Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Homeschool Planning/ Weight Loss Update


Can you believe we are nearing the end of July already? The summer seems to be flying by! After a couple months of a book-learning break...we'll be hitting the books once again at the end of August. I must admit, I love the smell of the pages of the crisp, clean, new workbooks and text books!


For me to feel ready and organized for our upcoming school year, I like to get the first week of work planned for each child. This can be a bit labor-intensive...as some of the subjects we do all together and some are done individually for each child. Plus, some of the subjects they each do only get done 2 or 3 days a week...so I was trying to figure out what days to do which for each child (so they wouldn't be over or under loaded on any one day).


Saturday, I had books and workbooks spread all over the dining room table as well as a planner for each child. I spent hours getting the days organized and planned for the first week. Now that I have that done, I have a basic layout for the weeks to come and doing the weekly planning through the year will be much easier.

After getting it all figured out, I realized I needed a few things that I didn't have...so I purchased those online and they will be here soon. **This is another reason why it's nice to begin planning ahead of time...so if there *is* anything you are missing, you have ample opportunity to get it!


Here is a look at Xavier's first week of schooling (his art lessons aren't written in, yet, as that is one of the things I had to order the other day)...


Around about at home....

Madelyn, writing thank-you notes from her birthday...


Xavier, reading...


Jack-Jack, the cat...


Weight Loss Update

 I am excited to be able to say....after almost two months of eating right and spinning 3 times a week, I have lost a total of 18.5 lbs! :) I still have a ways to go...but I am *so* much more fit and am happy with how far I have come in these past two months! My goal is to lose 25 lbs by my birthday (which is in the end of August). At this rate, I am confident I will get there. Once I have, I will make my next goal! I had wanted to (originally) lose 50 lbs by Christmas but thought that was pushing it....but with working out so much and seeing the weight come off, I think it just may be feasible!! So far, clothes are fitting *much* better and I think my face has been thinning out (I will take full body photos at some point in this journey too!).


I know many of you have been working at losing weight....how is it going for you? Can I be of any encouragement to you?

"We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them." 
~unknown


 I must admit, mowing, using the reel mower, has been a fabulous thing for me. I burn calories while making the lawn look nice! It is *such* a blessing. I feel stronger and just *better* overall than I have in years! It's a wonderful feeling and I pray the Lord gives me the strength to keep up my level of activity so when I get to the healthy weight for my body, I will be able to maintain well! :)

I am *no* expert (at all) but I know that what I am doing is super-healthy and definitely working. If I can be of any help to you, at all, please feel free to email me (left sidebar)! I want to suggest not doing any crazy fad diets or "quick-fixes". If you are doing this, like me, to honor God and not be sinful in your eating, don't try to find an easy way out. We need to do this the right way. There are loads of healthy recipes and exercises for all types of people...all one needs is a good google search! Be encouraged, friend!

I have gone to many family picnics...and instead of fretting over what I could eat there, I pack myself my own meal in a cooler bag (measured out and recorded) that I take with me. Sure, lots of the picnic foods look so appealing to the eye...but they aren't what my body needs (and really, should we be so self-indulgent that we can't deny ourselves something?). I am fueling this system to work as God designed. :) The internet is a blessing as well...if I know I am going out to eat somewhere (which I haven't really done much of in the past couple months), most places have their nutrition facts posted online. Then I can plan out my meal ahead of time and know exactly how much I can eat!

A good question to ask yourself is: "Are those calories going to be worth eating and then working out for X amount of time to burn off?".

I hope I have been some help to anyone who is working at glorifying God in *all* things (including their health). I hope you will share with me (in the comments or email) on how things are going for you! Thanks so much for coming by and for being so encouraging to me along the way!


Warmly,
Katy

13 comments:

  1. I am so glad you weight loss is going so well for you! You have a beautiful attitude concerning it-I think that goes about as far as exercise and dieting! *good job*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post. Its very good that your plan is going well & it will bring success. Thanks for this sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your weight loss, Katy! And you're going about it the best way! Also great job on the homeschool planning. I'm excited about getting started back. It gives us much more of a routine.

    Enjoy your day! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your school books look so organized!! I need to get on that as well!!

    You are doing super with your weight loss!!! What an accomplishment!!! You are encouraging me to keep up with exercising daily. With eating, I eat everything but in moderation and I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies. Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the weight loss! You are an encouragement by what you just said!

    I need a day without lots of running around to plot out our first week too! We try to start at the beginning of August so I have to get to it!

    Blessings
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the weight loss! You sound like a very busy lady that needs to include time for yourself..which means taking care of yourself. I'm just now learning that about myself at age 60. I'm also starting the homeschooling process with my 14 yr old grandson who is now living with us. What a journey!
    As far as diets, we all have to find the right one that fits us but there is no diet alone that will work unless we understand that it is God behind it all. Prayer for strength and discipline and His helping hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your weight loss! That is a great number for 2 months :-) Looks like all the schooling is coming along well too. Summer seems to be flying by :-) Enjoy your week.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your picture is so pretty! Keep up the good work! You can do it...it is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how fast time is flying, either. I also want to congratulate you on your hard work.
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your weight loss Katy! That is phenomenal progress you should be very proud of yourself! I also have good news to report on that front, I was praying and asking God to make a way for me to not just loose some weight but to help me get more mobility back from the car accident. Well, we got a new dog and she *needs* daily walks and not quickie walks around the block either! Well the first week was super hard for me, I was exhausted and in so much pain that I pretty much walked her and rested while the kids helped run things at home. But I am now moving much better, have better balance and although my pain isn't daily leaving me it isn't as intense as it was (aside from pinching a nerve and getting a two day muscle cramp from sleeping funny)so I am very pleased as well. Keep up the good work sister!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy, you are doing SO great! Praise God for your success so far! He is rewarding your obedience BIG TIME! I really think you'll be able to make your birthday goal. I continue on with you on this journey...eating well, exercising each day, seeking Him daily in this big thing we are doing. Early in the month I only had time for a mile or two walk each day, but as the month is ending I have added biking and a little weight lifting to my evening regimine. I am able to walk AND bike a total 6-8 miles each evening now! I definitely could not have done that two months ago. Many of my clothes are just hanging on me now, but I don't want to get new sizes till we move more into fall temperatures. Heading out on vacation next week for 12 days and I am a little nervous about that. Long car trip=quick bites on the fly and little movement. Not conducive to weightloss, but I'm working on a plan to help me not ruin all my hard work! Oh, and I'm down 14 pounds so far and will make my goal of exercising 75 miles this month! YEAH! ~Kelly in MN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Conrats on your weight loss! I need to get back on the band wagon with you.
    Boy has this summer flown by, my youngest son starts back to school on Aug. 6th. They don't really get summer breaks like we did, but at least they get one.
    Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy