Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Living the Word

What's guiding your life (and the lives of your children)...the Word or the world???

"If we are going to live by the Word in our homes, we can't use the Bible as a jumping-off point; it must be our law, our guide, our model, and our source. We must submit ourselves to its teaching from pillar to post. And that includes the way we discipline our children." 
~Voddie Baucham, Family Driven Faith p. 116

"We are called upon to employ biblical truth in every aspect of our lives, especially as it pertains to multigenerational faithfulness and the discipleship of our kids."
 ~Voddie Baucham, Family Driven Faith, p. 108



My dear Christopher (how I love him!) and I have been focusing on raising our children biblically. This, often, takes us from doing things the world sees as "normal" out of our lives. Many look at us strangely for our decisions and sometimes even criticize us...but we are aiming to please God and not man.

For instance, we don't *do* Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. Although many see us as taking the "fun" from our children, this is not our intent at all. I just absolutely refuse to lie to my children (Colossians 3:9-10). I am all **for** imagination and pretending....we enjoy fairy tales and movies but I make sure they always know these things are not real. This is not meant in judgment of others....just personal convictions for us.

"...if we are to experience multigenerational faithfulness we must come to a place where we throw off the shackles of our culture and live in the fullness that is found only in Christ. We must be people who live the Word in our homes." 
~Voddie Baucham, Family Driven Faith p. 112 (emphasis mine)


I encourage you, if you haven't yet, please take the time to read a letter I wrote to *you*. I am passionate about *families*. I want to see them strengthened and revived. I don't want divorce to be so commonplace. I don't want children (and parents) to think it's normal to dress in revealing clothes (shorts keep getting shorter and shorter, don't they!?) just because it has been deemed culturally acceptable. I want to see parents protecting their children from the world as it moves further and further away from the One True God.


"Radical obedience to Christ is not easy... It's not comfort, not health, not wealth, and not prosperity in this world. Radical obedience to Christ risks losing all these things. But in the end, such risk finds its reward in Christ. And he is more than enough for us." 
                            ~David Platt (Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream)



Being a parent carries a lot of responsibility...not only in a child's physical well-being but also in training them spiritually! I am *far* from perfect...but striving to be the mother God made me to be, daily. I also try to encourage other mothers around me....for we are the *main* influence in our children's lives! :)


At home...
The temperatures, here in Western PA, have cooled down significantly. We are now enjoying temperatures in the mid-high 70's! It's just wonderful! It's the perfect weather for picnics and playing outdoors!


It's also cool enough to bake. When the temps are in the 80's and 90's, it is much-too-difficult to turn on the oven and bake.


We have had a bit of rain, at times, as well. On those days, the children enjoy playing Legos indoors.


I have been knitting and knitting some more, items for in my etsy shop. I have already sold my first set of dish cloths...but am working on more! :) Madelyn has been knitting *bracelets* for herself...


I need to get going. Devon and Eloise are in town today!! I need to get some housework done and will then get to spend some time snuggling my niece! I wish you a beautiful day ahead and leave you with this, to encourage you today:


"Life is wasted if we do not grasp the glory of the cross, cherish it for the treasure that it is, and cleave to it as the highest price of every pleasure and the deepest comfort in every pain. What was once foolishness to us—a crucified God—must become our wisdom and our power and our only boast in this world." 
                                                                                                          — John PiperDon't Waste Your Life

Warmly,
Katy

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
  1 Peter 1:2b

16 comments:

  1. Katy... well said. Though we have always done the Santa and easter bunny with our children,we have also taught them the real reason for each holiday. This is really important to me that they know the biblical truth. They are a little bit older now, so they don't believe.
    There is nothing wrong if you choose not to have the Santa or Easter bunny in your life. The way you are raising your children is great. You have a wonderful and beautiful family, so you must be doing something right. I try not to let others influence me out of my beliefs. Trust me Katy you are perfectly normal. As I said once before I love your blog and look forward everyday to reading it. The way our world is, we need God in our lives more and more.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post. We do not teach our children santa or the others either. We have been told we are not letting our children have fun. I knew someone who's parents only taught santa and when they got older they were mad at their parents for not telling them the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words, Katy. We are called to be in the world but not a part of the world...that seems to be lost in so much of modern Christianity. We just want to walk with God, looking to His word for guidance.

    Love that book by Voddie Baucham.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! I would like to relay a story to you. When my mother was little, her parents told her about Santa. One day at school, a child told her he wasn't real and when she went home, she asked her mother. After learning the truth, my mother's first question to her was "Is God make-believe too?" Because of this, my family never taught my sister and I to believe in Santa, although we did like to make-believe him we knew where our presents came from and what the real reason for the celebration was. We've carried this tradition on in both of our families, and we've found that it makes the season both holy and joyous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I identify with you Katy. We too have been regarded as 'strict and strange' by other Christians for doing things like having our children sit with us in church and not allowing our girls to read books about teenage vampires! I once shared politely and respectfully, when a discussion came up at a social gathering of a group of ladies from church, some of my concerns about these books and movies and I was given strange looks and was even told these were 'good' movies for our girls to go and see! Not one person defended me. I wanted the ground to swallow me up that night. I came home and cried and this is why I often feel that I stand alone in my convictions about the acceptance of the culture by Christian families in the place where I live.
    I am so encouraged to know I am not on my own and that there are other parents such as Christopher and yourself who are prepared to 'throw off the shackles of culture' as Voddie Baucham states.
    Thank you for sharing your convictions in such a respectful way. I think we all need to ask ourselves that question you opened your post with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather is so much nicer now that it is cooler. I don't do the santa bunny tooth fairy or halloween. I always felt it was lieing to my kids. I have been viewed as mean by my childrens father. I think my life would have been much eiser if I was not taught so many fantasy's early in life. The wonderful house & picket fence & loving husband & so many kids dose not always come true. But the one true thing is God & what he offers us all if we just believe & accept. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Post Katy Keep Up the great
    work and the Lord will continue to
    bless you and your family...
    It's not always easy being a Christian and standing upon on our Biblical Truth it's a life I so
    treasure..Thank you for sharing
    from the heart....
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do 3 gifts for our children every year. The J-O-Y system. One gift represents something regarding Jesus, one that they can use with others, and one that they can use for themselves (yourself). It cuts down on all of the spending and craziness of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy, what a beautiful post. This is something that I am struggling with with my youngest 2 daughters. We did the Santa, etc because we were young and that was how we grew up. With the 2 little ones, I am older and wiser and I really dislike the idea of lying to them about anything. My older girls just think I am being cruel to "rob" them of the "magic".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not do Santa or Halloween with my children. We were criticized for this and I had more than one run-in with their classroom teachers about this. Guess what? They are well adjusted adults now who weren't damaged at all by my honesty. Interestingly, they all 'do' Santa and Halloween with their families; which is their perogative. I think of the apostle Paul's admonition in Corinthians 10. We need to follow our conscience and not judge others for their choices. Anyway, that's how I view it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Katy,
    I do love to read your words of wisdom. I also believe you are doing exactly what God would have you do. Staying in God's Word is the only way we can live the life He desires for us. I wish you peace and joy as you mother your lovely family.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Katy,
    I do love to read your words of wisdom. I also believe you are doing exactly what God would have you do. Staying in God's Word is the only way we can live the life He desires for us. I wish you peace and joy as you mother your lovely family.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather from Illinois :)August 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM

    Hi Katy!
    Just wanted to encourage you to keep on keepin' on! We, too, celebrate(ed) Christmas as Christ's birth and Easter as his death and resurrection. I explained to my children that God expects us to live different than the world. I was trying to teach them to not blend in, but to be a light.

    My oldest just got married this year. My children are 22, 21, 17, and 15 (Thus the "ed".). I can assure you my children have grown up to be beautiful Christian young adults. I take no credit. I only tried my best to follow God's leading. Many days I did this miserably, but one of my prayers was for God to cover my children in the area where I was imperfect.

    My kids (nor I) are perfect, but (if I may brag a little) they DO stand out as Christians. I, too, homeschooled for awhile. I eventually felt led to place my kids in public school. My boys seek out Christian tee shirts to wear and my oldest son actually leads an after school Bible study on the high school campus. God has used him and my youngest son in a way that I could never imagine. My oldest is a senior this year and is looking at colleges to become a pastor (Maybe I could submit this as a prayer request to you.).

    Anyway, enough of my bragging. Just wanted to send you a word of encouragement.

    Blessings...Heather from Illinois :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy