Monday, June 7, 2010

Seeking a Heart of Peace

When I was little...I was deathly afraid of storms...*tornadoes* to be more specific. I was not little as in "toddler" age....rather, I was in grade school. Everytime the wind blew, I would panic. I am not sure what caused it...but I lived in fear constantly. I had certain trees I would gauge my reaction on. I would watch them, even on gorgeous days with blue skies, and if they blew a little too much in the wind...I would go sit in the basement of our home. Now, you must understand the condition of our basement, at the time, to grasp my level of desperation. It was a very dark, scary basement, that flooded when it rained too much, and had lots and lots of spiders and bugs and the sort!

I don't know *why* I was so petrified...I hadn't been *through* a tornado, that I remember. I'm not even sure how I got past it. Maybe with age and maturity? But gosh...the things fear can do to you! I would go sit down in that damp, dark, dirty, bug-infested basement out of fear. It was embarrassing...especially considering I am the *older* sister...and my sister *wasn't* afraid. But my fear overtook my feelings of embarrassment...and I would sit in that basement for quite a while!

Often, it seems, we can live in fear. **Fear of things that probably won't even happen!** I don't live in Tornado Alley...so my fears of tornadoes were a bit extreme. I can think back now, and realize how terribly ridiculous it was...but at the *time*, I was seriously overwhelmed with horrible fear.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Matthew 6:27

How easy it is to live afraid. A life of fear and worry can steal our joy and is *not* what God wants from us. We need to remember that He is always in control. He always has been and always will be. He *is* the Alpha & Omega. When we live with fear and worry in our hearts...it means we are not trusting the One who made us. He knows what we need and what is best for us.

I am learning to rest in Him...in His peace. There are many times I have to remind myself to "Relax, trust and rest". It doesn't always come naturally...if something goes wrong or I am uncertain about the future...my heart can start to race and my mind becomes a whirlwind of thoughts and fears. That moment...I take a step back and ask myself if I am truly trusting God with the situation. If I am...I have *no* reason to fear...for He has always promised to never leave His children! If I am not trusting Him...I need to ask myself, "What is too big for God?". The One who made the planets and the stars, the seasons and the weather, the earth and the moon. The One who made *me*, delicately knitted me together in my mother's womb. Is there anything He can't handle? We both know the answer to this. :)

...because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."

Hebrews 13:5b

All that the Father gives me will come to me,
and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

John 6:37

***Trust and Obey...for there's no other way...to be happy in Jesus...but to Trust and Obey!***

I had no intentions of writing this today. None at all. It just kind of started...and I continued. If you are living in fear or worry today...please know that He is speaking to you. He loves you immensely. God is Love. His love is the only perfect love...He demonstrated this by sending His Son to die for us. If He loves us *this* much...we know we can put all our trust and faith in Him because He is good and just and perfect. :) Remember to keep seeking Him, trusting Him and He will take care of the rest! May His peace fill your heart, body and soul.

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness,
and all these things will be added unto you as well.

Matthew 6:33

*Hallelu-Hallelujah!*


Before I go, as it is after 10:30pm and wayyy past my bedtime, I just wanted to share a couple things with you! :)

I found these new curtains at a sweet Bed & Breakfast/Store I went to the other day. They were having a "Spring into Summer" Sale...and I got this set for $8! I thought that was fantastic...and I decided to put them into Madelyn's room...


**And...although I have disabled comments in the last few posts...I truly miss your kind words you all share. Although, I *have* been blessed with numerous, wonderful emails! I can't thank you, each, enough for the beautiful notes you each have sent me. They encouraged me greatly! So while you are absolutely welcome to email me at any time, as I love to hear from you, I am going to open up the comments once again. I *think* that finding joy in them is an *OK* thing. If He is using me to share His love...then I *must* be on the right path! :)

Oh.....and since I believe the cat-has-been-out-of-the-bag long enough to go ahead and share it on here...you should *really* go over and visit my sister and read the bottom of THIS post! You'll be glad you did!!! ;) My cup runneth over...abundantly!

Thank you, again, so much for visiting. I have made some truly amazing friends around the world. I love that despite the miles that seperate us...we could all meet via this amazing tool called the 'net! :)

'til next time,
Katy :)


The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

15 comments:

  1. Hi Katy!

    We just got home from a long vacation, and I'm just catching up on posts here. I'm so glad you decided to continue blogging!! The joy and love of Christ radiates here and has blessed me, so thank you for seeking out His Will regarding the future of your little internet home here. I have often been in prayer over the same matter and just blog when I feel led.

    Oh, and one more quick thing...Congratulations to your sister (and to you the auntie!)... Also, I couldn't help but notice the resemblance between your husband and hers....neat!!

    Ok, thanks again for your online friendship and sisterhood in Christ!

    Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you have decided to keep blogging, I would have missed you so much. I have let my blog go by the way side... I spend to much time on FB...HAHA. I have been through tornados and hurricains, so not fun!! I'm glad you out grew your fear. I look forward to your next post! have a great day!!
    oh CONGRATULATIONS, on being a aunt in the making!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad you kept your blog up. I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIPPEE! I am glad your comments are back open. love the curtains...also love the message. I too am trying to not fear any longer. It also does not come naturally for me. It is a journey though and I know that I am progressing. Thanks for continuing to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you back, and don't worry about storms too much, as long as were at peace with our Lord, we will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you have opened up comments again. It is nice to be able to stop by and chat.

    Congrats Aunt Katy! I can only imagine how excited your family is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy, I don't always comment, but I do read your blog. I am so glad to hear you are going to keep posting! I think God definitely works through you bc you inspire me every time I read your blog! I often find that the verse you include is one that I needed to hear that day! Good for you!! And good for me, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy~ You don't know how much I needed this post today, THANK YOU! I'm sure I will come back and re-read it many times and I just recently started following Nen's blog and I am SO happy for them, what a blessing:)Enjoy your day sweetie and thanks again for all you share with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking the time to be used by God and posting these words of encouragement. For the past 3 weeks I have been going threw alot that has caused so much fear & doubt. Congrats to your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats all around!! How incredibly special!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very glad you are able to continue blogging! I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katy,
    I am so thrilled that decided to keep blogging. Your scriptures and devotions help me every time I read them. Thanks!

    Congratulations to your sister, her hubby and yourself.....Aunt Katy! God has blessed again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!

    Hugs,
    Amy <><

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy, this is a wonderful devotion; and I so appreciate it. There are difficult times in all our lives, and we need to simply trust our Father. I know - easier said than done sometimes. What a wonderful reminder; you've said it well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I was going to leave a comment on Sunday, but the comments weren't showing. Posted about your blog on mine on my Monday post :)
    LOVE your blog!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy