Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Another Day...Under God's Umbrella

(I added this pic above...cuz I like pinecones and these are cinnamon scented ones..YUM! I have some in the kitchen and living room and they smell sooo good to walk by!)

For any that don't know, Under God's Umbrella is the name of our homeschool! :) We are under the protection of God while learning in a loving and nurturing home! Today was day 26 of our "official" school year. I say it with the quotations because every day...whether we have the school books out or not, is a day of schooling and learning. New experiences each day...always something to learn!!! :o)
For example, last night...we were out in the garden with my MIL, digging up potatoes and beets and picking peppers. Madelyn is a pro at this and does so well with it. She just may have a green thumb! That was a great learning adventure for her...and the boys! They loved it!!!



We started our day with songs and prayer. The kids love to sing songs and I let them pick out what songs they want to sing. Then we pray and start the day! No matter what...prayer is a wonderful way to start your day...whether you are homeschooling or not. Even when Madelyn went to Kindergarten last year...we would pray together before she got on the bus! If you don't pray with your children in the morning...I encourage you to do so....it really is a wonderful way to start your day! :o)

And I LOVE this quote by Laura Ingalls Wilder.....

“I believe it would be much better for everyone if children were given their start in education at home. No one understands a child as well as his mother, and children are so different that they need individual training and study. A teacher with a room full of pupils cannot do this. At home, too, they are in their mother’s care. She can keep them from learning immoral things from other children.”

X has some Aqua Doodle fun......

Working, coloring, learning......



Madelyn learning about our 4th president....James Madison....

Coloring together without fighting.....YIPPEE!!!!......


So there is a look at the "official" part of our school day! But that is just the beginning of our learning...because the whole day is filled with learning adventures of life!!!

To end this post today...I wanted to add this quote by Albert Einstein...Oh my goodness...it is soooooooooooooo true and totally cracks me up!!!! LOL Here ya go...and have a WONDERFUL day! xoxo

"The order in the world and the universe is as likely to have been caused by a random big bang, as an explosion in a print shop is likely to produce a complete unabridged dictionary."

26 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you. Everything is going as you knew it would. God is great!!
    I never thought about praying in the morning with the kids. I think its a wonderful idea. I will be starting to do that here.
    Thank you. :)
    As always your blog post is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your children look so happy to be learning at home:)

    I sure hope that Madeline does have a green thumb it will make it so much easier on her when she gets her own home, I sure wish I had one.lol
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great start to the day!!!!! I love sharing your journey with you! Thank you for letting us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Just doing a lit'l blog surfing... Thanks for sharing your heart. And I absolutely LOVE your school name! May your day be blessed! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Katy, I am all caught up with you!! I have enjoyed your last few posts!! How wonderful about the heater, too!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing this post was!! Thaks so much for sharing your day with us!!I always feel so encouraged after reading one of your posts.Your life is suck a testamony of Gods faithfulness! Every time I hear about a homeschooling experience from you I think back to the times when you were so confused about what direction God wanted you to take with homeschooling. To see you on this journey is such a sweet reminder of Gods faithfulness to His childern!! That quote by Laura Ingalls Wilder brought tears to my eyes!!
    I love those pinecones too! I bet they make the house feel warm and cozy!! Hope you have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like everyone is enjoying the schooling and learning. I think it is wonderful that you teach them things about gardening and such. So many children never get that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to hear about your days of schooling my friend! The kids just look so happy and eager to learn and do new things!! I need your daughters green thumb for my garden next year!!:0) Have a very Blessed day!~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy, I absolutely love that quote by LIW! Those words ring so true! Have a wonderful rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful name for your school! Your children look so happy and busy! I need your advice and opinion on my latest post. Could you hop over and leave a comment? Thanks so much, blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy, I am so glad to see the schooling is going so well. Your life is such an inspiration! The quote from Laura is so true. Many is the time when I have had that same thought after having to listen to a critique of my child from her teacher. I would think to my self "If only you knew her like I do!" Be Blessed..~Beth~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Katy!

    I'm so happy school is going great for you and the kiddos. I love to see what you're all up to. Your babies are just too cute!

    Have a wonderful rest of your week and your pumpkin bread looks devine!

    God bless,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I knew then (when my children were small) what I know now. I might have considered homeschooling. This is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely pics of the kids...so precious!

    love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katy,
    You have an award waiting for you.
    Kim in OK

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything looks like it's going great! I'm happy for you! I was wondering, what book your daughter was using on the presidents?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your comments on my Blog and for "sharing" that quote about Simplification"!!

    :o) Holly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah me either:)
    You have gorgeous kids with GREAT smiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katy,

    I honestly didnt do a thing to remove the plywood look. I sanded the edges quite a bit because the saw had them pretty rough by the time we were done with that part. I did use a dark walnut stain, maybe that helped? Ya know, now that I am looking down at them, the lines from the saw kind of break up the plywood look, I guess it all depends how the wood is laid down, ya know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved your post, as always. We pray morning and night as a family and also do personal prayer. It's the ONLY way to make it through the day. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent quotes! I feel like *I* learned something from school today - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW!! I am so impressed by your organization and dedication to the whole home-schooling experience. I do not possess much by way of organization, so it is a skill I admire in those that make it look so easy. I love the quotes too! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. You have a beautiful family! I have enjoyed going back through your posts and will definitely be back :0)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog. You have a beautiful family! I have enjoyed going back through your posts and will definitely be back :0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. SO true my friend! There is so much we can teach our children at home and in everyday experiences. The 'smartest' kids I saw in school had parents who realized this! Love the name of your curriculum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    I am in agreement with what you said about formal learning but that everything, everyday is a learning opportunity!

    I am always excited to meet other home educators and this is your first year, right? Enjoy! The blessings are many, there will be struggles, but I wouldn't trade teaching my children at home for anything. We have a bond that is so special!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy