Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Healthiest Carrot Cake


For Cory's birthday, my sister gave me the recipe to make one of the healthiest versions of carrot cake! (Although, don't be like me and shred your carrots too large....the smaller, the better!) So before heading to church this peaceful Sunday morning, I thought I would share the recipe with you!

Carrot Cake (Sugar Free)

2 c Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Salt
2 c Grated Carrots
1 c Skim Milk
1 1/2 c Apple Sauce (no sugar added)
1 c Maple Syrup
1/2 c Crushed Walnuts

Preheat over to 350*. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, grate carrots and add, along with the rest of the ingredients (except walnuts), to the flour mixture. Mix until "just mixed". Add walnuts. Put in a greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake 40-50 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). Cool for 30 minutes. Frost.



To frost this cake...here is a sugar free icing! (I know, it sounds like it would just be awful without sugar, but really, it's good!)

Cream Cheese Icing (sugar free)

3 Blocks Cream Cheese, softened (although Devon and I both feel this can be made with only 2 blocks!)
1 Packet Sugar Free Vanilla Instant Pudding
2 % Milk
Nutmeg

Whip cream cheese and pudding together. Add enough milk to make it fluffy. Add nutmeg to taste.


If you try this cake, I would love to hear your thoughts on it! It is the moistest carrot cake I have ever had...just delicious (and minus any guilt in eating it)! Enjoy!

Kindly,
Katy

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

8 comments:

  1. I do not like sickening sweet desserts so I've avoided carrot cake. Your recipe sounds wonderful, especially with the cream cheese frosting! It would probably be good too with whipped topping! I'm adding this to my "Delicious" links! :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious! I do make a carrot cake that my family loves, not alot of sugar, but not sugar free:-) I wonder if you could sub the applesauce in yours with baby food carrots to give a real carroty (?) flavor? Enjoy the birthday celebration!
    Blessings,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Carrot Cakes w/cream cheese frosting! I've made one a few times that uses honey instead of sugar which is very healthy, too. (Unless, perhaps for a diabetic it wouldn't). We try to stay away from the sugar free things (aspartame and other sugar free chemicals are very unhealthy), so I would try to concoct another frosting recipe (but definitely KEEP the cream cheese!!), but it looks mouth watering!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you shared this recipe! I love carrot cake but not the sugar. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm that sounds so yum right about now!!!!!!!

    I have a totally non related question? Do you swim and if yes where do you get your bathing suits?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing! My Mom's a diabetic, but this looks like something she may be able to enjoy!
    Hope you have a great week!!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    The cake looks really good; I may tried it for my mothers birthday this weekend. I was wondering, the maple syrup, can you use pancake syrup instead?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maple syrup is pancake syrup :)
    It's just doesn't have anything else added to it. I am sure you can use a store brand, if you want!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy