Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rewards of the Simple Life

"To be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter...
to be thrilled by the stars at night;
to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring --
these are some of the rewards of the simple life."
~John Burroughs

Some of my rewards of the simple life...

Homegrown foods...
The gardens are coming along nicely! Above, in the greenhouse, we've got many things started and beginning to grow before we transplant them into the ground!

In the raised bed....lettuce, radishes, onions, carrots and sweet peas are growing! :) Chris has enjoyed some of the radishes and onions. *I* don't eat onions or radishes...so I just take his word for it, that they are yummy...and they *do* smell quite wonderful while I am weeding around them. (Oh how weeding is a not-fun necessity!)

Madelyn wanted me to take a picture of this "really big radish" that she found growing. It's like two-in-one! :)

Picnics in the field...
Picnics with family and friends are always such a nice time! Good food and conversation are always enjoyable!

Sweet Christopher making the ribs...

Horseback riding & Playing...
My mom brought out her pony, Jasper, for the kids to take turns riding! Xavier has been taking riding lessons...doesn't he look great? :)

The children had fun playing with their cousins and a friend...

They had fun running through the fields...they almost disappeared in the weeds!

More rewards we enjoy...

Walks on dirt roads and in the woods
Freshly baked bread with butter
The smell of laundry after hanging on the clothesline
Canning food and enjoying it in the winter
Nice, cold ice water after a day out in the sun
Fresh eggs from the chickens
Watching the children ride their bikes
Reading good books by lamp-light
Chasing a runaway sheep (**ok...I didn't really *enjoy* that..but it's a memory we can now laugh at! ;)
Cooking from scratch for my family
Putting on my apron...and watching my daughter do the same
Planting and decorating outside my home with flowers
Enjoying candlelight around my home
Handwashing dishes using Mrs Meyer's dishsoap
Making (and eating) homemade noodles
Seeing something I have knitted be put to good use
...and many, many more! :)

You know what is great about the simple life? It is not about *where* you live...it's about the way you choose to live! :) Of course, if you live in the city or right in town, getting out into fields, horseback riding, and walks on dirt roads may not be something you can enjoy often...however, cooking from scratch, canning, baking bread, growing food (even in a small garden), lighting candles....are all possibilities! Wherever you are right now...no matter what your circumstances...you can live simply! :) Although living *simply* usually means more *work*...it can be enjoyable if you realize you are doing it *for* your family.

I hope you are enjoying your week. We've been staying busy! After a beautiful day yesterday, today we are getting lots of rain. The plants will enjoy the drink...but my children are itching to play outside. We will have to keep busy indoors! Normally, today is my grocery day...but it's so yucky out, I may push shopping day to another day! Thank you for visiting!

Smiles,
Katy :)



The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

18 comments:

  1. I think so many of us get caught up in the 'other stuff' and we forget to look for the blessings in our lives.

    So much has changed in our lives recently. We can feel God working on us daily. Some lessons are harder then others to learn.


    Katy, thank you. Your light inspires me, to be a better Christian, wife and mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How refreshing Katy. Sometimes we forget to stop and reflect on the simple things in life that make us happy or make us who we are. Thanks for reminding me. What a fabulous garden you have. Hubby and I try each year to put a small one in but I think the rabbits and deer feast on it more than we get to.
    Hugs,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rewards of the simple life are such a blessing! When life gets hectic it is a great reminder of why I choose to live the simple life.

    We are getting the rain also. A great day to snuggle up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the wondeful small blessings of the everyday! I just refinished my boys dresser and I love it! The process was tough with them throwing a ball around while I painted, but the end result is lovely! Yes the simple things are some of the best! Thanks for the wonderful post! And yes it is raining like cats and dogs here in Western PA! Oh well! The plants can use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything that is simple and satisfying--going for a walk, smelling a rose, making a quilt, singing at the top of my lungs, dancing in the living room with the love of my life, eating popcorn---not from the microwave, eating dinner most nights made from scratch and just reading a good book--thanks for the reminder of the simple things that I enjoy and sometimes take for granted. I am for sure a country girl who lives in the city, and still trying to have a country way of life :)!! Have a great day. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple blessings are the best for sure, and WOW, that is a big radish!!! Enjoy your day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful Katy! Simple is good! God gives us all that we need... and sometimes when 'things' are taken away.. we truly realize what we really NEED.. ☺ Many blessings. I am glad your blog is still up and going. You truly are a light in this world... its ok to hear nice things about oneself.. but we must continuly look to God for our provision, our recharing and our direction ~ always.. and it really does seem you and your family are dedicated to Christ. Beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your veggies are so big and mouth watering. I seem to have better luck with flowers but I have not given up on veggies. Planted peas, peppers, toms, mint, & other herbs. You make homemade bread alot. Makes my mouth water reading about it. Do you share your recipe? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures. I so enjoy the same things. I think one more thing I would add to my list would be: raising my windows and watching my curtains blow in the breeze. Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    You just put that so beautifully. We need to be reminded to enjoy the simple things more.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely pics, its so nice to see all the beautiful land..
    your garden is coming along nicely..
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy,
    I always love your posts but this one is particularly meaningful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel refreshed just reading your post!!!

    I love so many things in my *simple* life too.

    Thanks for sharing yours!!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks much for visiting my blog and leaving me the great information. Looking forward to trying when I pick up every thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you were talking about me in the second to last paragraph. :)
    I do love to read about your sweet simplicities!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for posting about the wonderful things in life. I truly love to read about the simple things that bring a smile to everyone face.

    Thanks so much!

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being the mother of 3 little boys that are now grown your blog pictures bring back such lovely memories. Enjoy them because before you know it they will be bringing home wives instead of frogs and little treaasures. Blessings : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Katy your posts on this subject really stir something in me. I love that you mentioned some ides how one can live simply in the city...which is where I live.
    How beautifully the sun is shining today. My children are all outside and here I sit reading what's left to read of your archives and listening to the beautiful music on your blog. I think I may take a break and join my sweet kids out there before dark settles in and we'll be indoors to celebrate new years! Happy new year to you!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy