Saturday, June 4, 2011

Joy Enough

"The mere sense of living is joy enough."
~Emily Dickenson

Our days, here at home, are continuing in their normal rhythm...ups and downs, times of laughter and tears, work and rest....but just the fact that we are still living and loved by the Almighty is joy enough for me! We don't need over-excitement in life to feel fulfilled. Many find the country lifestyle a bore, as it doesn't offer *enough* to keep them entertained. I find that this life suits me just fine! It is simple, hard work, humble and not overly *entertaining* but it is sweet...completely enjoyable for a simple woman, like me.

Three Rules of Work:
1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

~Albert Einstein

The days have been just lovely lately...blue skies, sunshine and comfortable temperatures. We have kept busy with baking, knitting, playing, housework, hanging clothes out, gardening (in our large veggie garden...I have photos to update for you soon!), reading, swimming and caring for our newest peeps (who are growing so, so quickly...I have photos of them to share sometime, soon)!

I ordered some castile soap from Dr. Bronner's. It should arrive soon. We will use it as body soap, a cleaner in the house and also, using THIS recipe, I am going to use it to make our own shampoo. And, although I have seen people make these online before, I had never made one, until now...

I used the pump from the top of one of my Mrs. Meyer's hand soap bottles we had used up. It fit perfectly in a pint jar...I drilled a hole in the top of the jar and set it in! Isn't it great!? I must tell you I just love the new basil scent and bought a *refill* soap bag, (who needs to purchase numerous pump containers..it seems like a waste of money when you can just use refills)!? I will make more of these jar soap holders and use them for our hand soaps and also to keep the homemade shampoo, I make, in. :)

I have still been battling pain in my mouth....on the *opposite* side of where my wisdom teeth were pulled from. I have been on antibiotics and am now on a steroid prescription. I can't open my mouth very wide without pain. I am hoping, through prayer and time, that it will get better, gradually. Mouth pain is just horrible and I have had it for so long now...it's quite wearisome. I'm trying to stay positive though, so please excuse my bit of complaining...I had just hoped this would all be over when I got those two wisdom teeth removed...and now, I fear, I may need to get the other two out. :(

Earlier this week, we had some hotter temps...I am not a fan of the heat...but it was bearable. The children were thrilled as this gave them the opportunity to take a dip in the pool! Our loving neighbors kindly open up their pool to us and other friends and family of theirs, as often as we want during the summer. It is incredibly kind of them. They are wonderful people and we are so thankful to live next to them!

My hair is quite long and curly. Often, when doing things around the house (especially when it is hot) I will just throw it in a pony-tail or bun to keep it away from my face and off my neck. Truly, it is not very attractive. Poor Chris must come home and think "ack!"...but he is so kind and never says a negative word! I *have* found, though, that with my curly hair, I *can* do a simple, yet pretty, up-do with minimal effort!

I put my hair in a pony-tail and then just pinned up all the ends around it with bobby-pins. I put them all over....but only used 8 or so pins. I left some of the ends hanging out a bit and I thought it turned out pretty cute! :) I would love to learn some more ways of putting my long hair up in an attractive way! I would like to figure out how to braid my hair and then wrap it around my head, towards the back...but I haven't quite figured it out yet! ;)

Well, it's a Friday night (although this won't post until Saturday morning). Chris is on a tow-call...so the children and I may read together or watch a movie before bedtime. First, I need to run out and get the clean, dry clothes off the line (I almost forgot!).

Oh...quickly, I just had to tell you that over the past few days, we have watched two movies that I strongly recommend. They are The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel. They are also books but the movies are just fantastic and encouraging. If you can watch them...you will be blessed!

Oh my, Madelyn just came in from outside...she got all the clothes off the line for me. What a sweetie she is...so thankful for her. I still need to get going though. I'm so glad you visited me today! I hope you enjoy your weekend....and please, if time permits, please visit my previous post HERE...a friend is in need of prayer. Thanks, so much.

Joyfully,
Katy

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

14 comments:

  1. i like your hair that way! much better than a bun! i don't have enough hair... or enough curls to do that!

    didn't chris go to the races last night???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks great! It sounds very easy to do too. I love the soap dispenser. I'm going to try to make one for my kitchen sink. Mason jars make me smile! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is just beautiful Katy! I have used the Dr. Bronners for cleaning as well, lots you can do with it! Just read your last post and sending many prayers for your friends, I lost my grandpa to lung cancer when I was only 6 yrs. old. Your pump jar turned out great:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you home...sooo cozy! Your hair is pretty that way too. Braiding is fun, just take three strands and take them over the other. Practice with yarn, you'll be braiding in no time! I'm one of your followers, won't you come over and become ours too? We'd love to have you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair is gorgeous!

    So is your heart...you have chosen the important things...you have joy because you have a thankful heart!

    I am glad I found your blog this past year!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your hair is pretty, Katy. My hair frizzes in the humidity and that is NOT pretty. Yours is pretty curls! Enjoy your day,
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with that mason jar to turn it in to a soap dispenser - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you following! Nice to "meet you", your blog is lovely.
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mason Jar is great idea, have
    several I can use and make some soap dispenser..
    Keeping you in thoughts and prayer
    healing take time..

    Warm Blessings
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the simple life is the most peaceful, fulfilling to me. In simplifying our life, I find such joy and completion. And with our 4 children, the animals running away, and me learning all of this from 'scratch' it's never short of entertaining around here! I'm inspired by your organization and simplicity....I feel like I'm still trying to catch my breath most of the time and although I'm finding my place in God's plan on our land and in our family....my house has not quite caught up yet! So I love to visit your posts and find inspiration and encouragement! And your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing that! I posted a link to your blog for recommended reading in one of my recent posts! I'm recovering from major surgery and am so greatful to have some wonderful blogs....including yours....go help keep my mind fresh and clear in the midst of this time in our lives! Thanks for sharing! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I almost forgot....I LOVE the homemade deodarant and have been using it for a couple of months now. I would love to make more of our family's personal care products....I'm thinking towards lotions and soaps! We're also using homemade dishwasher detergent and will soon be switching to the laundry soap as well. I find such a satisfaction in making these things, being frugal, and knowing exactly what is going into the products we're using!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am enjoying reading the ways of living more alongside our earth as once, mankind did. You have such a sweet disposition from reading your words, Katy. I have been simplifying my life as I age and am enjoying it. But I do not live off the land. We cannot grow much of anything in this far south part of Texas. If it is not too hot temperatures, the bugs and the "bugs of the year" (some new odd, never-see-before bug) get whatever one grows!
    And thanks for visiting me!
    I will be praying for God's healing of your mouth. I am sorry.
    loving you, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you know what encouraged me in your post today Katy is that you keep on sharing about the daily joys (and challenges) of a simple country life and it is always inspiring. I often think - well I have already shared about my gardens, the delight I take in harvesting our own bananas, my sourdough baking and so forth - people will not to want to keep on reading about that and will want something new and exciting to read about with those ultra clear, super high definition close up pictures that my little camera will not produce. But maybe I am wrong - perhaps it is just the simple pleasures of home that started off as experiments such as making bread which became part of the daily rhythm of my life which is what people enjoy reading about. You have given me much food for thought. Thank you! And still praying for complete healing for your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy, Love the updo!! My hair is naturally curly as well and I have always had problems finding cute hairstyles so wear mine either straight down or up in a pony/bun. Think I will have to try this style! And I LOVE the jar dispenser! Think I will have to try that as well! Do you have to use anything to keep the pump in the cover? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy