Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Good Decision!

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
~ Dr. Seuss

Marissa shared a lovely comment on THIS post and I wanted to share it with you. What she has to say is a beautiful testimony (I hope it is OK that I am sharing it)...and then I will share my own experience with this same issue! :)

"When my children were in public school, years ago- our meals were on the go and we were all scattered around. My hunny, eating in his recliner in front of the tv and me feeding kids, rushing around to get to ball practice, games, ect. I strived to make sure we were together on weekends around our dinner table, but God was dealing with me, leading me down a different path- a path to a more simple, more family structured and homeschool life. This may sound a little odd, but I prayed for the tv to break. I had tried talking to my hunny about how I felt we needed to be more of a family. He just didn't see it that way. He'd worked hard and felt he was entitled to sit in front of the tv during his home time. So praying for the tv to break was the only thing I could think of...I had tried time limits and such with the tv, infact, we all needed a purge from tv--so guess what? The tv broke. Hunny fixed it and it broke again...and again he fixed it and again it broke. . 42 inch plasma tv in all it's time consuming glory was now black. Broken. The thing cost $3k when we bought it, he knew we didn't have $ to replace it and it's hard to go from a theater experience down to a regular tv. So time went-WITHOUT a big tv in the living room. Fast forward a few years to present time. We still have no tv in the living room, we've been eating at the dining table for years, every meal. We talk, we eat, we laugh, we eat. We LOVE meal time and family time. And I'd like to add that by purging ourselves from the hypnotic glow of the tv, that we all spent too much time watching, our family has grown and blossomed into something that I am so proud of...something that is simple and pure. Family time & family love."

How easy is it to plop your children (or yourself) in front of the television and mindlessly watch something or flip through channels? Think of the amount of commercial exposure you and your family witness...often without realizing it. (I do realize that many have a DVR and can then skip the commercials....we never had that.) So many people have become almost accepting of the amount of skin and inappropriate behavior that bombards us from all directions! Young girls think it's "normal" to walk around in skin-tight, short skirts or to wear low cut shirts. So often, when I am out and about, my heart sinks to see how some young girls are dressed....but I am getting off my original point. Television (among other things) is, in my opinion, a time-waster with a lot of *bad* on it. Yes, there are some good, quality shows...but they are terribly few and far between.

**Let me quickly say here that I don't sit in judgment of you for having television....I just try to share what is on my heart and things God has shown *me* in my walk. It is my responsibility to share with other women my testimony and walk with Christ...so this is what I strive to do!**

I had asked Chris if we could "get rid" of television. We were paying approximately $50/month for a small package with Dish (with taxes etc.). Chris never wanted to get rid of it though, as it was how he "relaxed". I understood that....but in my heart wished he would relax by reading or playing games with the children and me. (Not that he was a total couch-potato! He is a hard worker!) My children only had three channels they were allowed to watch...and weren't allowed much time watching them either....but it was always still *there*.

I'll admit, I *nagged* Chris about it from time to time, for a while. I was hoping my "encouraging" would convince him. Let's just say....it didn't. So, I apologized to him and left it alone. I prayed about it and that was that. Fast forward a few months and while doing the budget together (as normally, I am the one who handles all the bills and the checkbook etc.), Chris realized how much we were spending on television and said to me: "We could be putting that in savings every month, couldn't we?". I told him that we definitely could. He agreed, then, that we should get rid of our subscription to Dish. I was over-joyed (and honestly, quite surprised. I never expected him to say this!)

Dan, Chris's brother, told us about Netflix. It was very inexpensive, had no commercials and offered a wide variety of things to watch. So we signed up for it and really like it. We all sit together and watch a movie sometimes or an educational documentary...and Chris, from time to time, can watch an episode of TV that he likes, as well. Now there is no more "mindless TV watching" or inappropriate commercials. Of course, there is a lot of "garbage" you could pick from the Netflix choices....but you can delete things you don't want. You have a lot of control over what you have in front of you.

I share this with you because so many people don't realize the things that their children are watching. Many assume that because it's deemed a "children show" that it is safe...this is not true. There are so many dangerous shows and commercials influencing our children daily. As parents, we need to safeguard our children's hearts and minds.

A book I have (that I found at the thrift store!) is called 365 TV-Free Activities (you can do with your child). It is full of fantastic ideas and suggestions of things you can do to challenge your children mentally and physically! Hopefully, you live in a place where your children can enjoy a great amount of time playing outside....but if not, take them to the park or to the playground. Go for a walk or play I Spy out on your front steps! Read books to them...or let them read to *you*!

"Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all." ~Dr. Seuss

Maybe you, like me, would love to get rid of your television programming. Maybe your husband does not agree. Let me encourage you *not* to nag...it's not your job as his helper to gripe at him. Ask him about it...then let it go. Pray about it and honor your husband. God is faithful...trust me...I've seen it happen in my life. :) You can control the things (and amount of time) you watch on the television...use it wisely. Guard what (and how much) your children watch. You and your family will benefit greatly from it....and hopefully, God will work on your husband's heart, as well.

I am reminded in that old movie "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" of television-obsessed Mike Teevee. Remember the lessons the Oompa-Loompas sang? ;) That kinda sums it up, doesn't it?

Thank-you for stopping by today. I'm always so glad you take the time to visit. I'm still dealing with a lot of mouth pain. My left wisdom teeth extraction is not scheduled until July 19th...I don't know how I am going to deal with this pain that long, but I guess I have no choice. I *am* on the cancellation list, though, so hopefully I will be able to get in sooner! I really appreciate your prayers!

Warmly,
Katy


"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

7 comments:

  1. Very good post Katy. I had huge issues with the T.V. monster, my husband had his own wishes. This was many years ago when our children were young. His wishes became reality and mine diminished to the back seat so to speak.

    Our children are now adults with children of their own. I am not an advocate of "kill your TV". I am an advocate of choose wisely, as with so many things in life.

    One can choose so many wonderful programs to watch, as a family. It may seem a small thing but as with so many issues if we do not express to our children why we don't want that element in their lives we have already lost the battle.

    I trust your pain will subside and the Lord will carry you to the end of your issues and make you comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - - good post Katy. Goatldi's comments are right on track with how it is in our home. Luckily our children like being outside more than anything and don't watch much television. My husband insists on having a big ol television in our dining area and having it on the majority of the time when he's home. It makes me sad - - he zones out (relaxes?). Biting my tongue can be difficult. (: Time to pray for the tv to stop working (that was funny - but hey, whatever works!) (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. We dropped Dish Network for Netflix last October. My husband is a major couch potato, but it was him that brought up getting rid of our tv service! I didn't watch it much and left it off during the day. Hubby works very hard all week so tv is his relaxing time. Instead of 300 channels with nothing on, he can turn on Netflix and watch anything he pleases. I also like that the kids aren't seeing toy commercials and nagging us to get them "this or that" for Christmas or their birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy,

    I agree with all that is said. We got rid of all TV service since 2003. I really don't miss any of the stations.

    My children do watch some TV but they are all DVD's that are monitored by mom and dad. We also have Netflix.

    My family enjoys listening to books on CD's all the time. We will gather together in the living room and listen to a book. Focus on the Family has some great audio books out with excellent radio drama.

    I am so glad that you and other women have shared how prayer has helped to change the atmosphere in the home.

    It is interesting how many women have used the word "relax" when there husbands watch TV. Research shows that the brain waves are the same while watching TV and sleeping. That is why we feel relaxed while watching TV. Think of the harm TV can be to a child's brain.Could it even be like an addiction?

    This is such a good post.. but all your post are excellent.

    Tina
    www.peacefulviewacres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy,
    We are so thankful that we have gotten rid of the TV here as well. The Lord was bearing down on my heart about what our children were watching. The shows were mostly okay, but the commercials had gotten really bad on "children's channels". I mentioned it to my hubby. He thought on it awhile and then agreed. Then there was a long silence on his part (he also used the tv to unwind). I tried not to mention it. Prayed and prayed then one day our 19yr old mentioned something she had seen on tv commercial while watching tv with our 5yr old. My husband was shocked and apologized to me and our children right there. He had kept something in our home that he disagreeed with on one level, but used for enjoyment on another. He admitted that the Lord had been working on his heart and used Lindsey our 19 yr old to show him what he already knew. Anyway long story short .... we did away with the TV and have not missed it since!!!!
    Praying your pain lessens and something comes open soon!!!
    Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy