Saturday, October 4, 2008

Appreciating Simplicity

Above is a picture of what I was doing yesterday....going through clutter, throwing things away...making up bags for Goodwill and putting things in bins...which I then, labeled. I don't have a super cool labeler thingy...so I use masking tape and handwrite them!

This is all right at the top of my steps when you go upstairs in my home. Is it "pretty"....nope. But is it neat and tidy?? YES!!! Wooooooohoooo! We don't have any closets in my home, except the one in my bedroom. Isn't that horrible? It makes it sooo hard to store anything. This little upstairs nook is kinda a waste of space....so I decided to utilize it. I am not done decluttering...but I have gotten alot done. My downstairs usually stays pretty neat...but sometimes the bedrooms need decluttered. It seems like a constant task! I am just sick of "stuff".

I got a book a couple months ago....called "Lists To Live By"....it is so great! It's a Christian collection of things that actually MATTER! One I want to share with you is called:

Appreciate Simplicity
  • Simplicity adds quality and contentment to your life.
  • Simplicity comes from learning to say no.
  • Simplicity is being satisfied with what you don't have as with what you have.
  • Simplicity involves removing clutter.
  • Simplicity means never buying something for the purpose of impressing others.
  • Simplicity refuses to get caught in the trap of overspending, overcommitting, and overworking.
  • Simplicity enjoys happiness and treasures joy.
  • Simplicity cherishes tranquility.
  • Simplicity knows how to be content in whatever situation you find yourself.
  • Simplicity celebrates God's creation and sees God in the small stuff.
(It is adapted from "God is in the Small Stuff" By Bruce and Stan)

Manifest plainness, Embrace simplicity, Reduce selfishness, Have few desires. ~Lao-tzu
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!! xoxoxo

14 comments:

  1. You're very good at organizing Katy, look at all those bins neatly stacked. Good job!

    I love the simplicity list you posted, I've been talking about the simple things on my blog lately too :)

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy, Katy! I love to get things all cleaned and organized.

    I really enjoy the books called "Lists To Live By". I have a couple of them and they are awesome.

    Have a great weekend!
    Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've certainly been busy!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but relate! Matthew and I lived in an apartment, in Maryland, that had NO closets either! There was a little bit of shlef space uner the sink, but thats it! It was horrible, and so hard to find space to store ANYTHING. So, I did the same as you...I purchased bins and labeled them (the old fashion way) except I stored them under my bed due to the lack of space. However, you have that availabel to you! Nice work! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post Katy!! It`s so weird cause I was thinking about siplicity as well today!! It started with thinking about taking a trip to Lancaster.I`ll have to get that book you mentioned! It sounds great!
    Also,I know what you mean about closet space.We have a walk in closet off of the bathroom and then a linen closet in our bathroom and that`s it.I also make homemade lables with paper and tape:)Lol! So you are not alone on that either.Another great way to live the simple life:)Why waste money on stuff when we can give that money to our church,or perhaps a family or friend in need? Hopoe your having a blessed day with your family Katy:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so organized Katy, what a great attribute to have! You have given me a project this week! Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an AWESOME job. It looks great! I've been decluttering my little corners now, I've spent the last 2 years doing a massive decluttering, it amazes me how much we can aquire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome job. I love that you love life simply. I am trying to achieve that daily, and it is getting better, I will have to say...Next week could be different! I added you to my blog, I hope that is ok...?? kelli

    ReplyDelete
  9. That book sounds interesting! You did a good job of using a wasted space, our old house didn't have but one closet upstairs so I know what you mean. Congrats on the win too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been feeling a little overwhelmed and I needed to see this post.

    Great job getting organized!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! My personal motto is "simplify!" I know that word means different things to different people, but it is a great and wonderous thing!
    I am copying down your list for future reference. I believe all of those hold true for me, but it's nice to be reminded now and again.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simplicity rules! Well done on your organization - and all in bins too! Very enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I am just sick of "stuff"

    You do not want to know how many times I said that yesterday, when we were trying to unpack the last ten boxes from our move.... sigh.... ;)

    It doesn't help that we went from an appartment with LOADS of build-in storage to a house with practically NONE.. *lol*

    We've been purging ang purging and purging, but we still have too much.. and honestly, I don't know where it all came from.... :P

    Greetings from the netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the appreciate simplicity list. I often wonder if I "had to have" something only because I saw it on a few blogs. I definitely need to step back and ask myself if it is a need or want sometimes. That and I don't want my children thinking that we should get stuff whenever we want.
    Thanks Katy!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy