Friday, July 13, 2012

My Heart Hurts....In a Good Way!


When you celebrate the birthday of one of your children, it's quite bittersweet. Watching them grow and mature is an absolute blessing...but no matter how much you try, you can't slow time down. Each season of life passes much too quickly, in my opinion.

My Madelyn, my daughter, is such a treasure. She is now eleven and I can hardly fathom how this can possibly be. In some ways, I feel like she was this little just a short time ago...but in other ways, I feel the opposite! My heart aches as I realize my little girl is growing up...but yet, it's a wonderful feeling to know I have been blessed (undeservedly so) to have this beautiful person in my life for these past eleven years.


She was (and might I add ~ still is) such a character! She can light up a room when she walks in...she truly has that glow about her. Although, I would often think of this quote when she would be a stinker:

There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Funny enough, she *did* have a curl that fell down right in the middle of her forehead! ;) And to be perfectly honest, she wasn't misbehaved terribly...just super busy! I think back now and remember it all fondly!

 I just love this photo of her...


A friend of ours has mini horses, goats (she's the friend we got Pearl and Polly from) and all kinds of other fun animals. Madelyn loved meeting all the animals when she was about two...


In the photo below, the picture to the left is Madelyn sitting in the rocking chair waiting to meet her brand-new brother, Xavier! To the bottom right, of this photo, you see my sister, Madelyn and then in the back is me, pregnant with Xavier (you can see my arm laying on my stomach)...


Madelyn, my curly-haired cutie-patootie, **loved** her brother (and still does, despite the fact that bickering occurs more now than it did back then!). Yep, I must admit, I love this photo too...


Madelyn "helping" daddy build the addition on our house...


She loved when she got the chance to talk on the phone to someone (her and those curls again...such curly hair she had. You know, people would actually ask me if I had her hair permed!? Who would perm a young child's hair? Definitely not this mama! Those curls were 100% natural and un-brushable, truly. If you brushed her hair, it would turn into a huge fro!)...


Our day will be a busy one. (Another reason I am glad I go to my spinning class so early in the morning... it's done and out of the way). We'll have a small birthday celebration with a few friends and family this evening...but during the day, my sister and Eloise are coming over to visit and swim and spend a good chunk of the day with us (Madelyn told me that was the *best* gift she could ever get!).


So, I am leaving you with a few photos of Madelyn when she was little. :)
She was the first grandchild on both sides (and for many, many years the *only* granddaughter on both sides of the family!). She has brought joy to so many and I look forward to seeing how God uses her, for His glory, as she grows. :)
Thank you for coming by to share in my joy! Have a great weekend!

Warmly,
Katy

18 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Madelyn!! I wish for a wonderful day for you and your family! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The years pass so quickly...my oldest is 23 now! Thankfully I still have young children and a granddaughter!

    A daughter is a blessing!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to stop in and tell Madelyn happy happy birthday and have a wonderful time today with family and friends..God bless and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Madelyn! She is such a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Madelyn, I hope that you have a wonderful time with your family today:0)
    My God Bless you all!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 11th birthday to Madelyn! She is such a sweet girl. It sounds like it will be a fun day for you all.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to a "VERY" special young Lady (Madelyn)
    May the Lord shower his grace upon you always!! Like others
    I have watch you grow so much through your Mom's awesome
    Blog... Have a wonderful Day...

    Many Blessings ...
    Ladybuy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, happy birthday to your daughter ! They grow up so fast. Our eldest has already left the nest and our daughter is 18. Enjoy these years !!!
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Madelyn....what a sweet young lady you are!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISH TO MADELYN! Love the very creative scrapbook you did of her younger years. My oldest is 26 now and wow has the time past.. mine are 14,15,18,23,24,26... I think god blesses us with grandchildren to lessen the pain of missing those younger years with our children. Enjoy this special day with your daughter.. the years to come will be exciting and just as much a blessing as the first 11 have been!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE her curls too! Please wish Madelyn a happy birthday from me! She was beautiful then and she's beautiful now. I know she's a true blessing! God WILL use her in a big way...I know it!

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday, Madelyn! :)

    God bless you!
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your fun day and tell your Madelyn Happy Birthday!!! I LoVE her curls!! My youngest daughter is 11 also! I love this age!! My oldest daughter is 18 and I do not know where the time has gone!!!! It goes by so so quickly!! I'm learning to enjoy each new 'stage' in life. Have a very special day!!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Madelyn! I hope you enjoy your special day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing all the sweet pictures of a special young lady. Happy Brithday Madelyn. I have adored your smile, all the years I have read your mom as blog. Your smile always lights up a room, I am sure! My daughter is 19 and will be twenty in January. I remember her being eleven like it was yesterday. I miss those years. I will try to treasure today. You are all blessed to be home together loving and living in Gods will for your lives. It is a joy to watch you grow up. Smiles, Angelia in Tx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A most Happy Birth Day Madelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyeux anniversaire à Madelyn de FRANCE

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry I didn't get a chance to check this yesterday! But HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADELYN! Glad we got to spend some time with you all! Hope the party was fun!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy