Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Fawn

I debated sharing this...as I don't want to get in trouble. A few weeks back, friends of ours found a fawn laying on the road. This was a *brand-new* fawn...very tiny and fragile. It was raining and chilly out. They thought that it had been hit, but to their amazement, it seemed fine and was just laying in the middle of the road...shaking. So that it wouldn't be hurt, they placed it on the side of the road and went home.

Hours later, they drove past and noticed the fawn was *still* there....getting rained on and shaking. After doing some calling around, to see if anyone could help it, they finally got a hold of me and thought maybe *I* would want to nurse it back to health. Evening had set in and the baby was still along the side of the road....hunters had been in that area and although it was only turkey season, apparently they weren't carrying *turkey* guns. :(

I learned that it is technically a *no-no* for people to care for a fawn. However, if we were to call the game warden, folks advised us that he would probably just set the little fawn out by itself...with no chance of survival. This broke my heart. So I told them I would care for this little one...it was incredibly sweet! I wrapped it up and snuggled it, gently. We gave it (as we couldn't tell for sure if it was a boy or girl...it being so young) formula...and it drank some, but not a lot. I called a friend who raises goats and she was setting out goat formula starter (to be followed by goat milk, which is the best substitute for young ones) for me to pick up the next day.

My intentions were good...I was not trying to imprison or *keep* this baby...but without nurturing, it just wasn't going to make it...this was the smallest fawn I have ever seen.

So, I wrapped it, loosely, in blankets...to keep it warm but not to inhibit movement. In hindsight, I wish I would have slept near it, giving it warmth through the night...after preparing a bottle in the morning and going out, the fawn was dead. I was quite devastated. I had hoped it would grow up around us and maybe even hang around in the woods....of its own choice.

I wish I had done more for it, but I tried my best. Honestly, I truly believe it was just *too* young to be away from its mother. I was so sad about it for a while....but knew it was a rare treat, to hold a piece of God's Creation so close.

I realize what I did was considered "wrong" in the eyes of the law...and I really battled with that realization. But morally, I felt strongly that I needed to do my best to give this little one a good start in its life. I am so thankful I had the opportunity to give care to this little one for a bit and tried to make its last moments more comfortable....the idea of it alone on the side of the road in the rain and cold just seems wrong and inhumane! I feel I did the right thing....and honestly, if it ever happens again, I would probably not change a thing about it (except I would snuggle it through the night...even if I had to lay on the floor!).

I hope you enjoy the pictures. It was even more darling in real life! Wish I could share more, but this is all I have!

I hope you are enjoying your week...the weather is just gorgeous here in Pennsylvania and we are all completely enjoying it! Swimming, playing, gardening, hanging clothes out...it's been wonderful! Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope the rest of the week goes well for you!
Kindly,
Katy :)

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

25 comments:

  1. Katy,the laws are the same here in Canada, but believe me, I would have done what you did.
    What a little sweetie......I'm sure it made it's last hours on earth better knowing it was being looked after.

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katy you did the right thing and I'm not going to tell on you. At least it died warm and not been eaten alive by other animals cause that is what would have happened.~Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear, but the little one may have already "had enough". Unless IV's and medical attention was given~~~it probably didn't have a chance. GOD BLESS you for trying. I so, would have done the same. But our country Vet would have been very involved and a huge bill. Yep, done this before. Bless you~. Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have no clue why I'm "anonymous". Never happened to me before!!!! virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Katy what a sweet story!You did the right thing and what a wonderful example for your children you were!
    I actually know someone else that nursed a fawn ack to health and posted last week about it.It`s very unusually to gat an oppertunity like that though!I would of never even known that it was possible for a human to raise a wild animal.You definatly have a tender heart Katy.May the Lord bless you for your kindness!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy, In my book you did the right thing. The Lord placed that fawn with you for a reason because maybe a hunter got the Mother or was hit by a car, but whatever happened that fawn came to a warm,caring,and loving home. I did cry when I read the fawn didn't make it but he/she is in heaven and you gave that little fawn a sense of a Mother and love.
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering if there was something already wrong with it and the mother maybe abandoned it, or it just couldn't keep up with the rest? At least it passed away in the safety of your care and wasn't hit by a car or worse:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. How precious! I would have done the exact same thing you did, even though our law is the same here in KY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really believe we each have to do what we feel in our hearts, despite what the law says at times! It certainly is precious, it was meant to stay just long enough for your paths to cross. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat to see such a precious life up close. Certainly the humane thing to do regardless of the law. My hope is that "fawn" felt love and security before passing. My friend, you have such a sweet heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have done the same thing. I think you did the right thing. Sometimes we just have too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy,

    You have such a kind heart. The world needs more people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that you did the right thing. Even if the poor little thing was already too sick to survive, God in His mercy gave it a last meal, love and warmth and comfort in order to pass from this life. The bible tells us that not a sparrow falls from the sky without Him knowing about it and to me, this just demonstrates His loving concern for all living creatures. What a blessing that you were able to care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Katy,

    I most certainly would have done the same thing.

    The fawn probably went fast to sleep after having her belly full of formula and passed peacefully.

    What a blessing you were to that little creature.

    Amy <><

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katy,
    We had one to come up in our yard around this time last year. Our dogs were just about to kill it and so we did what you did. I had so much trouble getting mine to drink anything. We didn't know what in the world we were going to do with this baby when a friend of ours called and told us about a man who raises deer and sells them to people who have fenced in places (basically for hunters to come in and pay to hunt). I felt badly that eventually the little guy or gal will probably be meat on someone's plate, but was relieved to find him a home for a few years at least. I often wonder how the little one (now big) is doing. You have a big heart and you did exactly what probably most of your readers would have done. God Bless!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have done the same thing, Katy. It died knowing someone loved it. As you, we are blessed to see many deer and other animals. Although deer provide much appreciated food in our region, they are just so adorable! Thanks for sharing this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katy- You did the right thing. My dd worked for a vets ofc for years and she thinks something was already wrong with him. Mama's instincts are to protect herself. Poor little guy. At least he was comfortable and warm and not suffering out in the elements. Thank you for caring for him. Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just helped do the same thing. We don't know what happened to the mama but a little fawn was in my girlfriends back yard for two days crying. Who could not help! The game commission said to let it go but my girlfriend has little kids who were listening to the poor thing bawl. So she gave me a call and I sent over freshly milked goat milk(still warm) and a soda bottle nipple. the fawn drank about4oz and perked up a bit. The neighbors were calling different wildlife rescue organizations and one of them came out and took the fawn to the rehab center. I hope the poor thing does well. Sorry your story didn't have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katy - Living in Western PA myself, I know what you mean about the laws here! When I was in college, I came home to find a fresh-born baby fawn laying on my parents' front porch. My dad is a taxidermist so I think that someone probably found the fawn and dropped it off at my parents' home (who were away for the weekend) thinking that my dad would know how to care for it. My husband (who was my fiance at that time) and I called the game warden and they pretty much said to just let it go. So we were going to try to care for it, but it ran off (very shakily) when we were trying to get it from the porch into a blanket-lined box. I'm sure it probably died in the woods since it could barely run. We just couldn't catch it. I was pretty upset, but I guess that's just nature. Animals die all the time without us knowing. It's just when we feel like we can help and then it fails, that we feel so upset.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katy,

    Each morning when I arrive I work, I first check my company and home email and then check out your blog. The fawn entry is sort of fitting for me today. On my way to work I saw a fully grown deer laying along the side of the road, alive. It was just laying there watching traffic drive by. I called the game commission and they are going to check on it. I think someone must have "bumped" it with there car because it was pretty alert and didn't seem in obvious pain. Anyways, thanks for sharing your story and your life's journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Katy, You have such a sweet heart. I understand why you took care of the fawn and don't blame you a bit for doing it. I think most of us mommys would :O) Glad you all are having good weather it has been such a stormy start t osummer it is nice to have some sunshine! Would love to see pictures of how your families garden is growing! Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you did the right thing in trying to save the little guy. :)
    How sweet to be able to touch and care for a little deer! Best to you, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bless you, Katy. I would have done as you did and been devastated with the outcome, too, yet would have felt that God gave me a beautiful moment with His little one.
    caring through our Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Katy, I would have done the exact same thing if I were in your shoes. Some people feel differently, but I believe that we are to help all God's creatures, human or otherwise. God Bless you for your sweet, caring, loving heart....Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm doing the same thing now. My husband found a fawn snuggled up to its dead momma. We have found a habitat for it to go to when it gets a little older! We could not let this creature of God suffer all alone! You did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy