Friday, June 11, 2010

A Busy, Cheerful Day in June!

Hello! I hope you have been enjoying your week! :) After lots of rain..we are enjoying some sunshine and comfortable temps...it's wonderful! I have lots I want to share with you today...first being the next *installment* to the afghan I am knitting for my sister and her husband. :) I am just finishing up the border of the square! (pic above)

I needed a little break from the afghan...so I began knitting a Ball Band Dishcloth. It's the first time I have ever knitted one, and it's a quick and easy knit and looks really neat! :) (pic below)

The newest place for my dishcloths...a nice sized basket I found at Goodwill for very inexpensive! (Notice that picture to the right, hanging on the fridge? That's my Jaxson...when he was 6 months old!)

A few treasures I found at a local store (one of my *favorite places* ~ Hi Laurie!)...

Clothes hung on the line...soaking in the sunshine! :)

The littles had fun playing outside, enjoying the breeze and the sun!...





Waiting for Big Boss to get home from work...


After Chris got home from work and supper was finished...we all headed out to meet my mother-in-love at the *big* garden...


We all worked together hoeing between the rows of beans, corn, popcorn and parsnips...

Although I am the *picture taker*...I stayed busy too! I smiled at the thought of how many calories I was burning while hoeing between rows! ;)

Chris has a bad left shoulder (old football injury) and it has been hurting him a lot lately...so he started to use the "row maker thingy" (I am not sure of what it is *really* called!). His mom tried helping him...then I did. Oh my goodness...I was a sight! A pink skirt and sneakers...pushing this row maker thingy...hunched over and walking... I probably looked like a football player in a skirt! It is a lot harder than it looks!!! ;)

We started planting our potatoes last evening...we did one row the "homestead blessings" way...


I was the *potato-cover-upper*....

Then we planted a couple more rows...but the *regular* way...just in case the first way didn't work. (Notice it was getting dark....)

Then we started putting posts with the tomatoes, for them to grow up. Chris and his mom hammered in the posts, while I tied the plants to them.

I am thrilled to report that one of my tomato plants is already making some tomatoes! I can't wait to make and can some spaghetti and pizza sauces!!!

We finished up in the garden, around 9:30. We were all exhausted! My mother-in-love is amazing..she probably could have kept on gardening. She just *loves* it!

We had a full and enjoyable day! Sure, the kids squabbled at times and such...each day is full of challenges...but we just take them one at a time and handle them. Some things we need to just lay at His feet...those daily imperfections we can't control. Some of them, we need to use His strength to help us deal with them.
I read this scripture, yesterday, that encouraged me greatly...

We proclaim Him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all His energy, which so powerfully works in me.
~Colossians 1:28-29

This spoke directly to my heart, as a mother.We desire for our children to grow up and be Godly adults. We want them to be saved. We strive to teach our children how to live and love like Christ.
It's *not* an easy task...at least for me. I struggle with selfishness and impatience, at times. Our children can reflect that about us...(ack!) But daily...I work(labor)...trying to be the mother I am to be for my children. But I have Jesus in my heart. The Holy Spirit dwells within me. I *am* His child. That means that He (His energy) works in me! When I feel like I am weary and frustrated...He is there. He is my source of peace and rest. He renews me, daily. When my energy wears out...His is there! I am so *imperfect*...but know that *good* is in me...because He is in me! I try to focus more on letting His goodness come through me and less of self! :)

I post this...because I know, that it is all to easy for people to read a blog and assume that people are perfect or have life *perfect*. Any good in me, comes from Him. :) My family isn't perfect and I hope I don't give a false allusion on my blog, that we are.

Thanks so much for visiting. I know this was quite a long post...but there was just so much to tell about our day! I hope your weekend is wonderful...whether rain or shine! Also...if you haven't yet...please go enter my Rachael Ray Bakeware Giveaway! :)

Joyfully,
Katy :)


The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

19 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were out there working in a skirt... LOL! I'd have the heebie jeebies that bugs were on my legs while being in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very busy and productive day!

    Thanks for sharing. I loved your comments at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a BIG garden, and what a neat way of planting potatoes! Enjoy your day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy seeing all the things you knit. I am determined that I am going to lean how this year. I will be taking it with me on vaction.

    When it is time to make spaghetti and pizza sauce I hope you will share your recipe. I tried several recipes for pizza sauce last year but I couldn't get to taste the way I wanted.

    Have a great weekend and enjoy your pleasant weather. The heat and humidity has returned to central Indiana. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice pictures! What wonderful family filled time! We have a very large garden as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy reading your blog! Thank you for reminding me that I am never alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such lovely country activities! You are right...one situation at a time letting God work in me (changing me) and work through me(mothering my children and being a good example.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures of knitting. I love to see other crafters progress. You do a beautiful job! I also love to see the pictures of the garden also. We have a huge garden too and I always can, can, can anything that I can get my hands on. I would love to exchange canning recipes with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so envious of your whole family approach to everything. It is something to be proud of. Interesting way to plant potatoes. We put ours in old tires this year. Of course there are only 2 of us so we didn't plant so many but it will be interesting, as well. No digging--you just turn the tire over.
    Good luck with the whole garden. I know you love to can, like me!
    ★Linda ★

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a huge garden! I can't believe you only taught yourself to knit a short time ago and your already making a afhgan! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being real is what it's all about. Perfection will only be achieved in Heaven through Jesus Christ's atonement for our sins.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what wonderful pictures of your progress, fun, and work in all areas. It's delightful to see bits and pieces of people's lives and all that they enjoy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog is uplifting for me & I am so glad you continue. I just love how you call those dear kids the littles. Thats just so sweet. I got bread pans today and will soon try making some bread. The potatoe planting with paper & straw. Do you cover with dirt?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely day. Especially the gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looked like a fun day! I'm curious about the potato covers . . . are the potatoes under the paper? I live in Idaho, potato country, and I would love to know new ways to get my spuds to grow!

    I love the scripture - we are all imperfect, but can be made perfect in Christ. What a wonderful thought! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Have a very blessed week-end.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was so good for me to get back to seeing your wonderful family. You all put in a lot of hard work, but that produce is going to be wonderful. Before you know it, we will be watching you store all this away for the winter. Listen, I know that it is not always easy to be calm and patient. You have your faith and the Lord on your side.
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. ilove the latest square for your sister's ghan, its lovely..wonder if i can do that one..lol..
    your kids are so adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful post. Especially the very end. I enjoyed all your great photos, and that is such a nice garden. Many Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...sounds like you had a great day! I love the knitting! I'm addicted to dishcloths and would love to try the pattern you are doing. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy