Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Simple Gathering


I *sort-of* hijacked the Sunday family picnic that Pa and Ma have weekly. I used the gathering as the perfect time to celebrate Madelyn's tenth birthday with Chris's side of the family. Since this past Wednesday was Madelyn's actual birthday (but we had VBS plans that night) and Thursday, we celebrated with my sister and Eloise...we *needed* a time to celebrate the beautiful ten years God has gifted us with her, with Chris and his side! All-in-all, Madelyn enjoyed three different days of birthday-fun (now that is *celebrating*)!

Along with some home-cut fries that I baked to take, I also made a cake! Although I had *good* intentions to get the lettering "just right" on this one, it didn't go as well as planned. I used my favorite buttercream frosting recipe and then put it in a baggie and snipped off the end. This is what I used to write and decorate with. If you can't quite read it...it says: "Madelyn is ten!"...Chris, in his teasing way told me he "thought" it said "Madelyn is tin!".


Some photos to share, memories to savor...

Xavier...


Madelyn...



Friends and family visited...


The *big* ones helped the *little* ones cross their bridges...


Jaxson, King of the Log...



My Christopher...he really does love that Jeep!


Although I *could* have gotten away with it, I feel I simply must tell you the truth about the picture below...there are ten candles on the cake...but alas, the breeze kept blowing them out before we could even get more than two lit. So...we lit one and let Madelyn blow *that* one out! (It does appear, though, that she just finished blowing them **all** out, doesn't it?) ;)


Uncle Dan, the great sno-cone maker...

Madelyn and Chris...


Taking the back way home...


Past the fields of gold and green...


...and into the deep, dark woods...


Home!




We always enjoy our picnics and fellowship with friends and family. The little ones were fast asleep, almost as soon as their heads graced their pillows!

It's pretty hot, here, in Pennsylvania. I hope you are staying cool in your neck of the woods. We are staying cool by swimming and drinking ice water. We keep Chris and my bedroom air-conditioned...as a bit of relief after a sweltering day. Often, the children will sleep in there....it's a large room, so during the day they will play legos, we'll read together and nap in there too. We are thankful for the retreat. :)

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week! Thank-you, so much, for dropping by and sharing in my memory-making with me!!
Kindly,
Katy


Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1 Peter 1:2b

13 comments:

  1. So enjoyed the road home through
    the woods and over the hills..
    Thanks for sharing ...
    Summer Blessings
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (late) Birthday, Madelyn! Looks like she had fun.

    The road to your house is pretty!

    Blessings,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your blog!! I found it this winter and loved it and then it got deleted from my bookmarks. I was just recently able to find you again....so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love taking the back way home. We do it so often that Megan will sometimes ask us to take the short cut home. :)

    It is hot here also. We have been swimming and staying in the air conditioning. We are venturing out early in the morning and late in the evening. Try to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet and well loved! Happy 10 Madelyn! 3 Parties, my goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog a few months ago and really enjoy it. My husband and I and our three little girls recently moved to the country and it's been an adjustment. Looking forward to reading more!
    In His Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you have some a/c to keep cool in! It kind of makes it special to be altogether in one room! Fun memories...we used to do this at our old house, but in the livingroom.

    I could read your cake clearly! That Chris must need glasses :P

    Blessings!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday wishes Madelyn, all the way from Australia where we are in the middle of winter with our fire going all day and night and lots of rain and grey sky just now. Hope your birthday week was really special. Love that cake!!!!!!!

    Blessings Gail

    p.s. We are painting our home at the moment and it's the same colour as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your cake is lovely! looks like a great time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy your pictures and words! I would love to have been on the ride back home.
    Love ya!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. wish we could've been there! looks like mad got earrings... (?) i'll have to ask her about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy ... thought of you when I read this post today ... it's also a very good site ...
    http://desiringvirtue.com/2011/07/dvs-home-management-printables/
    here's another one that's great for homeschooling Mom's:
    http://dawnathome.typepad.com/by_sun_and_candlelight/2011/07/file-folder-101-1.html

    Keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Madelyn!

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy