Friday, August 26, 2011

A Foretaste of Heaven

"I believe that a godly home is a foretaste of heaven. Our homes, imperfect as they are, must be a haven from the chaos outside. They should be a reflection of our eternal home, where troubled souls find peace, weary hearts find rest, hungry bodies find refreshment, lonely pilgrims find communion, and wounded spirits find compassion."  

~Jani Ortlund
 
"When a woman says she is a housewife she should say it with the utmost pride, for there is nothing higher on this planet to which she could aspire." 
~John Seymour

If you have been reading here for a while, you simply must know my love for *home* and all things home-making! So needless to say, as the garden produces it's crops...I get canning! (Even on my birthday!)



Snap, snap, snapping beans is, although time-consuming, an enjoyable task. It's not difficult and is a great way for the children to help. It's also something that can be done while have a great conversation with your children or watching a movie!


Wednesday, I enjoyed my 30th birthday. The morning was spent snapping and canning green beans, doing housework and working on some knitting projects. In the afternoon, the children and I made the trip, an hour away, to their dentist for a cleaning. (Back when I had scheduled the appointment, Madelyn heard them suggest August 24th and when I agreed, she cried out "No! Mama, that's your birthday!" I smiled for her sweet thought...but told her that it was just another day!)



Upon returning home, from the dentist, my sister arrived (with Eloise) with lasagna (that she pre-made) to put in the oven for supper! (Her husband, Cory, couldn't be here, unfortunately...but sent birthday wishes my way!) Chris came home from work...his parents and my parents joined us for supper. My mom brought all the fixin's for salad too! So we had a lovely supper and time of fellowship!

Look! I even got balloons...


My sister, creative and thoughtful as she is, gave me a 30 for 30 type of gift! **30 gifts for 30 years**! It was so fun to open them! She made cute, little gift tags for each package!


I got all kinds of fun things...yarn, lotion, softlips (pearl), Toms of Maine toothpaste (the good stuff), and so much more! It was so exciting! I enjoyed it all! **Now I need to come up with something good to match that for *her* 30th birthday (in 2 yrs.)! :)

I have debated telling you what my parents got me...I thought maybe I should wait till I have the actual pictures...but I'm just not good with *waiting*....so I'll tell you now and then be sure to update you when I get photos!! My parents bought me a kid! A newborn, nigerian pygmy baby goat!!! I am so, so excited! Now, the baby is too young to leave it's mama yet...but I just can't wait! They bought it from a friend of mine who raises goats (and mini-ponies and lots of other wonderful animals)! We were hoping for a girl...but a Mennonite couple already had dibs on the two female kids that were born. One of the mama goats is due to deliver any day now..so we are hoping she will have a girl. If not, there is a buck available, as well. :)

Chris has a gift for me too...but says it isn't here yet...and he won't tell me what it is. I have no idea if it is another goat to keep the other one company or what it is! (I also have my heart set on a dairy cow...but I really don't think he will let me have one of those!) So, I have been waiting...ever so patiently (ok, truthfully, *patient* wouldn't be an accurate way to describe me......but I *am* trying!). When can I consider my home a farm? Two dogs, a cat, chickens and now a goat (or two)....does that qualify? ;)

For my birthday cake...my mom brought an icecream cake! It was such a delicious treat! They are my favorite and something I only, usually, get to enjoy once a year! That makes it even more special! Healthy?...Not even close! Delicious?....Absolutely!


I, emotional gal that I am, ended the evening in tears. I was just overwhelmed with the love and kindness of my loved ones...and also the fact that I am now *thirty* years old. It's absolutely shocking to me that I have passed into that age group....I remember when my parents were 30! It's quite bittersweet. I don't really feel it to be a negative thing (goodness, I definitely wouldn't want to be 16 again!). It's just sort-of surreal, I suppose. 

"Aging is an inevitable process. I surely wouldn't want to grow younger. The older you become, the more you know; your bank account of knowledge is much richer."
~William Holden


I have been keeping busy with knitting projects! 


I just finished a hat in the round...


Although it's blue...it's going to be a little girl's hat...I need to finish embellishing it! :)


We are starting our school-year on Monday. I am looking forward to the rhythm and routine of our days. If you haven't...but would like to, you can see how I plan our homeschooling days HERE

Well, I have things to do today...none of which is accomplished while I am on the computer! I hope you have been enjoying your week. Thank you, for all the birthday wishes and kind emails! I appreciate you taking the time to visit! Have a great weekend! 

Warmly,
Katy
Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1 Peter 1:2b

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sweet Katy!! What exciting gifts too! I can't wait to find out what hubby has in store for you! Love, Tina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaww Katy - - What a lovely day - - Good for you! You're so blessed to have such a nice family!

    Have a great weekend! (:

    Mitzi

    P.S. My son made me some pottery pieces that are very similar to the ones you have in your Etsy shop. Gorgeous! I keep checking to see if you might have knitted any star cloths (perhaps with Fall or subtle red / green colors)... hint, hint (;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Katy! I've been reading your blog for a few months now, but I don't think I've commented before. :) I love your blog!

    I hope your day is blessed,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I was already 15 when you were born, LOL, wow, now I feel old;) Hopefully will be becoming a grandma today, my DIL is going to be induced, please say a prayer that all goes well, they are stationed in HI and it's so hard having them so far away! ENJOY THE DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! You have a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY, KATY!!! It looks like you had a Blessed Birthday!! :) Can't wait to see what your husband got you!! :)

    Have a Blessed Weekend!! :)

    P.S. If you have a min...would you Please say a Prayer for my Family living on the east coast...we are all so worried and scared for them! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Katy! I am so glad you enjoyed your day, and I just can't wait to see your new little goat, and to see what your dh is going to surprise you with!
    Blessings,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you had such a wonderful day, Katy!

    Can't wait to see your goat!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you enjoyed your birthday, I am a little older than you (11 years) but age is just a number, it's how you feel and live your life. But I will tell you one thing that make you feel old, when someone new at work is young enough to be your child..that makes me feel a little old (sigh...).

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Special Sister
    In the Lord Katy... may your
    day be filled with blessings
    from above...
    Enjoy... Hugs !!!
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday....30 years old..I remember turning 30 and just couldn't believe I was no longer in my 20's.Now many years later I turned 52 on the 16th of this month. I am the same ole me...just a much older body. Sounds like your day was very special and what wonderful fun gifts. Can't wait to see that kid of yours :)
    Blessings dear Katy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Bithday Katy! Looks like a wonderful day. Can't wait to see pics of the new kid in the family and what dear hubby got you.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful day!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday!! I know that you had such a wonderful day, filled with love and giggles!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy