Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Simple Living: Canning


Having food stored is not only a good idea, it's a *great* idea...especially in light of the fact that the people running our country are digging us into more and more debt...and not fixing the problem. Should panic be setting in? No...you pray, spend money wisely and prepare. One way to do this is by canning! I spent some time Sunday evening picking green beans from our garden.

Monday, the children and I began snapping them!


The children continued snapping while I got my canner and jars ready...


The jars were washed in hot, soapy water and then put into boiling water to sterilize and keep hot...




The beans were washed and then placed into the hot jars. Salt and hot water were added and then the lids and seals were put on!


And into the canner they go...


I only got 6 quarts of beans with this picking. We didn't plant as much this year, as we still have some jars of green beans stored in the basement. (But hopefully we'll get a smidge more than 6 qts this year!)

After processing in the pressure canner, the jars are set out for 24 hours. The lids have all **popped** (I love that sound) and sealed...so before they make their way to the basement, they will each be washed and labeled!


Canning is such a rewarding task! The more years you do it, the less daunting it seems. The first few years I canned, it stressed me out. I was afraid I would mess something up...but really, it's very easy and such a blessing! This sort of thing used to be a normal thing for people to do....now, not-so-much. Even if you don't have your *own* garden....you can buy beans and other fruits and veggies at a farmer's market and can them! :) They will be just delicious in the winter, I promise!

Our corn isn't doing well this year. Not sure how much we will get, if any. I am really disappointed. I just love sweet corn. It's a bit of a frustration when you put in all the work....and then don't reap much in the end! I will be thankful, though, for what we have and are blessed with. :) If you would like to see past posts on canning go HERE!

Thanks, so much, for stopping by and taking a peak at my simple life here...it's never anything overly-exciting...just simple doings from a simple gal! I appreciate you taking the time to visit!

Warmly,
Katy

This post is linked up to *Making a Home* at Linda's Lunacy!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 
1 Peter 1:2b

14 comments:

  1. A quick comment as dinner needs preparing.

    Yes , can away! Yes prepare for we need to take responsibility for ourselves.

    As odd as this may seem this time is the best thing that has happened. We may get back to basics and the Word of the Lord and move forward.

    Carrots yesterday for me, cheese today and carrots tomorrow-Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents garden did badly this year because of the dry and excessively hot summer we have had. But they planted some more to grow and be ready in the Fall. So that's an idea. And you are right. Garden veggies which have been canned taste 100 times better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love too can my own stuf but we dont have an garden this yr to do so:(
    Today I was looking thru facebook and seen that somehow I gotten delete from you fb.. I added youu back didnt know if it was a mistake are not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want to can something. Anything:) Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, I LOVE your blog. I have told alot of my Christian friends about your blog and they LOVE it as much as I do! We also at home do canning and my children are older, our oldest is in College and our youngest is going to be going into 11th grade I always wanted to home school them but our schools are great and it comes from home that our sons NEVER got into anything and always knows Christ is right by their side.

    I also went on board with the bully bill and they passed it here in Mass., we live in Hopkinton, Mass., in the country but when my Husband retires in his 50's we are moving to the south, to Tenn.We are in our 40's my husband is in his late 40's and I am 43 yrs young!

    We went on a 2 week vacation there last year and we going again with another couple next summer that also are Christians.

    Our sons are planning to move there as well, we are a tight family!!!!!!!

    God Bless and please keep doing these wonderful posts.
    Also, I do have a question for you . I love that you took your blog posts and made a book. Could you tell me the steps you took to do that? Thanks a bunch!

    I scrapbook everything for our sons each of them. Then I do one for the whole family! So I told my husband about what you did and I would love to find out how to get that done making a book of my posts from my blog!

    God Bless and Summer Blessings to you and your family,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy,
    Our corn did not do well either. I call them nubbins (little ears). I did up bread and butter pickles last week and some of the picklers had little holes in the center...a sign of drought. It didn't effect the flavor, though. This week I plan on doing sweet relish and maybe peaches.

    I agree with you, canning is such a blessing. I freeze, too. I know there are no pesticides and what I buy off my Amish friends is organic as well. When times are tough and we need to stretch the dollar, I have a pantry of canned goods and freezer of goodies to produce a meal. I thank God for all He does provide and the skills He has give us Prov. 31 ladies :) to store up His harvest. He always provides.
    Many blessings, Katy!
    Ruth xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I froze our green beans this year, but I have been canning peaches! So, so good!

    I do like having this skill and passing it along to my girls...

    We didn't do corn this year, but we have onions, and carrots still, and a new crop of green beans coming and broccoli...peppers, and lots of tomatoes!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get much from my beans this year either, I would blame the lack of rain but I watered so who knows.

    I love canning and hope that some day my daughter and my son's wives will take it up. They are very young yet but they love to help!!

    You are absolutely right that canning is something that has been lost on the younger people. I am 34 and I don't know any of my friends who can every year like I do, its just not done. I grew up helping my gram and mom can and I love to hear how my great grandmother canned in 55 gallon barrels that had been cut in half and put over a fire in yard and she canned 1/2 gallons instead of quarts to feed her family of 11 children. I guess you can say canning is in my blood ~smile~!!

    I just recently found your blog and I love it!! Thanks for sharing so much of yourself!!

    Dana- sahm to 3 in VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Katy,

    We had a disappointing season last summer with our tomatoes so I know how you feel about your corn. Just love those little helpers. You're training them up very well Mama.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Canning is such a big job, yet so rewarding! Since our second baby is due next week, we just planned a small garden this summer. I've been picking enough to eat and freezing the small surplus. I enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome! i need to try this, i've never done it before.thankyou for the inspiration :) hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! I am hosting a LIMITED edition giveaway by the amazing Lark Calderon Gomez!

    ReplyDelete
  12. its a sad world out there..its cause me great anxiety how things are going..
    i keep praying for good to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. such good helpers you have!! i need a canner! and a garden! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings

    The most recent edition - http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2012/06/carnival-of-home-preserving-13-come.html - open until Thursday 6/7.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy