Thomas Jefferson - I will have to write that one down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your blog, Katy! I find so much encouragement and inspiration. I too find that I long for days gone by with my children, and they're only 2 1/2 and 17 months! I think it's only natural for us mothers.
    So glad you're feeeling better from your headache!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Book of Ruth in the Bible
    has away of putting many things
    in focus for us Love reading it...
    Katy your post is awesome,thanks
    for sharing from the heart...:-)

    Joyful Blessings
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Katy,

    You are so real and very honest. May you and yours be richly blessed as you journey through this time in your life.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the dirt pile. My boys would love that! What is it with boys and dirt? :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy