Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pulling Weeds

I always think of my sins when I weed.
They grow apace in the same way
and are harder still to get rid of.
~Helena Rutherfurd Ely, A Woman's Hardy Garden, 1903

Oh how quickly the weeds grow! I am thankful for the tiller that chops up the ground between the rows of plants...but still, we always seem to have lots of hoeing and weed-pulling to do! It seems never-ending! I love that quote above by Helena Rutherfurd Ely. Sins can seem to pop up and want to take us over...but we need to keep weeding them out of our lives as quickly as they want to appear!

Spending lots of time with our Creator in His Word and prayer is a good weed-prevention in our spiritual lives! I have to tell you, the other day, I had a small, private but important prayer answered. It is something just between *me* and *Him*. It was a healing that I truly needed. I prayed and cried out to Him fervently about it...and I can tell you with 100% certainty that He answered my prayer that very day. I have continually thanked and praised Him for what He did for me. Thinking about it, I could actually just start to cry as I type. I can't even describe what this has meant to me.
He *does* care. He *does* love. He *does* hear.

"From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from His dwelling place He watches all who live on earth -- He who forms the hearts of all, who considers all they do."
~Psalm 33:13-15

Take your troubles, worries, sickness, hurts, and burdens and lay them at His feet. Every-single-one of them! He will provide rest for your spirit. He doesn't want you to handle things alone....even what may seem to most as a *little* thing (but it is important to you)...take it to Him. Turn your eyes upon the One who loves you most. Who loves you more than you will ever understand while on this earth. He tells us in Matthew 11: 28-30:

"Come to Me all you who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (emphasis mine)

He directs us to come to Him. He will give us rest. He teaches us. He is gentle and humble. He will give us rest. His yoke is easy. His burden is light. It's all about HIM! :) He is everything we need. Give it all to Him and trust. I promise...one way or another...He will answer. He knows what is best for you and wants only the best for you! :)

While you are weeding in your garden...let Him weed out your heart! ;)

They know, they just know where to grow, how to dupe you, and how
to camouflage themselves among the perfectly respectable plants, they
just know, and therefore, I've concluded weeds must have brains.
~Dianne Benson

Despite the weeds we have been pulling...the plants are growing pretty well. The tomato plants are growing strong and Chris had to move the ties (to the stakes) on them already! Even Jaxson was busy digging in the dirt...

Jaxson picked me a flower! He wanted me to put it behind my ear...and I gladly obliged! :)

After a couple hours of weeding and wiping the sweat from our brows with our dirt covered hands...we went up to my in-loves' pavillion where we had a small fire. We made hotdogs and marshmallows and sausage.

Although difficult to see, as night set in quickly by this time...the children had fun swinging, riding bikes and catching fireflies while us adults enjoyed resting our tired ole legs! :)

The swings are something new that my in-loves added up by the pavillion! They are just fantastic! If you look closely, in the picture below...you can see there is a ladder golf game set up behind the swingset! All the guys love to play that! :)


I was quite happy once we got home though. Got the children bathed and tucked into bed...and then happily fell into bed myself! Most nights, as I first lay my tired body in my bed, I lift up a gracious thank you to God for the blessings of a nice, soft bed to lay upon. I know there are many in this world who do not have that luxury and I truly am thankful for it. :) Be thankful for the small things in your life...those things we take for granted are most often things that many may never enjoy!

Thank you for stopping by for a visit. :) I pray that God uses me as a vessel to shine His love and care for each of you. I hope you each are well and are experiencing joy daily!

Joyfully,
Katy :)


The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

~Numbers 6:24-26

13 comments:

  1. I love this post once again! I wish I had your ability to share thoughts and feelings and have others feel what you are saying! If that makes any sense. Anyways, I am envious of that huge garden!!! It looks amazing! Keep doing what you do because you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your blog. Your insights are down to earth and uplifting at the same time. Keep them coming, they are truely a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post Katy, just what I needed to read today:) I did some weeding yesterday too but my was it humid,I got so dirty crawling along I came right in and had a nice cool bath:D Love the flower you got, how sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently had a similar thought - connecting weeds with sins as I was helping my father pull out the stubborn weeds in our backyard. I love the quote... and the connections you've made.

    And your son is oh so cute - love the flower =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading your post this morning ~ made me smile, that is for sure :) Looks like you all had a wonderful time and thank you for the uplifting inspiration!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely post as always. my neighbor who lives across the street lost her baby last saturday night. the baby died in her sleep. only 5 months old. my husband and i are going to the service in an hour. give thanks for what we have...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your post and for praising Him for your answered prayer. We know that if we take our cares to Him in prayer, He will answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look forward to reading your blog! God is using you to spread his goodness, and to remind us all that he is still and always will be a very present God. All we need to do is call out to him! Thank you for reminding me of his goodness!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katy,
    I love reading your post today. Along with you, we have been working in our gardens and I know how fast weeds grow! It's never ending, but I find that it gives me some one on one time to reflect on my thoughts and prayers.

    Please continue to give us updates on your summer and gardening adventures. It's fun to hear and read that other families are so similiar to mine.

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog and I am so grateful you kept it going. You bless me every time I read it.

    You have a beautiful spirit!

    Blessings,
    Amy <><

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the reminder. Life has been at a low for me for awhile now. I needed to read the verses you posted. To hear you had a prayer answered helps to encourage me to not give up. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. funny I do the same...thank God for my bed each night:):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. funny I do the same...thank God for my bed each night:):)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy