Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Games, Busyness & Canning!

Thank you for the kind emails of concern since I haven't posted in a few days. Some days....things just get busy and other priorities trump the blog. However, yesterday was an emotional day...I don't want to go into too much detail, as I don't know how much my mother would want her health splashed across the 'net...but I *will* say that a strange migraine and horrible blood pressure issues persuaded us to take my mom to the ER. I thank God that he layed that on our hearts and that my mom, although reluctantly, agreed to go...for when we got there we found that she was close to possibly having a stroke. It was so scary...my eyes fill up with tears at the thought of losing my mother. We are so close and I couldn't imagine living my life without her in it. I know my dad would just crumble, he loves her so. She is a constant in all of our lives...full of love, encouragement, support, help, and faith. I am so thankful for her! Now we wait while the doctors help her to get her meds to keep her blood pressure at healthy numbers.

In addition to all that I mentioned above, our days have been full and busy. Dishes, sweeping, dusting, washing and hanging out laundry and other housework keeps me busy each day...as well as knitting I am doing, playing games with the children, weeding at the garden (although with the days of heat, I wasn't very good at keeping up with it), quiet times with God and scripture memorization with my children... and now...some of the green and yellow beans, from the garden, are ready! Time to start canning!

Playing Go Fish with my children...



I finished the dishcloth I had mentioned in THIS post and gave it to my friend, who warmed my heart as she lovingly accepted it with joy! Some people don't really appreciate receiving a homemade gift...it's always so wonderful when the recipient is a homemade-things-lover. I was *so* pleased to find out my friend was one of those recipients! :)

Now that some of the days have been a bit cooler (not in the 90's like before)...I enjoy sitting in the living room working on my knitting and having lit candles in view. I love the look and *smell* of candles. :)

After taking the children to our church, last night, for VBS Sports Camp...Chris and I got out in the garden. We weeded and picked some green and yellow beans that were ready. Not all of them were ready yet...but we picked what we could.

So we got home and while I washed and boiled jars...Chris sat and snapped the beans...(Isn't he so sweet? ;)...

I washed up the beans, filled up the jars with them (and some salt and hot water). Sealed them up and into the canner they went! :)

Out of the beans we got picked, we only got 4 quarts canned. I am thankful for those quarts and look forward to doing more, soon!

I have been canning for 3 years, or so, now. Each year, I would get nervous about canning...afraid I would forget how to do something correctly. This year though, I *knew* what I was doing and was comfortable with it. :) If you are a beginner canner and it seems like a stressful process...just keep with it. It *will* become an easier process for you after some practice! :) If you aren't a canner...and would like to start...I recommend you get and watch The Art of Canning from Homestead Blessings. I am a visual learner, myself, and I think this instructional video is a valuable thing for beginners.

Well, time is slipping by me, ever so quickly and although we got the housework mostly done already, this morning, I have a few more things to accomplish plus would like to go see my mom. My sister also celebrated her birthday yesterday! If you have a moment, I know she would love you to visit her BLOG and say hello! :)

Thank you for visiting and I hope you have a lovely Wednesday!
Warmly,
Katy

**The verse my children and I are memorizing together this week:
"I will sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me." ~Psalm 13:6

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

21 comments:

  1. I will keep your beautiful mom in my prayers!!! *hugs*

    Beans look quite tasty!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray God will touch yor mom Katy, I know how you feel about your mom, it is a very hard thing to see your parents getting older and start to get health problems, I thank God your mom went to the ER. God Bless you all!~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy! I am sure glad that you got your mom to the doctor in time. All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I miss my mom--she died 3 years ago. She also was my great support and love. There are times that I really want her back but she was 93 and had cancer. I sure don't want her back to suffer. Love your cloth of hearts--that is sweet! I just don't know how you do all you do!
    Love ya!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your sister and will keep your Mom in our prayers. The beans look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom is in my prayers!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad you took your mom to the ER! I have been thinking about you. thankGod you caught that in time.:)
    Looks like you have your hands full these days like me. Well pray for eachother! Looks like the kids and your husband are great helps!
    Have a very blessed day. Keep resting in Him.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping your Mom and family in my thoughts and prayers, so glad she went to the ER! The beans look great, we have practically been living on beans and zucchini lately:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry about your mom. Very scary! Just remember that through the good and bad God has a plan.

    I gotten any beans yet, but am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad your mom got the help she needed..I will be praying for her and you..
    we've been canning too...water bath anyway..lots of tomatoes and peaches so far...my blog posts have been full of canning..aaaah....but a blessing just the same

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry to hear about your mom. We had a close experience like that and it sure put things into perspective. I will pray that she heals and that the medicine works great.

    Don't you just love those Homestead Blesings girls??!! I have everyone of their DVD's and I love to watch them over and over. I make their soap recipe and love it! In fact, I am having a giveaway with one of their recipe bars of soap. Stop on over for a chance to win.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy, I will keep your mom with my thoughts and prayers. My mom also holds a special place in my heart too.

    Your kitchen clothe is beautiful. I love the colors.

    Tomorrow starts my canning with applesauce and then green beans are to follow. This begins the busy time of the summer.

    Take care and God bless!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your beans look yummy! My youngest wants to add green beans to our planting next year. I am hopeful to do so. I will join with you and others to lift your dear Mom up in prayer for her complete recovery & healing. May the Lord comfort and strength you too Katy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will continue to keep your Mom in my prayers everyday. I hope today is a good day for her.

    Those beans look delicious! I used to love to can. It was so satisfying in the end.

    Take care, Katy........

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  14. hope your mom is ok, very scarry situation..prayers for her..
    love the heart cloth, so pretty..
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katy,
    So sorry about your mom's scare. Praise the Lord she didn't have a stroke! We have been playing UNO about 3 days here--it seems we are on a card game kick here as well. Love to hear about your days. The beans look good! Have you ever canned okra? We have it every 2 days, I cut and freeze. I have only canned tomatoes and put up jam this year. The rest has gone in the freezer. It's getting mighty full tho! :)

    Lots of love
    Natural Mama (Monica)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terribly sorry to hear about your Mom's health issues. Hope she's feeling 100% soon. Happy belated birthday to your Devon.

    Those beans look wonderful!

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. will pray for you Mom...
    So glad for the canning. I am looking forward to getting my beans put up too.
    I enjoyed the pictures of your children playing cards.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be praying for your mom, so glad things were caught in time. The dishcloth turned out perfect!
    Blessings,Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katy, this is my first visit here (I think). Your blog is lovely and I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I think the older we get, the more special our parents become. Mine are nearing 80 and have been together for well over 50 years.
    Your children are just precious! And I love that you hang out clothes and can green beans! Reminds me of when I was a child watching and helping my Mom do the same.
    I have signed up to be a follower, as I think I can learn and be inspired by you....even if I am almost twice your age. LOL! Look forward to reading your posts.
    Hugs and Blessings,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to meet you.

    I'm sending prayers for your mother's good health.

    Your canning looks fabulous. Isn't it wonderful to open the car up down the road and enjoy your hard work :-)

    Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
  21. Katy,
    So sorry to hear that about your Mom! I will keep her in my prayers. I remember how scared I was when my Mom had triple bypass surgery. You and your family will be in my prayers as well! Many Blessings to you!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy