Friday, June 3, 2011

A Fight for Life

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss

I probably cannot name one single person who has not been affected by the terrible disease of cancer in one way or another. Maybe you have fought (or are fighting) this disease or know someone who is. So many suffer with it...tearing from us ones we know and love. When I hear that someone has cancer, often I feel so helpless. I cry out to God in prayer but always wish there was more I could do. Today, I have been given the chance. I thought that maybe, just maybe, you would want to help too! ;)

We have family friends, whom we love. We grew up knowing each other most of our lives! The eldest daughter and I grew up together in church and graduated high school together. Her mother, Jamie, is battling lung cancer (this is not her first run-in with this awful disease, either, as you can read HERE). She is a sweet and loving woman...always striving to be a strong and good mother to her three children. She has a wonderful sense of humor and is generous with her time and abilities. *** I just know, if you knew her, you would like her too! :) *** Jamie's children are all adults now, having children of their own...and oh how she loves those grandchildren of hers (and one still being formed in it's mother's womb)!

One day, I was at my dad's garage and Jamie came in...she looked defeated and heavy-hearted. I asked if she was okay and she said she wasn't. I didn't press for information though. Once she had left, I prayed for her and have done so, each time she is brought to mind. I didn't realize until recently that she was diagnosed in the fourth stage of lung cancer.

My friend, Jamie's daughter, is trying to help her mother relieve some of her stress from all that she is going through. We all know that much of this burden, unfortunately, can be financial. So, in an attempt to raise money to aid her mother's finances during lost work time and tests and treatments, she has started a website called Cakes to Fight Cancer.

I know the hearts of the readers who visit here. Your always loving encouragment and support through comments and emails show me who *you* are. So, I come to you, first asking for prayer for Jamie. This is the first and most important thing we can do. And next, to consider entering (through donation of any amount) a monthly raffle for one of these fantastic specialty cakes my friend makes! You can see some photos of her cakes HERE. Talk to your husband first...and pray about it...every little bit helps and you just may win one of the monthly raffles to enjoy one of these *fantastic* cakes!

You can go HERE to learn more and HERE to donate...all donations are safe and secure. I thank you so much for reading and praying...as I know even if you can't afford to give *monetarily* that you will pray ~ our God hears those prayers...Thank-you, thank-you dear friends!

Warmly,
Katy


"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

8 comments:

  1. I will definitely lift your friends Mother up in prayer Katy. I serve a mighty God and I know he is well able to deliver her from this disease yet again!
    Keep us posted.
    In Faith,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will definitely be in my prayers! I too am a three year survivor of stage 4 uterine cancer. My prognosis was less than
    a 30 percent chance of survival. I have been cancer free for 3 years. There is always HOPE : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy I will lift prayers up to the almighty as he is foremost the ultimate physician.

    Cancer hit so close to home for me as my son was stage 4 cancer at 18 mos old of a very rare type of cancer that at the time they weren't sure how to treat. He was there experiment with options and with alot of prayers and the Lord at his side he is 25 yrs cancer free.

    My mom was diagnosed 3 yrs ago with uterine cancer and has been 2 yrs cancer free praise God so this terrible disease hits home hard. Also at this time my sister in law is stage 4 multiple mylenoma and fighting it hard.

    So I will do the most important thing of praying. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie's daughterJune 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM

    Thank you so much first to Katy for passing this along for me - I am so grateful. Thank you also to all of the wonderful readers who are offering their prayers and support. I am so touched by the kindness of everyone, even people who don't know my mom personally. It is a very difficult time for the whole family, but we are encouraged by the prayers, kindness, and words of encouragement from those around us. Thank you so much to everyone. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy,
    I love your Dr. Seuss quote!!!!! Your blog is such a blessing!
    In Christ,
    LD

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. I remember how hard it was for all of us when she was undergoing treatment and fighting this terrible disease.

    Chuck and I will be sitting down to do our monthly budget this weekend. I will see if we can make a donation. The power of prayer is great and I will be praying for Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. praying for your friend's mom..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for FAITH, COURAGE, and HOPE for your friend's Mom (and her family and friends). Yes, the "dark under-woven threads" have their purpose as our family can testify when we were in this same situation. We learned that the good Lord has peculiar ways of blessing us in difficult circumstances. Certainly He knows what He's doing!

    Well wishes sent your way!!
    Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy