Friday, January 2, 2009

"Ordinary" Days

The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest. ~ Thomas Moore



Nothing overly "exciting" happening here lately. Enjoying our little holiday break from schooling...but will start again on Monday. I actually look forward to jumping into the routine again! :)

My days are full of cleaning, knitting, devotions, and spending time with family. Although that sounds mundane...it truly isn't. I am so thankful for my life and really strive to enjoy it each day.


We had a nice, quiet New Years Day....which was good for me. Friends of ours had come over to celebrate New Years Eve with us....and we were up late....talking, laughing and playing the Wii. I tried to doze through the night...but Chris wouldn't let me! The first day of January 2009....I felt exhausted. I was simply not made to stay up late! We spent the morning at home and then went to Chris's parents' house for lunch and stayed and visited (and dozed on the couch) for the afternoon. The kids played with cousins and had a great time!


A couple unpleasant things to report though....one of the "girls" has died. I'm not sure how....but when I went out to check on them the other day....she was dead in the chicken run...featherless and picked at. Those chickens sure are brutal with each other.


The other bad thing that has happened is our dryer died. Well...not totally...but the heating part of it did. I am one who loves to hang out laundry....however, not so much in the cold and frigid winter air outside right now! So....chris is going to have someone look at it. Hopefully it is an inexpensive fix! No matter what though, I know the Lord provides and it will all work out! :)

Today....after lunch, the kids and I are going to my aunt's salon. My sister (who is getting married in May) is having her hair practiced on for the wedding! I look forward to seeing how it will look! I am sure it will be beautiful! We are all so excited for this wedding. We have all truly grown to love her fiance, Cory. He is a wonderful man and I think they will truly be happy together! He totally fits in our family....as do his parents. We love his parents! My kids love them too! They even come and spend Christmas morning with us! It is wonderful!

Anyhoo.....things to do in this "ordinary" day! I hope you all are having a great start to 2009 and I thank you so much for stopping by for a visit! It's a joy to read each and every comment from you! Happy Friday! xoxo

17 comments:

  1. Love the quote! It is the simple, ordinary things that make me the happiest.

    I am not a night owl and sleep in the New Year. I sleep in until 8 the next morning. That is such a treat for me!

    Sorry to hear you lost one of your girls. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had the perfect New Years. We were in bed by 10? maybe......Have a great day!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful days those ordinary days can be. I think that is how God planned for them to be. Sorry to hear about your dryer and the girl.
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhh....the beauty of ordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I was visiting this evening and saw all of your chickens. I am sorry that one is passed. You are right, they can get pretty rambunctious! We have 4 girls and planning a few more this spring. We can't wait! :O) Also, I like how you showed making butter in a jar. We are still a little new to country living and were shown how to make butter last fall. :o) YUM!
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
    Ps. I sure appreciate the simplicity of an ordinary day. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katy!!I`ve been catching up on your blog.I`ve been soo busy latly,I just havn`t had any time for blogging.
    I`m so sorry to hear about your lil chicken:( How sad. I hope you can get your dryer fixed.That must be awefl having to hang clothes out in the bitter cold.I was thinking...did you ever try asking for one on freecycle?
    That so exciteing about your sisters wedding in May!!Hope you have a great weeken!!!!
    Love and blessings,Toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Katy, I enjoy getting back into the routine after holidays and vacations too. I seem to thrive on routine.
    Sorry to hear about your losses (the "girl" and the dryer). My dryer is making a funny noise and needs to be looked at too. Hope it's not too expensive to fix.
    Stay warm. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about one of the girls :( Chickens are just brutal little things sometimes, aren't they :(

    I too love 'ordinary'. There's nothing better than just having your family and your home and just being together :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Happy New Year! I'm sorry to hear about your chicken.
    Your dryer's heating element has probably gone out. My dh says their pretty easy to replace. You'll need to unscrew the back panel of the dryer. Sears usually keeps parts for them. You'll just need the make and model. Dh had to replace ours and it was pretty easy.
    Anyway, it might be cheaper to do it yourselves if you or your dh are a tiny bit mechanical.

    Also, I love your quote too. I prefer ordinary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry about your hen. Any loss is sad.
    Sounds like a very eventful new year's eve to me. Us old fogies watched a couple movies and had popcorn. Woohoo!!!!We enjoyed it as if it were a big party, though.
    Best wishes for the new year, Katy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ordinary days are the best, I must agree :) They allow you to truly appreciate the real things in life! Also, it is so wonderful to hear how well Devon is doing! congrats to her and her new family to be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy, you always look at the bright side...that's why I love your blog! Stop on over to my blog I have an award for you! Hugs! ~Beth~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the simple things in life too, they're really the things that warm my heart. :)

    Wishing you many sweet blessings in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are all feeling well and nobody else has gotten sick!

    Just checking in on y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy for Nen! Such wonderful news!

    Sorry about the chicken. I hate when they're mean to each other. I had to separate one girl for 6 weeks until a little spot on her comb healed. They picked on her relentlessly because of it. Oh if I didn't need the eggs a couple of those girls would have met my shotgun! LOL Well not really, but I felt like it.

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy