Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Excellent Wife

"God's will for every Christian wife is that her most important ministry be to her husband (Genesis 2:18). After a wife's own personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, nothing else should have greater priority. Her husband should be the primary benefactor of his wife's time and energy, not the recipient of what may be left over at the end of the day."
  ~Martha Peace, The Excellent Wife p. 4

This may seem quite bold of me to say...but I am going to do so anyway. If you are a Christian wife (no matter what your age or how long you have been married)...if you haven't read The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace, you *need* to! I have been reading it and gleaning sooo much incredible wisdom. Some things I knew already....but reading it really puts it in my heart anew! I have been going through, underlining as I go. There is so much I don't want to forget! I will probably re-read it when I finish through this first time. I find that I can pick up even more that way!

"Because God gave me the heart to obey God's Word and will for my life, I am becoming the godly wife that He wants me to be." 
~Martha Peace, The Excellent Wife p. 4

There are so, so many things I have been underlining (and I am sure, many more to come!)...I am sharing just a few of them, here, for you...but please, if you can, buy the book or see if the library has it! You will be so glad you did!

Although I don't *mean* to be selfish...upon closer examination...I find that I *am* terribly selfish. It's embarrassing to admit, but true. I try to fulfill all my roles as wife...but, for example, I find myself "reminding" Chris that the trash needs changed. Usually, I just sound like a nag and I end up doing it myself (begrudgingly) anyway. *Instead*, it would be better to just do it myself from the start (with a cheerful attitude)...it isn't difficult and it leaves one less thing for Chris to have to do. As his helpmeet...that's my job. I shouldn't view it as a thorn in my side...but with joy. I am needed. There is such a gift in that.

"Our view of life is to be God-centered, not self-centered. We are here to serve Him, rather than Him being here to serve us. He alone is worthy to be praised." 
~Martha Peace, The Excellent Wife p.9

"It will help you to have the right attitude if you focus on what you are supposed to be doing, not on what your husband is supposed to be doing." 
~Martha Peace, The Excellent Wife p.12

Ouch! Did anyone else feel as though that quote above was meant for them (or is it just me?)? Oh how I desire to be an excellent wife...selfless, compassionate, kind, hard-working. I'm trying, daily. I want to be just the woman God wants me to be..don't you? I am sure, as I continue in reading this book...I will have more to post about....it is just full of wonderful things. If you have read this book...I would *love* to hear your thoughts on it!!

I have to be quick....there are more beans to pick at the garden tonight. Then we'll be busy snapping and tomorrow morning, I will be busy canning. Then the children have a dentist appointment in the afternoon. Oh, *and* tomorrow is my 30th birthday. Yes...the big 3-0. Luckily for me, my sister and mom are coming over to make me supper tomorrow evening!! **Eloise is coming too...yippee!**

I have some things to share before I go, though! Here was a recipe I threw together last night...potatoes, eggs and cheese....all together in a casserole! I boiled the potatoes first and put them in a buttered dish then added beaten eggs and cheddar cheese! It tasted really good with ketchup! :)


Our favorite rolls, fresh from the oven...


A bit of excitement happened in our household last night...Jaxson (my baby) lost his first tooth! He was so excited...I tried not to cry (he's growing up!). We don't do the toothfairy...but it was just special in and of itself! It fell out in the bathtub while I was giving him a bath! I had to find it in the water! Here's my little guy...squeaky clean and minus a tooth...


Yesterday, the boys got quite picklie (is that a word?) with each other. Little arguments got bigger and bigger. I decided that it was time for them to give the kitchen floor a good scrubbing (if they have time to argue ~ they have time to clean). Unfortunately for me, they enjoyed it! It didn't work as much of a punishment if they are laughing while washing! Oh dear! ;)


I've been knitting in all my free time. Trying to work on projects to sell in my shop.



Here are a couple of the newest additions...

A white baby hat...



A brown baby hat...


The pottery in my shop is made by my mom and sister! They do lovely work! I hope you will check it out! 

Thanks so much for coming by! Until next time.....
Warmest wishes from this *still* (for a few more hours) 29-year-old,
Katy


Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1 Peter 1:2b

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post!! It's not easy to see when we are being selfish! Sometimes we need a gentle reminder!

    I hope you have a wonderful birthday!! My 30th is coming too quickly as well!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read quite a lot of books on family and homemaking but that is one I have not yet read. One to add to my list that will encourage and challenge me!
    You are only going to be 30? In my 20's I used to think 30 seemed old but my next big 0 will be my 50th but that is not for another 5 years. I always remember a card I received on my 21st which had Charlie Brown looking at 21 candles on the cake and declaring '21?' Don't be silly, no one is that old!' I don't feel old at all and I think it is because I am so busy at home and my children keep me young which leaves no time to survey or fret over wrinkles in front of the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying not to be selfish is a daily struggle. I am working on it. :) I use to read the newstand women's magazines but I found it discouraging with all the articles about "me" time.

    Your casserole looks great! I usually shred my potatoes and never thought to boil them and just throw them it. My meat and potato man would probably like it better that way.

    I really enjoyed my thirties. I turned forty this year and it just keeps getting better! Hope you have a great birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm your dinner looks tasty & the rolls! Do you have the rolls recipe on your blog??

    I have this book and love it! I probably will re-read the book again too. I find myself doing that often, I love to read.. Another great book is Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl.

    Thanks for sharing~ I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy,
    You have a wonderful heart! Thanks for the timely reminder about being a good and godly wife.
    And....have a Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a very Happy Birthday!!
    I agree with your comments concerning The Excellent Wife! It is an encouragement and teaching tool!
    Katy, I want to ever so gently encourage you to let your hubby know that you do need his help. It is not nagging if asked gently. But your children are also old enough to help you out. When mine were the age of your children, one son, each morning emptied the hamper and brought the clothes to the washer. (He still does this) Another was in charge of walking the dog. They can be completely in charge of cleaning their rooms (with your inspection;) Feeding animals, putting away groceries, simple food preparation and kitchen chores, sorting and folding laundry and putting away clothes, always working with you. They will watch you and learn the correct way to accomplish a task. The older they get, they will be able to completely take over these jobs, which will help eliminate your pressure.
    You husband works hard, as mine does, but when your children are small, YOU DO need his help from times to time. It is okay to ask. :)
    Much love to you, friend!
    Ruth xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read the Excellent Wife and to me it was an eye opener as well as an excellent read. I pray that you have a wonderful birthday and that God will bless you with many many more. We just celebrated my twins birthday yesterday, they turned 9. I did a post for their birthday yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATY!! (:

    * I could just hear little guys giggling in the floor through your picture * he-he Bet they forgot all about why they were squabbling.

    Have a good time with your family!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Mine is Friday.:) I just finished a book entitled: How To Encourage Your Husband by Nancy Campbell. It was excellent also. I will have to read the one you suggested. The Above Rubies Retreat was full of uplifting encouragement on that same topic.:) Have you ever been to one?
    Have a great birthday.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany
    www.theboydbunch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Post like you said no
    matter how long you been married
    it's a gentle reminder.. for sure
    Proverbs 31: 25 She is a woman of
    strength and dignity and no fear of old age..

    Proverbs 31:17
    She is energetic, a hard worker
    and watches for bargains, she works
    far into the Night (TLB)

    Many Warm Blessings to all
    Ladybug ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to you. Mine is the 28th, so we're not that far apart, only mine will be my 47th ; )
    Your food looks so delicious and the projects you made are wonderful. Good luck with the canning.
    Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Katy! I hope you enjoyed your special day. Please send your mother a special "thank you" for us giving us you, a wonderful woman. BTW, if the boys get into any more arguements, please send them my way, I could use a extra hand with my kitchen.

    Shelby Morris

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely post as usual..
    LOve the baby hat, its adorable..
    Have a lovely day..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy,

    Happy belated birthday!! Your 30's will be a great new adventure! I turn 37 tomorrow :-) Time does fly by!

    I will have to read this book it sounds really good.

    Many blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and quote(s)!

    Jax and my youngest grand , Genna, have the same tooth gone. Genna lost hers about a week ago and opps, doesn't know where it went!

    Have a happy 30 , you will catch up with me in 32 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello dear Katy,
    I will read the book when my children going back to school (here in France we don't homeschooling our children). I have order the book and the study book too. In one week, I will beginn to read it!!!!!
    Be blessed and all your family too.
    Sandra a reader from France

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy