Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Bread Recipe

A few people have asked for the bread recipe I used for the bread I made in THIS post. I got this recipe out of my Better Homes and Gardens Recipe Book.



White Bread

5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups milk or buttermilk (I used milk)
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. butter, margarine or shortening (I used butter)
1 1/2 tsp. salt

1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/2 cups of the flour and yeast; set aside. In a saucepan, heat and stir milk, sugar, butter and salt just till warm and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture and beat with mixer for 30 seconds (scraping sides constantly). Beat on HIGH for 3 minutes. Then, using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour to make dough that is smooth and elastic (about 6 to 8 min.) Shape dough into ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double in size (about 45-60 min.).

3. Punch dough down and then put on lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover, let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two bread pans.

4. Shape each portion of dough into a loaf by patting or rolling.

5. Place the shaped dough in the prepared loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place till nearly double in size (30-40 min.).

6. Bake in a 375* oven about 40 minutes or till bread sounds hollow when tapped. Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be using this for sure! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you posted this recipe! It will go great with the stew that is on the menu this week!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe! It looks like it will be sooo good! Merrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an easy recipe. I'll have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting your recipe. I appreciate it so much. It was really nice of you.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy