Monday, June 13, 2011

Hungry?

Last week, my mom and her sister were in Massachusetts, helping their aunt with some things. While they were gone, mom needed more hay bales brought to her barn for her horses. She called Chris and he did it for her. As a *thank-you*, mom brought him a fresh lobster to cook and eat. We don't know how to cook lobster, but my uncle (mom's brother) does...so she brought some for him and my cousin, Zach, too. So it became a lobster-cooking-night at my uncle's house...

My thought on the whole process, you wonder? I hold to a resounding (and quite mature) opinion of "Eww!". I am not a seafood fan. It was fun to watch Chris, my uncle and Zach all enjoy them though! *I found Chris to be such a good sport...he even wore the lobster bib! ;)

My boys agreed with me on the smell of cooked lobster...

I was struggling to control my gag reflex...I didn't stay the whole time to watch. I have to admit, watching the live lobster go into the boiling water was a bit traumatic. I *know* all the meat we eat must die first....I guess I just try not to think about it.


Ok, I guess it is time for me to admit...I have never actually *tried* lobster...so my opinion of it isn't really fair. The smell of it, though, is bad enough to me! Do you like lobster?

Today is to be a nice day....a high of 70* and sunny. I have clothes out on the line. After doing some devotions and singing, the children hurried outside to work on their clubhouse. I will continue my housework and maybe work on some knitting, as well! I also hope to mix up some homemade shampoo (for me) and playdough for the children! (It's amazing, all the fun things you can find to make or repurpose on the internet, isn't it!? HERE is a place where you can find fun ideas for mason jars! And HERE is 61 uses for baking soda!)

I hope you enjoyed your weekend! Glad you visited me today!
Kindly,
Katy

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late."~Marie Beyon Ray

16 comments:

  1. Well Katy, I live in Lobster/fishing world....to I like it....EWWWWW!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *love* lobster! However, I haven't cooked it at home so I cannot comment on the smell of it. I'm thinking it's one of those foods best cooked outside! LOL

    A few years ago I made all the Christmas gifts for our nieces and nephews and one of the things in the baskets was homemade playdough, I had made a huge batch of pumpkin pie scent (just add in some pumpkin pie spices and appropriate food coloring and peppermint for the gifts. It was very well loved! I hope that you and your children enjoy it as much as we did, it lasted a long time too. We just kept it stored in a good plastic container since it was easier for them to get out rather than my original idea of a mason jar. Just make sure you use a *very* strong spoon when making it! I broke two of mine in the process! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, I grew up in RI and my husband grew up in Maine, so we LOVE lobster! Whenever we travel back east to visit family, we always eat tons of it! And the smell of it cooking just brings back wonderful childhood memories for us! No "Ewwwww!" here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... I love Lobster. Never cooked it, just ordered it in resturaunts, rarely though! $$

    I don't think I could cook it.. I'd feel bad. Let someone else do the dirty work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only ever had lobster once and I drenched it in melted butter, LOL! I'm with you though on the live creature going into the pot, seems so devastating:O I'm off to check out the mason jar ideas, thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a fan of lobster or really any seafood.

    We are having the wonderful weather here also. I have all my laundry hung on the line. I am getting ready to fill the cookie jar and then it is back outside.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lobsters are kinda like ocean roaches so don't feel too bad about the boiling water..and they are good..unfortunately, I am allergic to shellfish..afraid, I'd be in the hospital just from the smell..get a severe reaction....
    you should have tried it though....it doesn't taste like it smells, honest...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seafood and MEGA LOVE lobster! But as others said - unless its a local thing it can get to be pricey!
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE LOVE lobster!! Wish I had your problem..Tee-hee!

    Love the photos though Katy!
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE lobster! And crab legs, and fish and shrimp. I'm not into all seafood, but I have tried lots. I only get lobster tails and crab legs. That way I don't have to look at their faces! We once ordered seafood at Joe's Crab Shack. It came out in buckets, which was cool. What was not cool was the full lobster, and it was a female with roe! I tried the roe, but I didn't like it. I traded with hubby for his male lobster. lol.

    I am off to check out those links you posted. Have a blessed day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you about the smell of lobster. I, too, have never tried it, I can't get past the smell! My family loves to go to the big name seafood dinner chains, but I can't even get in the door ! I do love a good batter dipped fish fry but that's about it. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, no, no! I don't like seafood and Jason is allergic to the iodine in it, so we don't do seafood. I would have the same reaction as you, I'm afraid! :)

    Just made us some homemade playdough a couple of weeks ago and the kids are enjoying it!

    I'm going to check out your mason jar idea leak!

    Thanks, Katy! You have a great week! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a seafood fan either! My husband likes to try new things, but I am not so adventurous!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love sea food, but I understand how ya'll don't like the smell when it's cooking. It looks like your husband was enjoying it!! You have a beautiful family!!

    God Bless...:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute pictures Katy! We like seafood - - hubby loves lobster tail, while I prefer scallops and shrimp. I tell ya though, a good pot roast or roasted chicken is as good as anything! (:
    Thanks for sharing the links! Have a nice week ahead!

    Smiles and well wishes sent your way!
    Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoy lobster! However, I've only ever gotten a whole lobster, once in Maine when I was in high school. And I must say that eating a whole lobster was kind of disgusting. I much rather just have the lobster tail!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy