Friday, June 17, 2011

Quench not the Spirit...

...Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
~1 Thessalonians 5:19-23

I read and pray. I study and think, think, think. I always have so many questions and things I am still learning, daily, while studying the Word of God and walking with Him. I am starting to figure out I need to stop over-thinking and focus more on prayer! For my thoughts end up, at times, getting me confused and over-whelmed. This is not from God. He is not a God of confusion. So instead of always relying on my *own* thoughts....I am going to spend more time in prayer and let God answer me in His way and His time (Oh, how patience isn't my strong-point)!

I find these verses to be so encouraging. They all come from Psalm 145:

The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,
Slow to anger and great in mercy.
The Lord is good to all,
And His tender mercies are over all His works.
~Psalm 145: 8-9

The Lord upholds all who fall,
And raises up all who are bowed down.
The eyes of all look expectantly to You,
And You give them their food in due season.
You open Your hand
And satisfy the desire of every living thing.
The Lord is righteous in all His ways,
Gracious in all His works.
The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,
To all who call upon Him in truth.
He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;
He also will hear their cry and save them.
The Lord preserves all who love Him.
~ Psalm 145:14-20a

We went down to water the garden the other day (although thankfully, it has rained the past couple days so the plants are enjoying a nice drink!) and I snapped a few pictures of the growing plants! You can also see where we put newspaper and shredded paper around the plants to help keep the weeds down!

Here you can see how our corn is growing (freshly watered)...

Tomatoes, onions, peppers and potatoes are all growing well!


Some of our rows are a little crooked from when the children drove!

At home, we have a couple new "old" things to share!
We have a claw foot tub in our bathroom. I have been on the look-out for a soap holder that hangs on the side. I hadn't been able to find one until recently...so I snagged it!

And in the kitchen...our island was falling apart. Chris had already had to screw a board under it to keep it sturdy, before, and now the drawers were falling apart. It wasn't a solid piece, so after years of a lot of use, I guess it is to be expected. Since the kitchen is such a central place in our home, I was anxious to find something (solid but as inexpensive as I could find) to replace it. After looking a couple of places, I was happy to be able to find this...

It's solid and is a good storage place! For such a sturdy and nice piece, the price was wonderful, as well! The drawers are great for holding silverware and such...

And underneath, doors open to reveal a great place to store bowls and other baking necessities!

It's a bit smaller than our last island...but that is good because it makes the kitchen seem much bigger! It gives us more room to walk around it, too!


**And** I was excited to find that slid in slots above the drawers are these wood boards! They come all the way out. I am not sure if they are cutting boards or pastry boards...? Or maybe they were meant for something else entirely! I really have no idea! But it's something I thought was really neat!

I am still having a lot of mouth pain...continually hoping and praying they will be able to get me in to have these teeth out before July 19th. But for now, I am just trying to grin and bear it. Thanks, so much, for the continued prayers. I *do* so appreciate it!

I appreciate you taking the time to visit today. I'm sure you, like us, are keeping busy this summer. I am so glad you had a bit of time to stop by! Do say *hello* if you can! :)

Warmly,
Katy

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

14 comments:

  1. Good Morning Katy!

    Love the island...we have a rolling cart/island and we also are in search of something sturdier! Enjoyed all the pictures from your garden. Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some good verses to read this morning! I love the lit star candle- so cute! The garden looks like it's coming along nicely. :) I like your new island, looks like it has lots of room for storage and that is a big bonus in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love your new island. My friends all think I'm "crazy" because I LOVE things that are re-used. I don't think there isn't much furniture in my house that hasn't either been passed down or bought at a thrift store. But when people stop by my house, they always say...how "welcoming my house feels". Thats because we fill it with Love and Memories from the past. I LOVE nothing more than sitting down at my Grandparents dining room table for supper with my Family, the way I did as a little girl having supper with my Grandparents when we would visit them. Awww the Memories and Heart Prints of Life...I hope you have a wonderful day!! I'm off to bake some bread and make homemade noodles for supper!...:)))

    God Bless You and Your Beautiful Family...:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Katy,
    I love your blog,
    thanks for sharing your life!!

    Blessings from Northern Germany

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the scripture verses today. Love the island! I hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Grandmother had something similard, and she used the boards as pastry boards. Or, as she liked to call them...her biscuit board. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Katy,
    Hello. I have not commented in soooo long but I am still hear enjoying what you share. Just was thinking on your dental pain. Wondered if any of it could be from TMJ. I just recently found out my headaches and necks pain and jaw pain was related to that.... even had bottom teeth hurt and ears hurt at times. Also when I got it adjusted by a chropractor... All my shoulder and neck pains went away and no more headaches. Just thought I would mention it. I wore braces for four years in my twenties and they adjusted my bite which can be a cause of TMJ. Even car crashes.... because it is injury to the area that creates the prob. May you have a blessed weeek end. smiles, Angelia in TX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely post, full of good, simple, homey things. I love to visit you Katy! Praying for you, and hoping your tooth pain will soon be a distant memory. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neither on the pull out boards... I call it extra counter space ;) Yay! AND they are lower and easier for your children to work on.

    Great spiritual thoughts too. Sometimes we just need to go with it and that is when the Holy Spirit is working. I over think way too often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Katy!
    I loved your thoughts on over thinking. So true...and I do the same sometimes...its possible to preach oneself OUT of faith!!!! Crazy eh?
    Love your new island. I'm sure you'll create lots of new memories working around it with your children!
    Looks like your garden is starting to grow. Are you haveing some sunshine there? Here it's still grey and cool most days. I havent planted a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry you are still in pain. Hope you get this done soon!I enjoyed your post today, you are always so cheerful. Thank you for spreading goodwill to all! Finally, I love all the photos, but the kitchen island was interesting. Storage, work surface, cutting ahd bread-making, what a good buy! Hope you have a safe, peaceful weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy~you always have beautiful words to say.my son loves to drive the mower,so precious of them.
    I like the new island,we were in need of one last year and luckily i found a similiar one to yours for $5 much bigger and older but with a fresh coat of white paint and new knobs it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the island! My kitchen is too small for an island :( I realized that I LOVE coming to your blog when I am stressed. The music is so soothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for coming by my place!
    I love your blog. Those sliding boards look like the pastry boards my mom used to use. She made all kinds of homemade yeasts breads. I can still see the flour all over those boards as she would knead the dough out:)
    Blessings,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy