Saturday, November 22, 2008

Giving From The Heart

Have you ever heard of Samaritan's Purse...or Operation Christmas Child? It is a wonderful outreach that gives joy and shows love to others through cheerful giving! People pack shoeboxes for certain age groups for boys and girls. Then the gifts are shipped all over the world to children who have nothing! It is such a wonderful outreach! Here is a list of FAQs!

Our church is one of the drop off centers in our area. I volunteered a couple nights to "man the collection center". The first night I went...I had my kiddos with me...Oh the chaos! LOL Then I was there again last night...and it was peaceful and super quiet (almost too quiet!).

I think it is soo exciting that kids all over the world will open their shoeboxes and I wish I could be there when they do. We have seen video of when the kids open them...and it is soooo neat and humbling to watch them open their boxes with such excitement! While they get their boxes...they also learn about Jesus, love, giving and care! :)

Here are some pics of our collection so far....remember...each of these big boxes holds between 10-15 or so, shoeboxes!!!




Now imagine....this amount times ALL the locations across the US that collect them!!! Isn't that soo exciting?? And then they get taken to the BIG collection center to get ready to ship to the kids! :) If you are interested in volunteering next year or some other time....you can take a look at it HERE.

I took a couple pics of what the weather was doing while I was there. It was snowing like crazy! :)

And while I waited for people/churches to bring their shoeboxes...I worked on my knitting! :)

It is such a wonderful cause. You can really spread the love of Jesus and do some cheerful giving to children who will truly appreciate it by packing a shoebox! It is a truly wonderful thing to be part of!!! Hope you all have a great weekend! xoxo

16 comments:

  1. Katie I love Samaritans purse I have gone and worked in the warhouse several yrs not going to get there this year and I sure will miss it, it always puts me in the Christmas spirit! It is a great orgnization. So glad you were able to participate too! Have a great Saturday! Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have something similar over here. Well done to your group doing it. You look like you have a good "crop" for this year. I plan on the boys having 1 shoebox each that they can fill.

    Love the photos of snow you post :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of this charity. It sounds it reaches a ton of people. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do that here too. The kids each make a shoebox for a child. ITs interesting to see what the kids will put in them each year. They put so much thought in to what they think would be a "perfect" gift to include int he boxes. They always draw cards and write letters to include.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy! Those snow pics are awesome!! I especially love the one with the crosses. :)

    And, volunteering with a Diet Coke and a little knitting... sounds like a fabulous day to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our church has done this for several years now...My dd and I enjoy gathering items to fill shoe boxes. I'd love to be there when they are handing them out...I think it would be so awesome to see the look on the kids' faces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Katy,

    I'm involved in Operation Christmas Child at my church too! I LOVE this and enjoy collecting my shoe boxes throughout the year!

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a humanitarian effort. You are doing a good thing and it makes me proud. We collect food and money for the local food banks.
    It never seems to be enough but we can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did Samaritan's Purse this year at church - the video was so moving! Although your church collected way more than ours did - I think we did 160 shoeboxes...
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I decided to do this for a local church in my town. I've been meaning to post a blog about it..along with a pic of Kate with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard of this ministry. Our church was collecting donations this year for it.I however did not get a chance to donate because I just didn`t have enough information on it and by the time the boxes were due I had forgotten.I`m glad to hear it was a success.Wow!!They sure got alot of shoe boxes collected for the children!!That`s so wonderful Katy!!Have a blessed day!!Love and blessings,Toni

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awesome! We have a program here (Operation Angel Tree)where we pick an angel from a big community Christams tree. The angels have the info for a needy family in our area with a short list of what each person would like to have or needs. We try to participate each year.
    The local churches here also do teh Samaritan's Purse. Isn't it wonderful? Once I saw a video of some Russian children opening their boxes. They were so happy and thirlled just to get a piece of candy! It was very moving and touched me deeply. I wish EVERY child could be happy on Christmas morning and know that Jesus loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katy,

    We have participated in Operation Christmas Child for many years now...with our homeschooling group and also with our boys and girls clubs at church for the past couple of years. I can't even begin to relay how blessed I am to do so. Our homeschooling group turned in 22 boxes this year, although last year it was even more. I can just imagine the children getting their packages and how grateful they are! One year, we got a letter from the brother and sister that got our boxes and they were holding their stuff and the picture of my kids. It really made an impression on Joy! (and me too). Anyway, you're right...if you haven't volunteered or participated....you're missing a blessing!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our school does this every year too, Quinn loves picking stuff out for it. He wishes he could see the children open them though. Sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katy, our church is doing the same thing! I think it is so wonderful. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a WONDERFUL thing to be involved in...GIVING is what it's all about, that's the true spirit of the season...and should last all year 'round!
    How wonderful for you, and to know that you are touching so many lives! That's awesome.

    Great job on your knitting!! ;)


    Have a blessed day, Katy!

    hugs-Kath

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy