Monday, July 5, 2010

To make a cozy home...

...decorate with things you love!

Home, the spot of earth supremely blest,
A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest.
~Robert Montgomery

There is a store, in our little town, that I love. It has wonderful items....always something different. They get an assortment of antiques and old things....and everything is at such wonderful prices! Everytime I go in, I think, I make a purchase! Eek! I need to *not* go in there...but oh how difficult that is! You would love it too...if you saw it. :)

One day, last week, I was in and found this beautiful wicker light for sale...for $5!! The schoolroom has no overhead lights...just lamps that I have put in there. Now, I am a huge fan of lamps as the light in a room...I think it is soft and pretty...however, in the schoolroom, it would be nice to have a little *more* light than just the lamps. For $5 ~ I think I found my solution!

It works wonderfully and we like it a lot. In the picture above it looks like it is leaning...but it doesn't look that way in real life...at least not that I have noticed! ;)


Annnd...those of you who have been visiting my blog for quite a while, will know that my kitchen and the adjoining room to it, was decorated in some not-so-lovely wallpaper. I have worked at scraping it off...but haven't decided what, exactly, I want to do with the walls yet...so for now, they are just *ugly*.

Well....at the *same* trip into the store I mentioned, above, I found this fantastic ladder. My aunt had suggested to me, once, that I should get a ladder to hang in my kitchen in a space above a doorway...and I could hang some of my baskets from it. When I saw the ladder, at a price I could afford, I was thrilled! :) So..home it came with me and my Christopher helped me to hang it! Then we hung a few of my baskets from it!

It's amazing how simple, little things can make your home feel so much warmer and inviting. Of course, you don't have to have *things* for it to feel that way...truly, it's from the love that abides within that makes a home warm and cozy. *But* adding some *love* to the walls, with items you love, can help too! ;)

I hope you all enjoyed your Independence Day yesterday! Since it is "observed" today...we will be busy with a local, little parade that my children are in (they love to throw the candy!)...as well as a picnic with family and friends. :) It should be a nice day (although I think it is suppose to be super-hot).

Thank you for stopping by! :)
Cheerfully,
Katy

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

6 comments:

  1. Hope you have a fun and safe day with family and friends. My husband has to work today so I will just be spending a quiet day at home working on a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the ladder... what a a great idea. And one can never have too much light!!! Our house doesn't have ceiling lights in the bedrooms and it drives me crazy at night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hanging light looks wonderful in your schoolroom and I love the ladder too!!!! Take care being out in the heat today, supposed to be a HOT one here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy,
    I just love going into those kinds of stores. We have several in our local town that I love to visit.

    Nice find with the light. It looks really nice hanging. I also love the ladder. I would love to find one for myself too. I am a lover of baskets and I think that it's a nice way to bring them into the home.

    Hope that you have a nice day with friends and family. It has been a hot one here this weekend too.

    Take care,
    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you had a blessed day with your family..
    love all the little treasures you find, so pretty..
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your new goodies are great. It is always so fun to get things we like at really good buys. I like to believe when that happens it was ment to be. The light looks great in your school room and I like that cross you have in the upper right corner of school room photo.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy