Sunday, August 17, 2008

Guess What Chris Found Me??

A real school chalkboard!!! I couldn't be more thrilled! I had to do some rearranging and setting up after putting it in......but it was worth it!!! The school room feels sooo complete now! My FIL had gone to a school auction years ago! He had this chalkboard for all that time and had it stored in his barn. Isn't it just fantastic?? I was soo soo excited!
Below are a couple more pics when you look around the school room...it's super small....but will work well for what we need it for!!! :o)


And....for any of you out there reading this that went through what I did...(the should I homeschool?, how do i know if it is right for us?, etc)...I want to encourage you to pray about it. Do I think everyone should homeschool? Absolutely not. Do I think public schools are all horrible? Absolutely not. However, I am a stay at home mother. If I feel God has given me the intelligence and desire to school my children...then I will follow that! I figure if I have the ability...why not try? If this year goes well for the kids..then we know we should continue. If they don't thrive from this experience..then they can go back to the public school! :)

I do not think homeschoolers are better than anyone else. I think it is just a personal/family decision. Some people are hard core homeschooling advocates. And they have the right to feel as they do....I, however, am not one of those people. I have the heart of a teacher and am looking forward to this home education journey with my kids. But I do believe that some kids will thrive more in public school. I believe my children could do really well in the public school. The school they would attend is a small school...between larger districts. I believe you can be big advocates for your children at home and counter act any bad situation or learning they might encounter. I just feel that if I have the time, intelligence, ability and energy to teach my kids....all the better! :) They grow too fast anyway... now we will enjoy them learning and growing together! Anyway...this turned into a novel...LOL...if you made it this far, I thank you for taking the time. I just wanted everyone to know how I feel about homeschooling!!!

Happy Monday Everyone!!! (I am posting this Sunday evening though...LOL)

17 comments:

  1. THe school room looks complete now!!:0) Way to go hubby!! Your school room looks so good and whats nice is when your done school for the day you can leave it, its not all you see everywhere in the house!!! Have a great day yourself my friend!!~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now it really looks like a school room...too precious! I think your post was right on. I have two every close friends that home school. They urge me all the time to do it. I don't have the heart for homeschooling. We have a fantastic Christian private school in the area that our girls will attend through high school and we feel that's the best choice for our family. I love ya girl for posting that. You are so right when you said it's a "family choice" God gives us gifts in different areas and mine is not in teaching school. I think what you're doing is great and it's obvious you're breaking into your spiritual gifts.

    God bless,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun! That's awesome. When I was 5, I asked for a chalk board from Santa Claus. He pulled through and brought me one...he even wrote me a message on it and I didn't ever want to erase it. I loooooved that chalk board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! Everything looks great! Now pop over to my blog, because I have a little something for you!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful find! Good job Chris! Your room looks great. I bet the kids are getting excited seeing how hard to are working to get their room together. ~Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy, that chalkboard is awesome :) i'm excited for you as you start the homeschooling adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think its awesome that you have choosen to home school your children. It takes a truly dedicated & driven person to take on that task and it looks like you are really up to the challenge! You school looks awesome and I bet your kids are getting very excited!

    And Its very nice to hear how open your perspectives on homeschooling are. I don't know if I'd be up for the challenge myself or not- but I still have a little time left yet to figure it all out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chalkboard is great, you will love using it! However, its sad that those have gone to the wayside..... we use dry erase boards in my school district.TOo many people allergic to the chalk dust - now people complain about the marker fumes! LOL We just cant please everyone!!!

    Anywho- I think its great(your choices) and I know you will be great at homeschooling, your heart and soul is in it, therefore you & your kids will benefit from it.I think others would love to do what your doing but cant because of whatever reasons.
    Best of success!!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chalkboard is perfect! A must have in a classroom :) You really look ready now!

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The school room is darling, what an awesome find.

    Mandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was so happy to see your blog as well.

    I love your school room! The chalk board makes it look great! I also love your binder and schedule. You look so organized and I think that is a must for homeschoolers. You have such a great attitude and position on the subject. I'm sure your children will learn that same kind spirit from you. Good luck in the coming school year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great chalkboard!! What an awesome addition.

    I'm not a homeschooler - I don't think I have the ability LOL But I do sometimes wish I had the convidence to feel like I could give my kids what they need at home. Everyone needs to go with their choice and find what's right for them and their family. Very well said :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool school room!!
    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome chalkboard!! I love what you have done to your "little schoolhouse" so far. I feel the same as you do as far as homeschooling goes. I don't think its for everyone.
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is just something about a real chalkboard to make the room come to life. What a great find!!

    If you haven't seen it yet, I have an award for everyone on my blog roll so make sure you grab it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool, I love the chalkboard. Just to let you know that they also have paint to make chalk boards and I think they even came out with stuff for white boards just incase you need more space!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That chalkboard is so nice!! What a blessing:) Your school room is lookingb really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy