Monday, July 16, 2012

Random Bits


Hello! It's a warm, sunshiny day here today. The morning started out (in the wee hours) with some pretty bad storms, which didn't bother me but I remembered my laptop was plugged in when I awoke around 3:30am. So I went to unplug it (so as not to get hit by lightning) and I realized I was officially "awake" for the day...so I started my day super early.

I went to spin class (where I found out I have now lost a total of 15.5 lbs!) and then came back to start the day with my family. Luckily, the storm moved off and the sun came out so I was able to get a couple loads of laundry out on the lines to soak in that warm sun!

As I type, the house is so quiet. All I hear are the birds singing through the door and windows I have opened to let the evening breeze in. The children have gone to spend the evening (and overnight) with my parents (as they are going to help my mom with some things around her house tomorrow). Chris is working late but will be home soon. :) The goats are outside munching away at the lawn and soon, I need to make some supper (my stomach is quite hungry!).

I just have a few random photos and bits to share today...and if you haven't yet, please go check out my post on the clubhouse! It is looking really fantastic!


In addition to my daily time in God's Word, I am also reading (among other books) Behold the Man by Charles Swindoll. It's a look at the end of Jesus' life. I am gleaning much from it. Another book I am re-reading (it is one of my favorites) is The Mother at Home by John S.C. Abbott. It is a fantastic, convicting, encouraging book on how to properly raise children in the fear of the Lord. I hope to write a post quoting and commenting on some of the rich passages in that book!


I was excited to see that my green bean plants (in my raised garden beds) are producing! Of course, there isn't enough to can...there isn't even enough for a family meal...but it was still so exciting to have these coming up in my own little raised garden beds. We haven't planted as much at the big garden with Chris's mom. We do have a lot of corn growing there though, so we will look forward to that coming in!


The children helped our older neighbor pick blueberries the other day....which she kindly shared with us (we shared some with Eloise when she came to town last Friday and she ate a TON! She loves her blueberries!)...



The children were playing with play-doh and created some fun things. Here, Madelyn made a man wearing a pair of jeans...


And Jaxson made a cart (notice the hitch to the left, the tires on the sides)...


The *girls* are doing well...keeping us well-supplied with eggs. We are so thankful...


On Thursday evenings, Chris and I attend a bible study with some lovely folks from our church (true God-fearing, loving and tender-hearted people). We meet at the one family's home on their farm. I just love it. It's absolutely beautiful there. The house was an Amish farmhouse and the gas light fixtures are still in place in the ceilings!

I am sharing a couple photos of around their place, below. I took a photo of the house...but then thought they may not be comfortable with that on the world-wide-web, so I decided not to post that. I just want to show the beauty of some of their property.

I must admit, though, the true beauty lies in the house...in the sweet friendships we have made with this family and many others. Such a blessing they all are, truly. It's a shame I can't capture *that* beauty in photographs. I praise God for the fellowship of other believers.


The evening starts out with singing songs in praise and worship to our God, then after prayer, the children go out to play in the hay barn and fields while we focus on doing a Credo House biblical discipleship study. It's a really great study and Chris and I both glean so much from the videos and our discussions afterwards. A good, biblical bible study is such a great thing to be a part of (and I am in *two*!)!


And now, I must go. My stomach is growling quite loudly and demands to be fed. I am thinking a salad or maybe an egg and turkey bacon may suffice...?

So glad you dropped by today! See you again, here, soon (Lord willing)...

Warmly,
Katy

11 comments:

  1. After hearing your talk about "The Mother at Home", I ordered it last week...I can't wait to read it!

    Your pictures really make me want to live in Pennsylvania, or at least visit!!! I have always wanted to visit Amish country there!! We do have a small Amish community not far from us...when I go and visit there, I don't want to leave, it's just so peaceful!!

    That is SO super about your weight loss!!!!! Congratulations!!!

    Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant 'hearing you talk'....not 'your talk'....also, have you read "The Family" by JR Miller?? It sounds similar to "The Mother at Home" it is one of my all time favorite books!! I'm pretty sure I bought it from Vision Forum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I *do* have The Family by JR Miller. It is one of my favorites, as well. :) I think you will really enjoy The Mother at Home! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the weight loss, what a rewarding feeling for all the hard work. :) Love your blog so homey and loving.

    Blessings
    ~Rhonda~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I love hearing who has stopped by! You have lovely taste! I too am a primitive country decorator.
    I plan to stop by again soon. Looks like we have much in common.
    ~Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, it has been a long time since I visited your blog, so long that I could not even remember my password or user name do I had to start a new one. Any ways congrats on weight loss. Boy the kids have grown. Are you still homeschooling ? I sent you some books way back when, my old blog was farmgirlingastyle. Well I will drop in more often. Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katy when i get up in the morning and have my coffee and toast, i check my blogs, its always the best when i see your blog, such a lovely way to start the day!
    I do not know the time difference between us?
    Can i ask you a question? How far do you have to travel to do your spinning?
    Wishing you katy a lovely day, i am going to put laundry on the line and then i am spending the day with my dear friend kate.
    Best wishes jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the weight loss! Love the play dough figures; the jeans guy is really good.

    Take care,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. 15.5 since the beginning of June is quite impressive. I am starting to exercise again in the evenings. Very rarily do I weigh myself, I go by how my clothes are fitting on me. Have you noticed that yours are a little loose?

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use to weigh myself when I thought I could lose weight in previous months/years...but I find it helps keep me accountable and motivated :). As of this morning, I am now down 17 lbs. I am averaging about 2 lbs. a week which is right on with the calories I am eating, as well. I do notice my clothes getting looser, but I still have a ways to go! :) I bet you feel wonderful to be exercising too! I hope you have a lovely rest of the week! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Hi! I read some comments you made on The Modest Mom blog, and thought I'd take a look at your blog. ;-)
    I love your music on here. I have at least one of the CDs this music is from.
    Congrats on your weight loss! I just completed 8 weeks on a 1200 calorie/Slimfast diet, and have lost 20 pounds so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy