Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"An early morning walk...

...is a blessing for the whole day."
~Henry David Thoreau


Thoughts come clearly while one walks.
~Thomas Mann

Chris's brother and his family went away for a week of vacation. We are dog-sitting one of their dogs, Daisy. My Ruthie wasn't overly thrilled when Daisy arrived last Friday. She basically just ignores her! The children have enjoyed her though...she is much more playful than Ruth is!

The children and I decided to take the dogs (and ourselves) for a walk. Here is the children with Daisy...



My Ruthers...

The boys kept getting a bit ahead of us. I would call to them and they would stop and wait...


Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.
~Soren Kierkegaard

The boys insisted on driving their *trucks* while walking. These trucks have been through a lot of hard-playing time. They love these trucks...

Notice, the truck makes a nice seat to rest on, as well!

It wasn't a super long walk...Ruthie isn't used to walks (as for the longest time, I could not find the right harness to fit her! A regular collar won't stay on her because her head is smaller than her neck...it would just slip right off!) and she was quite out-of-breath. It was a good bit of exercise, though, and we'll do it again. :)

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see.
~John Burroughs

We worked, some, in the garden last evening...putting newspaper between the plants to keep the weeds down. It was quite a sight to witness though, as it was pretty windy and there we were, newspapers blowing away....the children taking off through the garden to catch them! :)
The sweet corn, beans, potatoes, onions and beets are growing really well, so far. It's such a joy to see the bit of green come up through the dirt! We are hoping for a good harvest this year. Peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, pumpkins, lima beans, tomatoes, radishes and more are planted as well. The lima beans don't seem to have grown, unfortunately...however, this is our first year of growing them, so we aren't sure what to expect.

Today's post is not full of much *excitement* I suppose...but I like to document the simple moments too. That way, when I make this year's blog book, we will be able to look back at these times as well. :)

Have a great day ahead. :)
Kindly,
Katy

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

11 comments:

  1. The ordinary things are what all of our lives are made of!

    Have a great day!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dull days allow us to catch our breath, prepare, and rest. Enjoy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that quote by Soren Kierkegaard. I've found that I walk can restore me emotionally in a way that nothing else can!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love taking walks, it cleans the clutter out of our minds. Ordinary days are the best in life and yours looked to be wonderful. God Bless.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of putting newspaper down in the garden for weeds. I may have to try this, after I weed today. The weeds are really trying to take over : (.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE my ordinary days at home with my Family!! Even if it's just cleaning and baking...I feel like I'm leaving "Heart Prints" behind that they'll carry with them when they leave and have Families of their own. That's what my Grandma calls them..."Heart Prints"..thats what you leave behind for people to remember you. I truely believe some of the "simple days" can be the ones you always remember the most.
    We worked in our garden last night also, it's alot of hard work, but it is worth it in the end! I'm glad we chose not to water it last night, because we are having some really bad thunder storms here this morning...time to light some candles!!

    I Hope You Have A Blessed Day!!..:))

    Lisa from Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, seeing all those PA pictures makes me looong for the country life. I have loved visiting PA since moving when I was 3. I think it's just in my blood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a nice walk and your visitor it cute, but Miss Ruthie looks like she is saying "when will the visitor go back home?" LOL! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I walk our dog down our country road every day! We even pick up trash some days. It is a delight to read your blog. I have read it for several years and think you and your family have such a nice life. You and your husband are raising your children right. They delight so in simple things. You are such a sweet person and anyone who reads your blog can't hellp but feel happy.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Katy, Just thought I'd drop by and say "Hello". :o)

    You know..some of the sweetest days are those ordinary quiet ones. I love them!

    Rebekah, my 20 yr.old is cooking a French dish..I'm doing the finances after two days of laundry. Sigh.. :o)

    The sun is shining..and Rebekah's radio is playing some really pretty music. Really quiet days are like special little gifts from the Lord, don't you think?

    I love your posts..so sweet and thoughtful.

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Days at home, days with family..are the best days of all!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy