Monday, August 15, 2011

Making Memories: Xavier's Birthday Picnic


Xavier was just a *little* excited when he found out what we got him for his birthday....his very own bow and arrow (or as Jaxson calls it ~ a "boat" and arrow!)!



He and Chris already spent time outside, yesterday afternoon, shooting at targets! While they did that, I was inside preparing for his birthday picnic. For X's "cake", I made *corn on the cob* cupcakes!


Here's where I found the idea for them...


I used three different jelly belly colors/flavors (atop my favorite homemade icing), black and white sugar crystals (for the "salt and pepper"), and banana chew candy for the "butter".


They looked better in real life. The pictures don't do them justice...but at least you can get the idea! :)


We went down to Chris' parents' pavillion and got a fire started and things set up for the picnic...



Madelyn made her very own "sandals" earlier in the day! Don't worry...she brought her regular shoes along, too!


Flowers planted in this old, old washing machine! I think it's so pretty!


There were some bees invading our picnic area...so Chris made some *bee traps*!


To go along with the cupcakes, my mom made Dirt...


My mother found a funny game called BeanBoozled.  Oh my, I can't even describe to you how hard we were laughing (luckily, my sister took video though!). There are different kinds of jelly beans. You would spin and have to pick out the certain jelly bean it tells you to. It could be one of two flavors though...a decent, enjoyable flavor or something horribly disgusting (ie: skunk spray, toothpaste, pencil shavings, rotten egg etc.).


My Chris (in the yellow hat) played as well as his brother and his cousin. It was just fantastic as they would chew the jelly bean for a second and then the taste hit them....every once in a while it was a "good" flavor...but more often than not, it was the nasty, atrocious flavor! Their faces were just so, so funny!



I think this is where Chris realized he was chewing skunk spray or centipede (Poor guy, he got centipede a lot!)...


I wish I could remember which one Dan realized he had here...but you can just tell it was something bad....


It was quite the effort to finish chewing and actually swallow the nasty flavors...


But, troopers they are, they kept playing until all the jelly beans were gone! It was just great! We all laughed and laughed and laughed (which is sooo wonderful for the soul, isn't it?)...


Sweet Eloise was there, taking it all in, too! I enjoyed lots of *auntie-snuggle-time* with her!

Xavier was even blessed with a few gifts from loved ones....


Aunt Nen gave him his very own scrapbook that she had made for him!!!


And X can't wait to use his new street hockey things!


It was such a fun evening, despite the rain. The pavillion kept us all dry and comfortable! We are so thankful for the friends and family that came to celebrate with us. It was a day of memories...another day to tuck back into our thoughts and reminisce as the years go by!

Thank you for visiting and sharing in the time with me, as well! I hope you enjoy your week ahead!
Kindly,
Katy

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1 Peter 1:2b

11 comments:

  1. How clever you are, Katy!! It looks like everyone had a blast! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy,

    Those corn on the cob cupcakes are wonderful! I bet he loved them!

    We got Kyle a bow and arrow set for his birthday too! He and his sisters are enjoying using it!

    Have a happy day!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this post!! The corn on the cob cupcakes, the "dirt", the beanboozle... everything! =) Glad to see you all had a lot of fun. Laughter is definitely good for the soul! =D Hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the cupcakes Katy! Looks like everyone had a great time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cupcakes and "dirt" are awesome! I can't get over how realistic the cupcakes are to corn on the cob. I bet they were time consuming to make. Don't you love when you "hit the nail on the head" when you do something for someone and they just really enjoy it!! Jaxson's face is priceless . . . "boat and arrows" haha (:

    Have a great week!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh...I Love the corn on the cob cupcakes! Thank you for sharing your ideas!! It looks like you had a wonderful weekend!!
    Hope you and your Family have a Blessed Day!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such Picture Perfect Post :-)
    Enjoyed visitng as always...
    Blessings and Have a enjoyable
    week...
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, it looks like you had a wonderful time and Xavier got really nice presents.
    Your corn on the cob cupcakes look very delicious, so does the mud cake. I love the decorations on the cake.
    The game sounds like so much fun.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely family celebration filled with love and laughter. And what great gifts for a boy! My children love bows and arrows too. They are always making their own out of plastic pipe or branches and elastic cord. When we bought them a real archery bow (from a garage sale!) they were just thrilled - they need dad there to supervise of course, so they still make their own versions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What cute birthday cupcakes. It looks like everyone had a great time. I will have to look up the jelly bean game. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany
    www.theboydbunch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy