Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Cure for a Hot Summer Day...

Our neighbors are some of the kindest people we know (although we *are* blessed to know many, many kind people). They open their pool to friends and family...all summer! We have already been over there many times on some of these hot days! The children just love it!

We lather up the SPF 50 and walk over...the children slipping into the nice, cool water immediately. I sit on the side, usually, with my feet dangling in. Usually I just sit and chat with the children while they swim around and get cooled off. Today, we took over Farmer Boy and I read a chapter to them while they relaxed in the water.

My son, the fish...



In the evenings, after work and supper are over, Chris likes to get a swim in too! I love to watch him dive (I definitely can*not* dive...never have been able to...frightens me terribly!). Chris is amazing at the fun things he can do!

Chris and Jaxson...

Here he is...mid-jump. I don't remember what he was actually doing though! ;)

Chris's brother, who lives right down the road from us, comes too! Here he is, canon-balling...

The one evening, Madelyn noticed (quite suddenly) there was a chipmunk swimming in the pool! With shrieks of excitement (from the children and me)...the guys worked at getting the critter out...

It was so cute sitting on the side of the pool, afterwards. It was a bit stunned and let me get really close. Chris and his brother, Dan, shooed me away from it though. Apparently, these things have quite a fierce nibble if they get their teeth into you! It was *incredibly* cute though! It scurried away after a bit...

Another funny, Chris-jump-shot. I have *no* idea what he was doing here...but isn't it funny?

Goodness....Although my Christopher is in his 30's and Dan is mid-20's...they still act so crazy at times (notice, Dan is caught mid-air in this photo!)...

And I saved my *very* favorite picture for last. It makes me laugh every time I look at it! I call it my "Kung-fu-Kick-Chris" Photo! He's so funny...I am so thankful for him...it is a wonderful gift to have a husband who can make you laugh! :)

I hope *you* are staying cool in this hot weather we are having. Thankfully, with our ceiling fans going in the downstairs, it isn't too uncomfortable in the house. When it does feel completely unbearable, we retreat to Chris and my bedroom where the a/c is. The children sleep in here, often, blankets and pillows made into beds on the floor. During the day, we go there to read or draw/color. Sometimes the children will bring their legos up to play with too. :)

I'm planning on making steak salads for supper tonight. Salads are a great hot-weather meal...and the bit of steak will taste delicious on it! What are you having for supper?

Kindly,
Katy :)

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

16 comments:

  1. What great neighbors! The kids look like they are having fun :O)

    *Christi jo*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa from IllinoisJune 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

    Your pictures look like so much fun!! We are having Amish bread, homemade egg noodles with cream sauce, salad, and homemade cheesecake, plus a chocolate cake. It's my son's and Grandma's birthdays today!! God Bless You and your Family!!..:)))

    Lisa from Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,
    Thanks for sharing your day with us. I always enjoy your blog entries. We live in southern Manitoba, Canada and it has not been nice at all. With flooding and cool temperatures we are really looking forward to hot days and perhaps getting a chance to go swimming. We are having fish and tater tots for supper with green bean casserol. A quick meal as I was away from home most of the day. Enjoy the rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun! You are fortunate to have such a loving and generous neighbor...how can you not enjoy this beautiful pool! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my!! I even had to call the children to the computer to see the swimming chipmunk! LOL!
    Great pictures of your hubby. The kids must enjoy having such a fun Dad!
    The kids and I just got back from Cost-co where among other things, I bought 2 pizzas for the housefull of boys' we're having tonight for a good-bye sleepover with their friends before we move. I'm also making chocolate covered pretzels for dessert... which I better get to right now before my chocolate burns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you all had a great time. Great neighbours too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. coming soon to a pool near you: ME and ELOISE

    i am soooo ready for swimming!!!! and you can hold El while i hang out in the water! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like so much fun! It's so wonderful that your husband can be so carefree when home. They need that now and again
    It's not nearly that hot here,just comfy right now. We are having spaghetti, garlic toast, and veggies and dip.
    Have a wonderful evening! How do you normally spend your evenings?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We also have a neighbour who let us use her pool over summer - it was such a blessing, especially with our hot summers. Now we have our own pool and can just step out the door and the extra blessing is because it is a natural pool - no chlorine.
    Opposite season here so it might be a warming pumpkin curry for supper tonight. I have just made another batch of chilli jam and about to make some cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is byfar my favorite blog of yours. I was laughing so hard at your husband's jumping. Funny man!! You are blessed indeed to have such a great family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hot weather broke with a thunderstorm last night--so we had meatballs and boiled potatoes. The air feels SO much lighter since the storm. Enjoyed hearing about your day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like everyone is having lots of fun, even the *big* kids, LOL!!! Hubby and I had pork chops and baked taters on the grill and a spinach salad fresh from the garden:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are finding a way to stay cool! Tim always swims and has fun with the kids too, at my parents pool!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great neighbors! The pool is where we have been too. My parents have a pool and then Megan has a nice size kid pool. Chuck and I even hopped in it with her this evening. :)

    For supper we had roast beef sandwiches and chips. It is super hot and a cold roast beef sandwich hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katy! I enjoyed the summer fun pictures. We went to the rover last night to swim and relax after a hot and humid day too. There is nothing like floating in the water, enjoying hubby and the kids. Love making the memories!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy