Saturday, June 25, 2011

Points to Ponder

 "...the cross is the symbol of Christianity. It marks the dividing line between man's futile efforts to achieve God's righteousness and God's gracious act in sending Christ to redeem all who will follow. It represents the most decisive moment in history, when God answered the great human dilemma that we have all sinned and yearn for forgiveness: God took upon Himself our sins to set us free." 
~ Charles Colson, The Faith

While reading a book, certain phrases will pop out at me...things that make me think and that have me nodding my head in agreement, as if the book's author can see me! Have you ever read something and wanted to be able to exclaim it to those around you? I love to have the chance to share things with you here. It's my time to *exclaim* what I have read to others!

"What we choose really does matter. If we live in an exclusively material world, human life -- including mine and yours -- is absolutely meaningless. No matter how intense our passions, how great our accomplishments, or what side of history we choose, all of this will turn to dust in a universe doomed to extinction....But if there is a personal Creator, if God is, then His creation can reflect His character; it can reveal God's purposes for us. Our lives instantly gain meaning. The world becomes a means of knowing God as well as our dwelling place. We can truly be the reasoning, imaginative, creative persons we believe ourselves to be."
 ~ Charles Colson, The Faith

As is obvious from the quotes I have posted, I am reading The Faith by Charles Colson and Harold Fickett. It's a book about "what Christians believe, why they believe it and why it matters". It's really good...full of great information and explanations. If you are *not* a Christian and want to know what we believe, it's a wonderful source for you to find out! Or maybe, like me, you just enjoy reading good non-fiction books! Either way, it's straight forward and easy to understand....yet, makes you *think*. In this world of political-correctness and "tolerance"...Colson doesn't water the message down.

This quote from the book, although sure to stir up some folks, is one of my favorites....

"Tolerance, falsely defined as putting all propositions on an equal footing -- as opposed to giving ideas an equal hearing -- has replaced truth.....millions acquiesce to the all-beliefs-are-equal doctrine for the sake of bettering their social position in our values-free, offend-no-one culture. But to succumb to this indifference is not to accept a tolerant or liberal view of Christianity; it is to embrace another religion, a belief in some supreme value -- perhaps tolerance -- but not in the God who is and who has spoken."
 ~Charles Colson, The Faith

Jesus instructed Christians to *love*. To not share the Truth and allow someone to feel safe and secure in their wrong beliefs (for tolerance sake) is terribly unloving. Of course, we should be steadfast and firm in the Truth...yet gentle and loving in our speech and manner towards those we are speaking to. Allowing people to believe that "all roads lead to Heaven" is a lie....and we don't lie to those we love. Jesus is the *only* way to Heaven. He loved us, so much, that He took the burden of *our* sins to the cross. I am so thankful for His love for me. Are you? Do you love those around you enough to share the Truth with them?
Along with sharing the Truth...are you living it out?   Just some points to ponder! 

Here at home...
We have kept busy this week, periods of rain and sunshine alternating through the days.




I love this skirt on Madelyn (a great thrift store find!)...


X's much loved guitar, used when we sing worship together (our voices out of *tune* and *melody*, but still singing out in praise and worship to our God, Who loves it, despite our imperfections)...



A stack of dishcloths, ready to be used...


There was a sidewalk sale downtown, yesterday, and I got this fantastic piece for $1! I also found some other great items at that store on sale for $1...one was a framed picture that had originally been $30!




On the menu for supper, last night, was meatloaf...


...salad, mashed potatoes and corn...


And for after supper...


Last evening, we enjoyed a visit with one of Chris's close friends from high school and met his new fiance! We had a lovely time of conversation and laughter! Good friends are such a blessing...even when you only see them infrequently. It's fun to "catch up" and hear about what has been going on in each one's life. 

Chris went over to his brother, Dan's, house this morning, to change the brakes on Dan's truck. The children and I will spend time with housework, reading and playing. Later, we will be attending a birthday party for our friends' son who is turning one. We look forward to getting together to celebrate with everyone! 

I hope you enjoy your weekend. Thanks, so much, for visiting. There are many who read whom I never hear from (would you want to say *hello* just to introduce yourself? If not, that's okay...either way please know I appreciate you taking the time to stop by. :)

Kindly,
Katy

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late." ~Marie Beyon Ray

10 comments:

  1. Good morning Katy,

    I stop by whenever I can. I enjoy your blog! It's nice to read like minded Christian blogs!

    The book you are reading sounds good and we love Josh McDowell's devotions!



    Hope you and your family have a great weekend!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Madelyn's skirt looks lovely and your meatloaf looks so delicious.
    I have been here before, but haven't introduced myself yet.
    My name is Monique and I live in The Netherlands, near the Belgian border, together with my husband, two kids ( one is almost leaving home) and four pets.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,

    Thanks for always speaking truth in love!

    Have a delightful day!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog Katy and usually read it at work...and many times you bring happy tears to my eyes...hello...I am at work missy! Love your sweet comments I also love the Lord and have NO REGRETS! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, What a great set of quotes..and all I can say is AMEN! Especially that last quote about tolerance. I feel better already just reading it. :O)

    I love anything Chuck Colson writes anyway.

    xo
    Donna

    PS. Sweet photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post and much words of truth you shared...blessings...love that dollar find....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy, Your blog has inspired me so much! I even tried making bread for my first time. All ill say about that is..Practice makes perfect lol! I am from Waco,Ky and visit your blog daily,but havent introduced myself until now. thanks so much for your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to stop by and catch up with you and your world Katy. I used to have a blog. . . but it was owning me and I wasn't owning it after a while. . . so I gave it up. I love reading like-minded, good Christian blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. where will you be putting that candle thingy? good deal! especially for your high ceilings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you tried Comfy in the Kitchen's meatloaf recipe? So delicious! www.comfynkitchen.blogspot.com Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy