Sunday, June 20, 2010

We keep moving forward,

...opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting.
~Walt Disney

Saturday evening, Big Boss and I went to my 11 year class reunion! We had such a nice time. It was wonderful to see old friends...many of whom have moved many miles away! There was a lot of hugging...and I almost started to cry a few times (but didn't!). :) We were at a place that catered for us and there was some music, as well. We reminisced, laughed, talked about our children and present lives, ate, took pictures and laughed some more. :)

We were up on a cabana at the top of a hill. It was so pretty. There was a place you could walk out and look at the magnificent view, as well! The top picture and the one directly below are a couple of the pictures I took of our view! :) It was a lovely time and I look forward to doing it again in a few years! :)


Back in May, I posted about how I was preparing for our homeschooling year...HERE. I had everything organized by subject for both of my older two children...in a couple filing cabinets that we have. :) Then I had a couple portable filing units that I had my Bible files in (I explained that a little HERE.

Well, call me *crazy* (because I think I really am ;) but during rest time this afternoon...my mind was thinking and I came up with an even better idea to get it all organized!!! So, as the children slept in the nice, cool temperatures of my bedroom...I went downstairs to get to work!

First, I took the Bible Files out of the portable units and put them in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet....

That freed up the two portable filing units I have. So I deemed one for Madelyn and one for Xavier. Pencils and erasers are kept in the top (extras for if we need them). Now we can do schooling in the schoolroom....or take our stuff, easily and efficiently, to the library or outside...or anywhere we want to go to do our work. :)

Inside Madelyn's we have the first workbooks to each subject that she will need as well as the text books...

The same goes for the inside of X's box....

With the Christian Light Education program, it's all in workbook format...(no loose papers...YAY!). Each subject has between 5-10 workbooks each. The extra workbooks for each of the children, are neatly ordered and kept in the filing cabinets in the schoolroom. :) **Similar to what I did with the Bible File...but instead of saying Genesis, Exodus etc....they have subjects on the tabs! :) As one workbook is finished...it will go back in the filing cabinet and the next workbook in the sequence will replace it in the child's box! :)

Then, in a cupboard behind my desk I have, on the top shelf, X's teacher guides, answers keys and binder (where I will journal daily of his accomplishments). On the bottom shelf is Madelyn's lesson teacher guides and answer keys and binder. :)

I am sure it seems as though I change my organization techniques a lot. However, when I get a more efficient idea in my head...I have to go with it! :) I am hoping this idea works well for us...I think it will! Eek...I'm so excited! :)

Well...off I should go. Thanks, so much, for stopping by. **Any of you homeschooling mamas....if you end up using the idea I described above (or already do)...let me know! I would love to know how it works for you! :)

Soon, Lord willing, I will post about a VW bug cruise the littles got to go on this weekend...oh and about the newest book I am now reading, too! :)
Hope all the dads out there are having a wonderful father's day! :)

Joyfully,
Katy :)

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

7 comments:

  1. That looks like a great way to organize things. How fun to be able to grab their file boxes and head outside for school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy, what a good idea for the kids schooling. I use that type of container for my bill paying that way I grab and go wherever I want to pay the bills. I keep my fill folder of things to be paid each pay day in mine and my binder in which I keep all my paid bill stubs. I really like it this way. Smart way to do it for schooling. I might do something like this with my sons art stuff that way if he wants to go outside he can or on the road in the car.

    Your reunion sounds so nice. My 30 yr reunion is coming up the end of July and I have so many mixed feelings about it but we shall see.

    Hope you have a very blessed week.

    Anne F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. Sounds like you had a lovely reunion. I have never went to one of my class reunions. Don't care for huge crowds, ect.

    Sounds like a very good way to organize the homeschooling info. Everything is within hands reach when you need it and there is no searching for anything. I love the idea of grabbing and going outside or to the library.

    Gotta tell you also, hubby, the kids and I went on a long drive after church yesterday and we found a huge berry patch.....so we picked blackberries and wild strawberries. I'm making 2 turns of blackberry jam this evening and I'm sad to say.....the wild strawberries didn't make it home for jam.....THEY WERE DELICIOUS! LOL!

    Have a great day!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful way to plan for school. Taking lessons outside of the school room will make learning so much more fun for your children. I did school on the run and in places other than at home for as long as I was able. I worked full time and cared for my 3 children myself after work. I remember what it took to prepare and plan lessons. I wish I would have had another mother like you to share and receive help from. You have so many wonderful ideas and keep improving on them. Keep up the good work. A childs loving mother is the best teacher a child can have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see more of your organization techniques you do in your house!

    Nice to hear you had a good time at your reunion!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your reunion was in a beautiful place. Glad you had such fun. I looooove the idea for the school boxes! I carried denium bags last year for getting out doors and I am loving this idea. I like the file holder and books fitting inside and then the pencil holder ontop! grab and go! I have looked for the file box but still not found it. Going to look today while I am out. I am ordering the reading from CLP and super excited about it. I loved it all. But already have some other curriculium I have chosen as well. I pray to get organized and plan our lessons and things for the year 2010-2011. Hugs, Angelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Making things nice and tidy bring me just as much joy as it does you. :) I like reorganizing things I think were fine before just want something 'fresh'

    Glad you had a nice visit with some old friends.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy