Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

Making your own laundry soap is a wonderful, frugal way to do your laundry! I *will* buy laundry soap if I can get it on sale/clearance. But this homemade laundry soap is a wonderful way to save money...especially any of you who have large families &/or large amounts of laundry to do! :)

If you don't already make your own laundry soap...you may wonder how to do it! So, I will share with you how *I* make it...although there are other recipes/methods out there! :)

You will need:

Large Pot*
Large Spoon (to stir soap)*
Knife or Grater*
Water
1/3 bar of Fels Naptha**
1/2 c. Borax**
1/2 c. Washing Soda**
Large Container or bucket (to keep your soap stored in)

*I have a pot, spoon and knife that I use exclusively for laundry soap making.
**You can find these things in your local supermarket.


1. Grate soap with knife or grater. Put in saucepan.
2. Add 6 c. water and heat until the soap melts.

3. Add washing soda and borax ~ stir till dissolved.
4. Remove from heat.

5. Pour 4 c. hot water into bucket.
6. Add soap mix and stir.
7. Now add 1 gallon + 6 c. water and stir.

8. Let sit for 24 hours before use.

You can also add essential oils to your soap to make it smell how you want it...but my purpose in making the soap is to keep costs low...so I don't buy and add the oil to it! :)

I made lots of strawberry jam yesterday...and I have some more to do today! Have a great day! Thanks for stopping by! :)

Kindly,
Katy

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting Katy. I have been wanting to try this too. Really seems super easy and well the cost...can't beat that.

    Strawberry jam....yummy. I would love to make some but all the recipes that I find use soooo much sugar and I am diabetic.

    Thanks again for such a wonderful and inspiring blog....I'm glad God showed you to continue your message through blogging.

    Have a great day

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katy,
    I have been using homemade soap on and off for a couple of yrs (maybe longer)...I do the powdered version, but may try your recipe. Looks easy enough!
    :)
    I have made some mulberry jam lately, so yum!
    Have a blessed day! I will be shelling peas..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making my own powdered laundry soap. I feel like I need to make it everytime I turn around. I might try the liquid as it looks like it would stretch farther.

    I imagine your home smells wonderfully strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy,

    Me & my mum have been hunting for the equivalent ingredients that are sold here in the UK - no luck!!

    It looks super easy and is so cheap!!!

    Next time i'm in the US we will have to buy the stuff then and bring it back (if we are allowed anyway!)

    Gemma X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katy,
    I have been making homemade laundry soap for over a year now. Like you, I will also buy regular store bought detergent when it's on sale and I will lix a little in with my homemade to give it some soap suds.

    Yum with the strawberry jam! We are heading out in a little while to pick cherries. I want to make a small batch of jam with some and freeze the rest for pies and cobblers this winter.

    Love reading your blog! Hope that your family has a nice day!

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. wish they had a recipe for "he" washers (high efficiency). you aren't supposed to use certain soaps in those... kind of a pain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very low (to no) suds detergent so it will work in HE washers

      Delete
  7. I love making my own soap, it makes me feel like I doing something worthwhile! I make the powdered soap, but I also like the gel type.

    Love your scriptures at the end of your blog - thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made 2 versions of this....but found I can't stand the smell of Fels Naptha...so use ZOTE soap....I make a 5 gallon bucket size when I make it...also have made the dry version:
    whole box of Washing Soda
    whole box of Borax
    2 pound box BAKING soda
    I bar grated ( I double grate..first regular then through in the food processor)
    USE it dry....not even 1/4 cup...
    Got that recipe from Mary Jane's Farm...
    I am all for frugal these days..
    Deby
    btw...MJ's says you can use it in high efficiency washers, if I am not mistaken

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy, you mention to add 6 C., after the shaved soap, but you don't indicate 6 C. of WHAT at the beginning of your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make my own laundry soap too. I use the same recipe only I have played a little with mine. I use 1/2 bar fels naptha, 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda. It makes the cost a little more, but seems to work better for us. I love strawberry jam. We didn't make any this year as we ate the strawberries as soon as we got them. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this tutorial, Katy! We recently began making our own laundry soap too, but we use it in the powder form and use 1/4 to 1/3 cup per load (probably don't even need that much). This is the recipe our homeschool group shared:

    1 cup Borax
    1 Cup Washing Soda
    1 Bar Ivory Soap

    We grate the soap and mix in the borax and washing soda and keep it in an old ice cream pail. We usually make this in large batches with the ratio above. I've considered making the liquid form though but just wasn't sure how to do it ~ so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. would another kind of soap work for this? I cant find the soap you use.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The recipe I use is similar to yours! I love being able to make my own cleaners! It's cheaper, healthier, and better for the environment. Somewhere along the way we sacrificed quite a bit for convenience. I do buy the stuff off the shelf when it is on clearance as a back-up, just in case. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy