Monday, July 19, 2010

House *Work*

Chris is working on the *last* side of our house that needs sided!!! (Pictures are from Saturday) I am so excited! Because our home is made of the tile/block that you see in the pictures, it has no insulation. So Chris has to attached all these wooden strips to the outside walls. He will put foam insulation sheets between them. The siding will be held on, then, by screwing the lengths of siding onto the wooden strips. He also needs to box in around the windows...so they look like all our other windows.

Oh my goodness, I am just so, so excited! All he has left to do is this side and then the two dormers above! If you look at the window on the addition, below, you can see that we haven't even taken the stickers off of the windows from when they were new, yet! ;) We have been focusing our efforts on getting the siding up *before* working on the new living room/pantry/laundry room that will be housed in the addition! :)

While Chris worked on that (with some help from his eldest)...I was busy inside! I washed some loads of laundry, including some quilts and then hung them out on the line to dry...

...folded and put laundry away after it was dry...


...did dishes, sweeping, and general cleaning all day as well. :) I also decided to make some peanut butter pies for Chris. I was so thrilled that he had time to work on the siding and I wanted to show him my appreciation...what better way than through his stomach? :)

So I made the two pies...but the graham cracker crusts were terribly crumbly. I have never made such a messy peanut butter pie before! But there was just no escaping it! As I scraped the mixture into the crust and tried to spread it around, the crust fell apart and just made a mess! I was quite bummed by it's appearance...but after everyone took a piece ~ I got rave reviews! X said I was the "best pie-maker ever"! :) So...thankfully, the taste was not affected!

Today, Madelyn and I worked hard working on some things *inside* the house! Below is a picture of a cupboard we had in our laundry room...not really the prettiest cupboard, but it worked as a good pantry area until we get our pantry officially built! ;)

She and I emptied it all out and moved it into the addition. It was hard work for this almost-29-year-old and a nine-year-old! (It's not very lady-like to mention that we were sweating buckets...but I want everyone to realize how truly hard we worked...so I will use the word "glisten" for "sweat"... ;) So, as I was saying...we were working really hard and *glistening* buckets! After it was moved, we reorganized it as well as some of the kitchen cupboards. (The left side is a place where Chris can hang his work uniforms)...

So you may be wondering what we put in the not-so-pretty cupboard's place...

An old dresser/bureau of my mom's that she let me have. I *used* to have it in my dining room, quite a while back, but now it has found a good place to rest. The walls behind it were freshly scraped of all it's ugly wallpaper and left bare until I decide what I want to do with them! You can see my recipes in the basket there...and also below the dresser is my homemade laundry soap! :)
**I have some cereal in the plastic bins there...but what I would like to get are 2 gallons jars with scoops (similar to the 1 gallon jars I use for my flour etc...which you can see at the bottom of THIS post) ...but at $20 each...I may have to wait a while before I get them!**

Now...if you haven't been reading my blog for very long...you may wonder what this horrid wallpaper looked like. Well, you are in luck! I took a picture of the other side of my laundry room that I haven't quite finished peeling the wallpaper on!

Yes...it's balloons....and the border consisted of happy little clowns. We bought this house from my grandmother...and she loved clowns. She was trying to do something fun and different...but it just really isn't my style. At all. It ran into the kitchen too...which is why my kitchen is red and white. I have gotten the wallpaper off in there...and tried to give my kitchen more of a farmhouse country feel to it.

Pictured above is our temporary laundry room...our *new* laundry room will be in the addition, in it's own little closet in the mudroom. :) This temp. laundry room is just off the kitchen and will be made, hopefully one day, into a breakfast nook or something to that affect! :) Until then...I try ever so hard to remain patient and content. I just have so many dreams and ideas that I would love to put into action...however, time and money are not things that are in abundance for us...so we do what we can, when we can. :) I am sure many of you can relate!

And...before I go...I just want to share this with you...

My aunt gave me this ladder and I just love it...but I haven't decided where I want to put it yet...but I know I will come up with something! ;)

Thanks for visiting! I hope you are enjoying the beginning of your week! :)
I must admit, I am looking forward to bedtime! How about you?
Dreamily,
Katy :)

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

9 comments:

  1. Everything looks wonderful Katy, and I DO remember your balloon wallpaper;) Love that old dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy you are just the cutiest!!! I love your decor style.... and the way you type its just as if you were talking!!! Way to cute!! I really enjoyed your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ladder! I certainly understand about being patient and content while projects are completed. My life seems to be one continous project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy,
    Things are coming across nicely and So much love! We've lived in 7 houses and yet I still miss our first, an old 1950's cape cod that we completely redid. I just love and miss that house.:-)As soon as I saw the ladder I was thinking in a nice garden area with clematis or roses growing up on it, near a little fountain or hand dug rock waterfall. Many ideas there! Have fun with it, can't wait to see what you decide. Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy~ It looks like yours and Chris' hard work is paying off. The house is looking very nice and I am sure no one cared about how the pie looked except you. It doesn't matter how it looks but how it tastes :)
    Love all of your wonderful pictures you post all the time.
    Blessings,Joann

    ReplyDelete
  6. That ladder is really great. I remember removing wall paper and it was not easy but most of all not fun. I painted then glazed. I loved the end result so it made it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks great! Your patience will pay off sometime when you have a nice addition to decorate. Your pies looked yummy! They are my hubby's favorite!

    Have a great day!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like all the cute things you've done with your home
    to make it more homey. As a mom of 6, try very hard to do just that. We livee in texas and have a country homevas well. I'd sure enjoy gettin to know you. Anyhow, thanks for the everyday sharng of your life with your readers. It's nice to see other families havin the same likes and goals. Blessings, christina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like all the cute things you've done with your home
    to make it more homey. As a mom of 6, try very hard to do just that. We livee in texas and have a country homevas well. I'd sure enjoy gettin to know you. Anyhow, thanks for the everyday sharng of your life with your readers. It's nice to see other families havin the same likes and goals. Blessings, christina

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy