Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Gettin' Hay & Parade Fun!

The other evening, my mom needed to get hay for her horses. So, I offered to help her out. Chris had to help his dad with something...so the kids came with me.

Mom and I loaded 56 bales of hay by ourselves....which isn't a ton, but all that she could fit on the back of her truck.

And yes...I did this all in a skirt! ;) I used to be one of the people who said "Skirts are so restricting...you can't do real *work* with one on"....oh, how untrue this is. I threw on my sneakers and gloves and was up on top of a hay wagon, putting bales of hay onto the truck bed, which my mom then stacked. I don't think women *have* to wear skirts...but I just enjoy it. I feel feminine in them. :)


X really wanted to help...I let him know that someday, when he was a little bigger, he would be helping *a lot* with this kind of stuff! ;)


Chris showed up just as we finished loading the truck bed. He had finished helping his dad and came to give us a hand. He helped mom secure the hay on the bed and then we all drove out to my mom's to unload it all!

Jasper, Coby and Willy...my mom's horses...enjoying some of that hay! ;) ......

Washing up...

Afterwards, mom and dad treated us to supper as a thank you. It was late and none of us had eaten yet. :) We were all exhausted and ready for bed that evening! It always is such a feel-good-exhaustion after working hard and helping those you love! :)

***
Since the 4th of July was on a Sunday, this year, a local little parade was held on Monday, the 5th. My dad takes my mom's truck through (the same one we had gotten the hay on), then behind him is one of his employees who races cars and is sponsored by my dad and aunt. Then, behind the race car is my aunt and uncle's bright yellow jeep/push vehicle. They are the *push truck* at the races when a car goes off course and needs a push! ;)


My kids got to ride through in the parade and throw candy....


Usually, my children ride through the parade with Chris's side of the family who has taken their horses and buggies throuth the parade, every year, for 51 years! :)

The kids missed riding through with Chris's family...but also enjoyed riding through with my family! :) It was a nice parade...but super hot out. We went to a picnic at the pavillion afterwards (I took rice krispie treats and devilled eggs...yum!). After visiting with family and eating...everyone went swimming...except me. I don't do well with the heat and am not much for swimming...so I came home into my bedroom AC and layed down. :)

I am not a fan of this heat. I got done most of my housework done this morning, before 9. I was up early and got busy doing and hanging out laundry, making Chris's lunch, doing dishes, feeding and watering animals etc. I wanted to get it done early. During the hottest parts of the day, the children and I will spend time trying to stay cool in the AC. I will read, knit, and spend time with the kids and they will color, play cars, read and such. :)

Thanks for stopping to visit. I hope you are enjoying your day! :)
Kindly,
Katy :)


The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

8 comments:

  1. In Central Indiana we are experiencing the heat also. It is hotter here then it was while we were in South Carolina!

    I love the smell of fresh hay. It is one thing I always loved about my grandparents barn. Have a great day and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun parade!

    How hot is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy... the kids are getting so big. I have so much enjoyed getting to know you, watching the kids grow. I get so much inspiration from you, and your blog. God's light shine thru you! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do everything in skirts, too comfy not too! Keep cool over there, I feel for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be very strong to pick up those huge hay bales. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice parade. So nice all your family is so close. It has been so hot here and I to am not a fan of it. I would love to try more bread making but we have no air at all so turning the oven on is just not going to happen til it cools down. I sure hope very soon. I think your skirts would be cooler than jeans for sure. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes this heat is absolutely crazy! Last week was so beautiful! I guess you just take it in stride!! I feel feminine in skirts as well. Though I only wear them on Sunday to church!! The parade looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in WV, it is hot and humid also. Highs hit the upper 90s yesterday with the same for today. I am truly thankful for our air conditioning! LOL!

    Looks like everyone had fun during the parade. My twins have been working in the hay field some this summer and it's a hot and tiring job, but well worth it when you see the new baby animals and momma's enjoying your harvest.

    Stay cool!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy