Monday, November 3, 2008

You Are Special!

One of my favorite children's books is "You Are Special" by Max Lucado! (notice our copy is pretty worn from lots of use!) Have you ever read this book...or any of the Wemmicks books by Max Lucado? I absolutely LOVE them!

This is the description of the book:

Every day the small wooden people called Wemmicks do the same thing: stick either gold stars or gray dots on one another. The pretty ones--those with smooth wood and fine paint--always get stars. The talented ones do, too. Others, though, who can do little or who have chipped paint, get ugly gray dots. Like Punchinello.

In this heartwarming children's tale from the best-selling pen of author Max Lucado, Eli the woodcarver helps Punchinello understand how special he is--no matter what other Wemmicks may think. It's a vital message for children everywhere: that regardless of how the world evaluates them, God cherishes each of them, just as they are.


It is such a simple story....yet so true and how often do we, as adults, forget this simple message? Our worth is measured by God...not the world. So why do we often try to impress the world? God desires for us to know that we belong to Him and that he created us and loves us just the way we are.


I wanted to share a few things that I have truly cherished lately.....

A poster Madelyn made for me! Isn't it so sweet? She loves to write encouraging and loving notes....I love it!
Who doesn't love a fort?? I remember doing this all the time when I was young! My kids love to do it too!
And of course, fresh eggs!!!! Woooohooooo! I just washed these ones..... (the girls hadn't been laying for a while...and it was such a bummer not getting any eggs...but all of a sudden...VOILA! Eggs started coming again!!!)
(We recycle old cartons that people have bought eggs in and saved for us to put our eggs in. We have sooooooooo many egg cartons LOL!)

The kids are going to go down to my inlaws' meat market today and help make some more cider. They have leftover apples from before and asked the kids if they wanted to come down to help! What a fun time for the kiddos! :) I will get housework done and such! I hope you all have a lovely Monday! :) xoxo

14 comments:

  1. ah! So THAT's where the whole 'yellow star - grey dot' thing comes from! ;)

    I have never read the book (or even heard from them), but I've seen the subject in a drama skit once or twice.. now I know where they got the idea from!

    greetings from the netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too love that story - and forts in the living room. Jessie and Tyler are really into writing notes to us right now - it's always nice to receive. Our chickens haven't started laying yet - still may be too young. I'm hoping they start soon though!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh eggs....ohhh, I'm totally jealous! And what a sweet little note your daughter made! I have several that are similar to this that I made when I was a little girl. She will love seeing that one day. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey used to have that book. :)
    And oh my gosh, building forts! We used to do that all the time. Kelsey and I camped out under our dining room table draped with sheets one night. It was so much fun. We used flashlights and sleeping bags. Your pictres sure brought back memories. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to check out that book...love Max Lucado.
    And how sweet that your daughter made you that poster! She sounds like my six yr old who is always doing things like that, too!

    Blessings,
    ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little ones were always building forts - they were so cozy.

    And what lovely fresh eggs! We are hoping to get some hens next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like Madelyn is going to be the little encourager like her Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, thanks for visiting my site and entering the giveaway! Good luck!

    Angie
    "Nana's Box"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a little behind on my blog reading... wait a minute--I don't have a little behind! Anyway, I'm catching up today. Love the Halloween outfits and the fort and the eggs and the note and all of it! You always have such cheerful posts for me to read! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Katy! That book sounds really good! I'm gonna get it for Lauren, she could use it right now! School can be a tough place and right now she is going through a stage where she would rather be home with me than be at school. Anything that can make her feel better, I'm gonna try. We get eggs from my daughter Emily's best friend Mary and her family. They are big time farmers in our area. You have a good day Katy! ~Beth~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read that book, but have read lots of adult books by Max Lucado. He sure has a way with words!
    And I love the poster too. How sweet! I think all of us have made forts to play in. That is a happy memory for me too.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for entering my giveaway! sorry you didn't win, but please stop by and visit my store anytime!! (www.mymarkstore.com/hkoopman)

    Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet of Madelyn to make you that poster. My grandchildren make forts all the time and I remember doing it as a child. Such simple fun! Those eggs look great. What time do we show up for breakfast???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just love that book, Katy! I have read it to Colton since he was just a little one.

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy