Monday, August 22, 2011

Preserving the Harvest


Friday morning started out with some strong storms in our area! The pictures above and below were taken during daylight! It was that dark out! We had rain, thunder and lightning! I lit some oil lamps, did some housework and began snapping beans to can.


As soon as the lightning had passed I began washing jars. Since I do it by hand (and not dishwasher), after washing them, I put them in in a big stock pot with water and let them boil before using them to can with...just to make sure they are good and sterile! 

After the beans were snapped and washed, and the jars ready....I began canning beans! Quart jars were filled with beans and a tsp. of salt. Then I added hot water to them. After making sure air bubbles were out, I secured the seals and rings on....and then *into* the canner they went! 


After the green beans were processed in the canner, I set them out to *rest* for a bit. I loved hearing the sound of the jars sealing, randomly. They make this fantastic *POP* sound. It is wonderfully rewarding to hear that. 


The next day....after making sure all the jars had sealed properly, I wrote the year on top of the lid and washed off the jars. I also took off the rings.They, then, are taken to the basement and placed on shelves....awaiting a day we will eat them in the future! 


That same day, I had some corn from our garden that we had picked the previous night. Since I was on a *roll* (so to speak), I decided I would can it, as well!




I was able to get 7 pints of the corn canned. I have posted previously that our corn didn't do very well this year, so I am quite thrilled to get *any* at all! There is still more growing, so hopefully I will be able to get some more canned, as well!


Between housework and canning and homeschool prep (I have our first three weeks planned out, so far)...I have also been working on knitting projects! Here is the latest one to be added to my etsy shop...


Also, in my etsy shop, you will find pottery made by my mom and sister! I hope you will check it out HERE. :) 

Have you been doing any canning recently? I would love to hear about it! It sounds like a load of laundry is finished washing...time to get it hung out on the line! Enjoy your Monday! 

Kindly,
Katy
Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 
1 Peter 1:2b

13 comments:

  1. You have been a busy bee! As of late I have been working on freezing corn. After our bumper crop of green beans (91 quarts canned from one picking!) the garden really slowed down. It was a hot and dry summer here. There have been a few tomatoes canned and grape jelly is next. I also love hearing the *pop* sound. A sweet reward for hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been as busy as we have been around here. Our garden has been a real disappointment this yr...:(, but we are going to our local farmers market to get what we need to can. Our Homeschool starts today...Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is in that bowl of corn?

    love that hat! tooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been canning peaches! Love them in the winter!

    We are starting to get our Amish paste tomatoes in so we are going to experiment with canning sauce.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is music to hear the pops! I love just seeing the jars full, it really warms your heart to see your blessings right in front of you. You are one busy lady, wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love those God given boosts of energy? Your beans look just beautiful, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been very busy. Your finished work looks fantastic.
    I love the knitted hat too.
    Have wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved seeing your harvest canning, but just wanted to make sure you knew in case you did not :-) that you need to use a pressure canner for corn and green beans. Perhaps you did and if so wonderful! Loved seeing the pottery and want to order some of that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw that in the pic after I shared! Thank you for understanding my concern and commenting as such back :-). I learned the hard way many years ago and they all...31 quart spoiled and I cried and cried after a very long day of hard, hot work! ah how well we learn. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm listening to my jars popping as I read! We (my MIL and I) just put up 8 pints of scuppernong jelly. :) YUM. Happy Canning! Love seeing your productivity in your harvesting.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could come over to your place and help you can your harvest. I have never used a pressure canner and I've only preserved some pickles. Hopefully when my fruit trees produce I will preserve some fruit.
    God bless.

    Melissa:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good productive day.....we have a storm cloud coming over and I am praying it will yield us some much needed rain. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the canning. That is something I have never done and have always wanted to do. We live in the city and don't have the best space for planting. Someday I want a big garden. Sadly, no one ever taught me gardening but I shouldn't use that as an excuse :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy