Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"I believe it would be much better for everyone...

 ...if children were given their start in education at home. No one understands a child better as well as his mother, and children are so different that they need individual training and study. A teacher with a room full of pupils cannot do this. At home, too, they are in their mother's care. She can keep them from learning immoral things from other children." 
~Laura Ingalls Wilder

My position on public school (or even private school) vs. homeschooling is pretty apparent when reading my blog. Don't get me wrong....I have family and friends that are teachers. People I love and respect. It's not a personal issue with teachers (although I know a great many that are *not* teacher-material...I had a history teacher once that was tenured and all he did was assign reading and questions to answer while he sat with his newspaper at his desk most days....just awful, I tell you!). It's more of an issue with *what* is taught and the interaction with other children (in a classroom appointed by the school...aka: government).

"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." 
~Voddie Baucham

"Many object to homeschooling or private Christian schools based on the fact that God has called us to be “salt” and “light” and to evangelize the world. Ironically, this is precisely why we chose homeschooling. The Great Commission states: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey all that I command you” (Matthew 28:19-20, emphasis added). How is this likely apart from Christian education? . . . Let me be clear–I applaud men and women whom God has called to teach in government schools. These people are front-line warriors, and they need to be right where they are. However, there is a big difference between sending fully trained disciples into enemy territory and sending recruits [children] to our enemy’s training camp. If we do the latter, we shouldn’t be surprised when they come home wearing the enemy’s uniform and charging the hill of our home waving the enemy flag."
~Voddie Baucham (bold, mine)

For us, we feel that the best place for our children to grow and learn is at home, under the guidance and protection of their parents. I am so thankful we still have this freedom. Our first day went well...we actually got through our day quicker than I had anticipated, as the children were eager to learn and very cooperative! It was nice! Of course, there will be difficult days to come. Everyone isn't always "eager" and "cheerful" each day. But, through prayer, I am confident that God will give me the wisdom and strength I need to handle each situation, as they come!

Some photos from our day...








I just finished up (last night) this sweet little pumpkin hat! I am so pleased with how it turned out! It is now in my shop! I have now received some custom orders already! I need to get busy knitting!


Thank you for visiting! I hope you, whether homeschooling or not, have a *great* year! My best wishes sent out to *each* of you!!
Warmly,
Katy
Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 
1 Peter 1:2b

13 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. It is very encouraging! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Katy! We love homescooling too....it gives us a stronger family bond!! Love that pumpkin hat if I had any littles that small they would need one too cute! Gotta get busy....Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,

    Had some questions about home schooling, are you required to have a set number of days for classroom instruction and do your children, along with other locally homeschooled children take a test somewhere to make sure they are placed in the correct grade and keeping up with everything they are taught. Like, for instance, say one of your children is really struggling, can you hold them back a year and re-teach them at the same grade level?

    Still find home schooling interesting (and somewhat a mystery).

    Thanks,
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to homeschool our kids, but hubby is not on board with me on that 100%, so they go to public school.

    I love that first quote! So true. My reasons for wanting to homeschool are many. But since I can't, I choose to supplement them at home with whatever they are learning at school, and beyond, plus learning the bible and what it really means to follow Jesus.

    I love your lil pumpkin hat! It is adorable!

    Blessings, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are doing a wonderful job with your homeschooling. I admire your patience and dedication. Around our area, it seems that the home-schooled kids do as well or far above the public schools. You are doing a great job all the way around. I love coming to see what you and all your family are doing. I also love your sister and Eloise. Congratulations with your shop!
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, all for the lovely comments! :)

    S...
    Yes, we must do 180 days or 900 hrs of schooling. At the end of the year, we hand in a portfolio of our daily log (what we did each day), and samples of their work/tests etc. A teacher/supervisor checks it and makes sure it is up to par and then we hand it into the school district for the superintendant to look over. If they find it satisfactory, then they let us know.

    Homeschooled children have to take a standard test in 3rd, 5th and 8th grades. Usually, a typical homeschooled child does better on tests and has learned more at home, than at school! :)

    I hope I have answered your questions well!!!
    Kindly,
    Katy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Katy!

    That pumpkin hat is darling!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Perfect Said Katy...

    Love your little pumpkin too
    adorable

    Country Blessings
    Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fully respect everyones schooling decisions but please understand that many Christians, like myself, are on the other end of the spetrum. Public school is a ministry focus for our family. Our boys are taught that and we pray over them, over their teachers and classmates. My oldest child, who is 11, started doing daily devotions on his own initative, outside of family time. He prays for classmates and has even witnessed. While getting a good education (all three of my boys test several grade levels ahead in math and reading) they are being educated on a world that needs Jesus. They are seeing it firsthand. I was too sheltered growing up, I went to a Christian school. It wasn't until I was in my mid-thirties that I witnessed to someone for the first time, shameful! I want so much more for my boys. I feel that while they are under my care/roof I want them to understand just how lost this world is and have a passion to reach the lost. I just wanted to write that to let others know that those of us who choose public school aren't just doing so blindly. We have a purpose and a plan in it. Thankfully, we attend a church that is 80% full of public school families. We have a ton of support. I think it is good to hear others perspectives and just wanted to share. I hope I didn't offend anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. S ~ Of all 50 states, PA is #1 in requirements and regulations. If you home educate disabled children, there are even greater regulations.

    Katy and others ~ As you know, I agree with your thoughts, Katy. As a former public educator, Christian school educator, and home school parent, I have experienced every branch of the PA education system.

    Educating our children is a Biblical mandate. As with any portion of our walk with the Lord, it is up to us just how closely we follow.

    With our military, we have soldiers, who, after bootcamp, are thrust into battle. We also have West Point graduates who have trained, obtained leadership abilities, and are ready to lead the troops into battle. They are prepared.

    When I home educated our sons, I was educating them at "West Point", not in the midst of war. (If you do not believe that public school is a battle ground, interview the faithful youth in your church.) Children are easily influenced, for the most part, do not have the courage to stand against sin 100%, and are being exposed to too much sexual information too early, IMHO.

    Those who say they send their children to public school as missionaries, I say, "There are better ways that will not put your child in danger spiritually." What are you doing, as the parent, to reach these youth...or are you leaving the witnessing up to your children? If you want to raise spiritual leaders, where will they receive the best education....your home or the public school?

    Thank, Katy, for allowing me to share my soul this morning! ~ Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please everyone listen to Miss Katy about Homeschooling!!! I too listen to about 90% of our church family and sent my children to public school...I went to public school and so did everyone we know. So to public school my kids went. Now lets fast forward around 9 yrs and my oldest has now tried drugs...and my yongest is on medication for depression. We had to take a stand and remove all of our children from public school and start homeschooling, and Praying the whole time my kids will recover from all of this!!! Please keep in mind while my kids were in school I was involved at their school...I worked there and was the President of the PTO. The only way to make sure your children are taught what you want them to is at home!! Please don't make my mistake...because my children are the ones paying the price of public schools!!!

    Thank you Katy for having such a wonderful blog, and for including your Homeschooling in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't agree more and I was once a classroom teacher.:) My oldest two kids went to school until I resigned. My only regret is that I didn't homeschool them their ENTIRE school career. Parents should be the primary influence in a child's life until they have a firm spritual foundation. I wish I had known the blessings and benefits of homeschooling when we first began parenting. I know things all work together for good in God's great design, therefore I have made it my mission to share with others what a blessing this has been to our family. There is no greater joy than to be saved, a wife, homeschooling parent, and mommy. :)

    Many Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I love the quotes.
    Your little hat is very cute!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy