Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Veggie Garden

"In order to live off a garden, you practically have to live in it."
~ Frank McKinney Hubbard

We have been spending time planting in our large garden that we share with Ma and Pa (Chris's parents). We get a bit over-zealous about how much we plant....actually, this is not the whole truth. **Ma** gets us to plant a lot. ;) At the time, as sweat pours down your brow and your mouth is parched and crying out desperately for some water, it seems torturous to plant "just one more row"....but in the end...when all the lovely plants and seeds have blossomed their wonderful bounty, we are thankful for the effort we put in previously. We are thankful that Ma pushes us as she does, in her gentle and loving way.

Let's see if I can remember everything we have planted, so far, this year...I think we have four rows of potatoes, green beans, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, lima beans, tomatoes, onions and 10 (yes, I did just type the number ten!) rows of sweet corn!!! There may be some things I am forgetting, as well. We have more things to plant too (such as zucchini and cucumbers, pumpkins and more!).

My Madelyn is such a good helper. The boys help too, but they really love rolling in the dirt. Madelyn works right alongside Ma, her daddy or me! I am thankful for her help...it's a joy to watch your children mature and take responsibility! :)

I have some photos to share of our gardening adventures. I don't take my camera every night (and each night I forget to, something worth capturing on film happens!)

Jaxson and Madelyn...

Xavier, wanting to help plow the rows...

Pa, on the tractor, with Chris plowing the rows with Jaxson not far behind! ;)

My sweet girl and her hat...

The boys, just itching to take a ride (and Abbie, the dog)...

We're going to have some weeding to do, soon...


Ma, in the garden...

Chris, tilling between the rows...

Madelyn, planting...

We work so hard...I realize I am not in the photos...but I really am there....working and planting too! We plant *plants* and also seeds...

I love looking at all the plants. They got a little sprinkling of rain, the other day...but our weather isn't calling for rain for a bit...so we are going to have to haul some water to these little darlings so they have a good chance to grow.

Madelyn and Mama...



I like gardening....I love getting into the dirt and then seeing the beautiful life that springs forth. I love knowing exactly where our food came from and that we all worked together to grow it. It's a lot of hard, tiring work...but each winter when I taste the wonderful goodness of *fresh* veggies, canned from the previous summer, I think of how all that hard work was *worth it*!

Thank-you for all your well-wishes and prayers for my teeth. I just don't know what to do. The pain is really unbearable but I am positively dreading having these two wisdom teeth removed. Getting the other two out was just horrible and I just am not sure what to do. I can't take the pain....but my fear of getting them yanked is almost paralyzing me from calling the dentist. I know Chris and the children *must* be quite tired of me complaining about it. What to do, what to do? Continued prayer is very much appreciated...thank-you!

It's been a peaceful Lord's day...We attended church (a beautiful time of worship, learning and fellowship), had a simple lunch of leftover ham sandwiches on homemade bread, rested away the afternoon and then attended a picnic at Ma and Pa's Pavillion. Now, as the clock ticks and the hands point to 9...I am ready to head to bed with a good book. I hope you have enjoyed your weekend. Here's to a beautiful week ahead! :o)

Joyfully,
Katy


"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

13 comments:

  1. Just loved reading about your gardeny days! My little garden lies empty this year ... all my time is going into Colton's therapy but his improved health will be my harvest this year!

    Let me encourage you about those teeth. Our Luke just had 5 teeth removed on Friday ... all impacted in bone. He had no noticeable swelling and very little discomfort. He was dreading it too and now says, well I wouldn't have worried at all if I had known how simple it would be! So don't worry ... just get them taken care of and let your precious ones pamper you for a couple of days. It will all be just fine.

    I'll be praying for you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa from IllinoisJune 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM

    Love your pictures of your garden. We have been working in our garden also, it is alot of work, but worth it in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post and it's nice to see you all pitching in for the bounty you'll enjoy this Fall. Great memories that will last a lifetime.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just commented earlier today on your previous post and there is another post as I wait for my sourdough to toast (it is lunchtime at the moment!) Today I have been helping my son with his Bible journal - a new project for our family. I was so inspired by your notebooks I decided this would be a great way to do Bible Study. I said to him after reading the creation account - we were meant to garden, even before man fell God intended him to be a gardener. I hope he remembers this when he has a family of his own one day. So it was lovely to see a post about your garden. I am learning too - to plant more than I think we will need. Our pickled cucumbers from last summer have lasted into winter and that was all thanks to my children being over zealous with sowing seeds - I'm so glad they did! You are so blessed to have so much flat land for growing veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 'garden' reminds me of my parents garden years ago. It is shrinking now but my Mom at age 82 still loves gardening and raising chickens. We've been working on our garden and hope to get the planting done tomorrow. We do some raised beds and some in ground. LOVE it.
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh Katy, I know what you mean about the dental work! I just absolutely can't stand the thought of going to the dentist. I have a fear of it too since having a root canal done a few years ago - - It was intense!! Perhaps if you must go with a local anesthetic, the doctor can give you a sedative to help. Nonetheless, I'll say a prayer for you. (:
    Your hair looked cute in your previous post (pulled up and pinned). I always enjoy your pictures!
    By the way, we also have an Australian Shepherd (like Abbie). Is that what she is (no tail)? Our girl is a blue merle and has blue eyes. She's so smart! We really like that breed (herding dog).
    Hope you feel better soon!

    Smiles & well wishes sent your way!
    Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy seeing your garden. It reminds me of the gardens that my grandparents use to have. Such great memories of visting their place each summer! Lots and lots of hard work, but you are right the rewards are worth it.

    Great hat that M is wearing. I have been thinking that I need a hat to wear while gardening. The sun really wears me down.

    Happy Monday, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, go for it and get those pesky teeth out. Then it'll be behind you and you'll never need to worry about them again. Just get it over with and you'll be free of all the pain and stress. Praying for you sweet friend, love Tina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a large garden! Don't you just love the smell of newly turned earth? Lots of help too! Hope you have the prettiest, importantly, most productive garden this year! Have a good work week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really enjoyed reading about your garden! It certainly is a big one! Lots of work and canning to come but you are so right....lots of food for this winter!

    I love to see all of your pictures....but I especially like the one of you and Madelyn....so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prayers to you for wisdom and peace regarding your teeth!

    I love to see pics of your garden! It's big! I'm with you on the rewards of planting a big garden! By the time summer ends, I feel absolutely exhausted from all the hard work of maintaining it and then preserving its harvest, but it's so rewarding to have garden produce through the harsh winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a HUGE garden! I bet you'll have plenty of colourful veggies to can soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katy, I just love seeing your family working in the garden. It makes me remember when I was a little girl and my grandfather would use the tiller and I would try to step in his foot prints right behind him. I remember his steps so much larger than mine, but I tried to keep up. Such memories! Sorry thats TMI I am sure, but it does warm the heart! Have a great day and we will continue to keep you on our prayer list! Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy